Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2011/2012

flameboy

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is he contributing more? Supporters were disgusted at a 17-year-old coming off for him. They even boo'ed the decision.

I don't know if you watched the game yesterday, but he had a good game. He's had a few good games, and a few bad ones.

Another thing is Arshavin has been at Arsenal for how long? He is settled and knows everything he needs to about his teammates. Downing has been here a few months, he's still learning and adapted to living in a new part of the country. Some players can adapt to new systems really quickly (Suárez, Enrique), while others can take longer (Carroll, Downing).

The important thing for Liverpool supporters is that all our signings have come in and been great, or are showing clear signs of improving, which is exactly what i wanted to see. Aslong as we keep progressing, i'm happy. We're rebuilding, and i'm trying to be as patient as possible with all our players.

Arshavin's measly 1 goal and 2 assists have directly contributed to 6 points, how many of Downing's goals and assists help Liverpool..oh wait he hasn't got any has he.

The way you're talking you'd think Downing had crossed the 7 sevens before joining Liverpool. He's had years in the Premier League, average player that cost you a fortune.

You guys know that stats aren't the only way to judge a player. Iniesta has got 0 goals and 4 assists this season, yet he's the best player on the planet bar Messi imo.

Downing is a good player who has proven that over many seasons in England. I'm just defending our player who is getting slated the day after he puts in a great performance against the champions.

Downing is a good player who has proven that over many seasons in England.

Has he?

....League Apps..Goals

2003/04.....20......0

2004/05.....35......5

2005/06.....12......1

2006/07.....34......2

2007/08.....38......9

2008/09.....37......0

2009/10.....25......2

2010/11.....38......7

2011/12.....22......0

(Uh oh, dreaded stats, unfortunately wiki doesn't have his assists).

And what? If i didn't know who Downing was, what would this tell me? He's a winger, he crosses the ball. He isn't a goalscorer, so you bringing up goals scored is the most pointless thing ever.

Steven Gerrard has a worse goal/games ratio than Lampard, yet i bet 99% of sane people in this world would say Gerrard is better.

Using your method, Yakubu is better than Dzeko, Adebayor and Suárez. And Ba is better than Aguero and Rooney.

And what? If i didn't know who Downing was, what would this tell me? He's a winger, he crosses the ball. He isn't a goalscorer, so you bringing up goals scored is the most pointless thing ever.

Steven Gerrard has a worse goal/games ratio than Lampard, yet i bet 99% of sane people in this world would say Gerrard is better.

Using your method, Yakubu is better than Dzeko, Adebayor and Suárez. And Ba is better than Aguero and Rooney.

You're just trying to annoy everyone aren't you :p

Everyone always dismisses stats but they are accurate. Sure it doesn't tell the 'whole picture' but if you want to compare goals then you can compare goals etc.

Lampard gets more goals than Gerrard per game ratio. FACT.

Yes, that's a fact, i accept, obviously. :p

Yesterday Scholes bossed midfield, but he didn't score or get an assist, yet Park did. Does that mean Park had a better game? No, he didn't. You can score 30 goals a season from CM, yet a CM who scores 5 a season could be miles better. That's my point.

Modric is another example. He's got 2 goals and 3 assists in 20 games this season. Spurs fans will tell you he's alot more important to them than what those numbers say.

What...I know ipaul is joking, but i'm not so sure you are.

Aguero is twice the player of Ba.

ok maybe not better than Aguero, but he's been better than Rooney so far this season, and his goal against United was pure class

Downing is shit. Such potential but his final ball is awful. So disappointing to watch. Shame as he is left footed, he could have been Englands answer but in truth he only got in the England team cos McClaren loved him from the Boro days. He was known as Stewart McClaren by us fans back then.....

If he weren't English he would only be worth a fraction of what L'Pool paid for him.

I hope he gets better, I really do but what is he 27/28 now? He should be in his prime for a winger and he is not.

Are we still talking about Stewart Fucking Downing?

The guy is 27. He may improve, but he should be the finished article by now. It's only his first season at Liverpool, so he may have a good end to it. But still, never rated him. Never saw the fuss. I'm surprised David Bentley disappeared quicker than he did.

Are we still talking about Stewart Fucking Downing?

The guy is 27. He may improve, but he should be the finished article by now. It's only his first season at Liverpool, so he may have a good end to it. But still, never rated him. Never saw the fuss. I'm surprised David Bentley disappeared quicker than he did.

Bentley's problem was that he thought he was God's gift to men. While he was a talented footballer, he believed the hype too much, which ultimately has meant his career never went the way it potentially could've.

What is he up to these days anyway?

Bentley is still a Spurs player but went to West Ham at the start of this season on loan. Think he got injured early on pretty badly so probably back at spurs now either with a sick note or bumming it in the reserves.

He had great potential. Next David Beckham they said. Never happened. Shame.

What...I know ipaul is joking, but i'm not so sure you are.

Aguero is twice the player of Ba.

I am joking, but going on very recent form alone, Aguero seems to be having a little bit of a stutter. I mean he's obviously still a great player, but he seems to be having be having a slightly tough time of it recently.

Then again, this is probably just in comparison to how he did at the start of the season, when himself and Rooney were absolutely on fire. I don't care for Rooney much, but I do think it's a shame he isn't scoring goals like he was right at the start of the season (I appreciate this is mainly due to a formation change more than anything?)

In one way, Ba actually reminds me a touch of Craig Bellamy when he used to play for Newcastle - pretty damned awesome for us, but stick him in a team like say, Man City or Spurs, and suddenly he doesn't look quite so special. This isn't quite fair mind, as I'm pretty sure Ba is better for us than Bellamy ever was, but it's a similar sort of thing I recon. Very good player made to look almost god-like by the merely good players around him (apart from Shearer of course, who just was god-like).

Hey, you might say the same thing about Van Persie and Arsenal. :heh:

Edited by ipaul

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!