NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I saw one person say they should have let someone from another IGN division rate the game since "clearly" they are biased. Don't see that happen with other games

I read that review. It seems that the reviewer was just trying to do it like Twilight Princes and "waggling" in order to get it to work

I lol'd

EGM: Twilight Princess’ motion controls worked because the game was more forgiving of your movements; simple flicks of your wrist would provide the desired results. Now, due to the enemy design revolving around the motion-control gimmick and being forced to use the MotionPlus—which follows you too well—you’re often pulled out of the immersion, because you’re constantly reminded that you are holding a controller whenever the controller doesn’t do what you want.

A perfect example is the miniboss you face in the first temple. It’s a Stalfos, a Zelda enemy staple from the very beginning. This dual-sword-wielding skeleton towers over Link, so in order to do damage, you must swing where the Stalfos isn’t blocking. If he’s holding his swords horizontally, you must swing horizontally through the gap; if he’s holding them vertically, you strike vertically. Unfortunately, if you’re like me and have played a good amount of button-mashers over the years—or even just older Zelda titles—your instinct is to attack hard and fast. But if you swing too fast, even with MotionPlus, Link won’t be able to catch up to you. Or, worse yet—since I’ve yet to meet someone who prefers to play games standing up—if you’re sitting down, it’s impossible to swing the controller perfectly horizontally or vertically every time, and you’ll often have to reset your position, destroying the illusion of immersion.

Typical, a Zelda is prevented from being the best it can be by the Wii's novelty controls that I grew tired of within a year of the console coming out. Same thing happened with MP3. This is why I fell out with the Wii....

Basically if this could be controlled with the Gamecube controller, it would be 10/10 across the board.

I'm sure I will love it anyway, but it's still a bit of a shame.

Typical, a Zelda is prevented from being the best it can be by the Wii's novelty controls that I grew tired of within a year of the console coming out. Same thing happened with MP3. This is why I fell out with the Wii....

Basically if this could be controlled with the Gamecube controller, it would be 10/10 across the board.

I'm sure I will love it anyway, but it's still a bit of a shame.

Everyone else is saying it's amazing and that the motion controls really aid in it.

This game couldn't be controlled with the Gamecube controller, not even a hack on a dodgy copy of it would make it possible. It's just not designed for it

This is the absolute epitome of a first-world problem, so apologies, but I have to ask:

What generally happens if I pre-order from ShopTo but am out on the day of the delivery (assuming the parcel is too big to go through the door)? It's particularly annoying because I'm out on Thursday but in on Friday, so I'm worried about it arriving early...

It's Royal Mail signed for, so you'll get a card, and have to pick it up 48 hours later or arrange redelivery.

That sounds like a complete nightmare, but thanks.

Perhaps my education isn't so important...

Perhaps it's worth changing my pre-order to Game, where it's far more likely to arrive on the Friday.

Aaah, logistics.

Edited by D_prOdigy

That sounds like a complete nightmare, but thanks.

Perhaps my education isn't so important...

Perhaps it's worth changing my pre-order to Game, where it's far more likely to arrive on the Friday.

Aaah, logistics.

Why not spend a few extra quid, and just you know, walk into a shop on the Friday and buy it?

Why not just spend a few extra quid, and just you know, walk into a shop on the Friday and buy it?

Will the bundle be available in-stores? Moreover, will it possible to reserve it in-store and guarantee that I can get it?

These are pertinent questions. Questions I feel I should be able to answer if I applied myself.

The special edition will be available in store, and yes you can reserve but I can't see them selling out anyway.

That's a summary of what exactly, one review?

I am using just that one to describe how childish some people who are supposed to be proper reviewers who only negative is 'hurp durp I hate waggle' rather than give it proper negative thoughts on the game, like I have seen other reviewers have done a lot better.

No idea where Gamespot's 7.7 score came on, they don't seem to have reviewed it yet.

*sigh* I was only joking that the only way gamespot was going to get the shitstorm of what they did with the 8.8 would be an even worst 7.7

Thats_the_joke.jpg

Seeing as I personally don't rate TP I guess my lack of hype for this may very well be justified. Time will tell...

I-aint-even-mad.jpg

Bad controls, wtf ? ive played skyward sword demo and the controls are natural and sublime ! the game is a work of art.

Oh right. Funny.

whoops sorry, I forgot my maths...

Internet forums + Zelda discussion = serious business :)

Bad controls, wtf ? ive played skyward sword demo and the controls are natural and sublime ! the game is a work of art.

They're bad when you go in and think simple waggle will work like it did with past games. This game requires proper motion and people won't accept that

Apparently the full game has been leaked due to Swiss stores selling it early. Best to be more careful about spoilers.

What are we going to do with this thread when the game is released? Is it going to be like Xenosaga, which annoyed me greatly, where it's basically a competition to play the fastest so you can be the first one to spoil location names/description and character names? Saying you played it for 9 hours and just got to [insert element] tempel is a spoiler in my opinion. Just want some ground rules :)

Release date broken!? meaning you guys are getting it sooner while I still have to wait until the 24th of November?

Well, that's it for me, don't even want to be on this forum and getting all jelly seeing you guys playing it. So....

fck_this_thread_gif.gif?1313404001

Hope you guys have a blast on the game can't wait to talk about it when I have it as well :D

What are we going to do with this thread when the game is released? Is it going to be like Xenosaga, which annoyed me greatly, where it's basically a competition to play the fastest so you can be the first one to spoil location names/description and character names? Saying you played it for 9 hours and just got to [insert element] tempel is a spoiler in my opinion. Just want some ground rules :)

Go to the spoiler topic?

The only impressions I read were in Penny-Arcade. They said something like

"Link doesn't have a default stance in this game. We noticed this when we held our hand forward upon entering in a cave, and Link did the same."

Also, the only review/score I saw was in a Portuguese magazine gave it 10/10. Said Portuguese magazine used to boast about not giving those lightly (back when Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4 were the only games they ever rated 10/10), and now I come back to see that they gave three of those scores in the same issue: Uncharted 3, Arkham City and Skyward Sword.

So, I'm hyped. It feels like the Zelda I know and adore (I felt the same with Spirit Tracks, and I loved it), instead of that disturbance in the force I felt when TP came out (a.k.a. burned out hype...that didn't rekindle).

And lol at the reviewer who said: "I CAN'T BUTTON-MASH IN THIS GAME!". Just...lol.