NEurope
Shorty

The new anime and manga thread! [Use Spoiler Tags!]

I haven't followed Naruto in years, but this spoiler was obvious from the beginning.

It goes without saying there's a lot more to be revealed. Like you say Obito couldn't have fought Minato. My thinking is that someone like Madara rescued Obito and trained him like an apprentice. And it was Madara who faced Minato.

Can't wait for next weeks issue.

Yeah, that seems to be the theory going around at the moment and to be honest it's the only plausible one. If it turns out that it was actually HIM fighting Minato then Kishi has officially lost it.

Then how come he seemed to be a fully grown adult when fighting Minato during the 9 tailed beast attack on the village. Also, how the hell did he hold his own against Minato? He was only 13 when he "died" so in a year he healed, grew up and somehow gained all these new jutsu.

I was thinking it was a year but was it? They finished the rest of the war and Minato had become Hokage. How long was he Hokage for and how long did the war continue for? Even if it was 4 years it's a bit unbelievable since Obito sucked, and I'm not sure how quickly Rin died. He's probably upset about that.

I was thinking it was a year but was it? They finished the rest of the war and Minato had become Hokage. How long was he Hokage for and how long did the war continue for? Even if it was 4 years it's a bit unbelievable since Obito sucked, and I'm not sure how quickly Rin died. He's probably upset about that.

Yeah, it was a year as far as I know.

Here's some more stuff that doesn't make sense. Itachi planted a trap in the Sharigan if Sasuke ever came into contact with Madara, when Sasuke looked at him for the first time the trap went off. If it was Obito then why did it go off?

Also didn't Kisame essentially killed himself to protect the identity of the person under the mask? This was the person controlled the Mizukage, which was Madara.

Yeah, it was a year as far as I know.

Here's some more stuff that doesn't make sense. Itachi planted a trap in the Sharigan if Sasuke ever came into contact with Madara, when Sasuke looked at him for the first time the trap went off. If it was Obito then why did it go off?

Also didn't Kisame essentially killed himself to protect the identity of the person under the mask? This was the person controlled the Mizukage, which was Madara.

The sharingan thing from Itachi makes sense since it's not like he dug up Madara and set it to go off when he saw that sharingan. Just set it to go off for Tobi, who Itachi happened to think was Madara.

Poor Kisame then :p Surprised Itachi was tricked tbh. So far he has known everything.

Oh man, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but it sounds awesome/terrible. Something related to Obito, maybe? Keep the spoiler tags up (looking at you, Deathjam!)

I'm an anime-only fan, and the latest arc has been kinda pants up until Naruto and Madara got back into the fight. Does the story get better after the War arc?

Oh man, I have no idea what you guys are talking about but it sounds awesome/terrible. Something related to Obito, maybe? Keep the spoiler tags up (looking at you, Deathjam!)

I'm an anime-only fan, and the latest arc has been kinda pants up until Naruto and Madara got back into the fight. Does the story get better after the War arc?

The Manga is still at the War arc. :D

Ha oh really? Wow, does it go on a long time, or is the anime catching up again?

Ha oh really? Wow, does it go on a long time, or is the anime catching up again?

It has been going on for a while now. Not sure where the anime is as I stopped watching it due to the amount of filler. As soon as the filler started after the Pain arc I was done.

Considering that it's chapter 600 in Naruto I expected something a lot better to happen. The only decent thing that happened was on the last page.

The anime is getting there slowly.

600, was a bit of a let down.

Anime and manga almost never do anything in celebration of the x00th release.

Yeah, looking back at the other x00 chapters it seems it was a standard affair.

Hmm, I disagree. Although it's nothing really big, there's been room for a plot revelation in the last three 'hundred' mile stones for Naruto.

But seriously, the motive is fucking terrible. Then again, I'm only really following Naruto because it was the first manga I ever properly started reading.

Hmm, I disagree. Although it's nothing really big, there's been room for a plot revelation in the last three 'hundred' mile stones for Naruto.

But seriously, the motive is fucking terrible. Then again, I'm only really following Naruto because it was the first manga I ever properly started reading.

I meant standard in that it was once again a flashback.

I meant standard in that it was once again a flashback.

That's a very valid point! I'm surprised they mentioned a climax coming, because I could easily see Kishimoto shitting out a third arc for Naruto. Curious as to whether or not the scanlator's added that or it was said in the RAW, I'll keep an eye out when that issue of Shonen Jump comes out next week.

I'm writing a dissertation on the relationship between Western and Eastern animation. I wanted to know if any of you know of any good anime shows which have a direct (and obvious / intentional) influence from Western Animation.

Hmm, presuming I understood you correctly, you could try these:

The Big O

Panty and Stocking

Maybe Cowboy Bebop (The theme is more western, but I guess it's more on the Japanese side when it comes to animation)

Those are good starting points for me though.

What I mean is... like how shows like Avatar and Totally Spies and Teen Titans and stuff have a clearly deliberate influence from anime... are there any animes which are consciously trying to imitate Western animation?

Well there's Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. Its got a kinda Powerpuff Girls / Dexter's Lab feel to it, also the soundtrack is kickass. It's got alot of bass and a sorta club music-ish stuff in there.

Ah Debug beat me to it >_>

Edited by martinist

Astro Boy, the granddaddy of manga, was influenced by Disney cartoons in the first place.

...Or so I heard. Can't find a source on that, right now.

Those are good starting points for me though.

What I mean is... like how shows like Avatar and Totally Spies and Teen Titans and stuff have a clearly deliberate influence from anime... are there any animes which are consciously trying to imitate Western animation?

Ah, then I did understand you correctly! Heh.

The Big O is definitely a good example as I've noticed quite a few people think back on it and had no clue it was of Japanese origin. Although American producers started becoming quite active with the studio for the second series, there is absolutely no way I'd believe there wasn't any influence from western animation from the beginning.

That's all really helpful thanks!

I know that in the beginning, Astro Boy was influenced by Disney and stuff... so as an industry it owes a lot to Western Animation. I'm trying to see if they are still looked towards for inspiration.

Yes, the South Park segment! :grin:

*ahem*

Meanwhile, there are always manga artists who take inspiration from Western products, even if the style remains Japanese. One that springs to mind is Nobuhiro Watsuki, who is a fan of American comics.

jin-e.jpg?=123

Jin-E strongly resembles Gambit

21266175.jpg

And this guy...well :heh:

There are also characters wearing coats similar to Gambit's and Spawn's, as well. And this shot has "Wolverine" written all over it.

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples out there.