NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

I've not read any reviews that mention this, only the random rantings of the occasionally insane on the net. I remember Red Steel 2 having a sensitivity setting that seemed to encourage you to play standing up if you wished to, but it wasn't a requirement. But what's the deal with the sword fighting in this new Zelda then?

I suppose we'll all have a different opinion even after we've played it. However, I have heard that the combat is less analogue than Red Steel 2 or Wii Sports Resort. Apparently, the sword strikes are "locked" to an 8-way axis (and I suppose thrusting etc), but with the added accuracy of MotionPlus. (This information was in the EDGE review, which I can't access at the moment.)

It sounds like an improvement to me. However, I'm still cautious because, though you may not have needed to stand up for those games, they still read your movement and speed very accurately. In other words, I doubt any MotionPlus game can be played with the simple wrist flicks of Mario Galaxy. You needed to use your whole arm, increasing the risk of banging into furniture.

It's not that I hate motion control, it's just that I think there's a time and a place. If there's one thing that I hope is learnt from this generation (Kinect has helped with this), it's that there's "bedroom gaming" and there's "living room gaming". Motion control is great for the living room, but I'm not sure it's suitable for the bedroom, which is where I play Zelda (because of the time spent on it). OK, I can try and make sure I have plenty of space around me, but there's a limit to how much room there is. So, whilst I may genuinely like to be proven wrong with Skyward Sword, experience tells me otherwise.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm avoiding reviews like the plague. What's the point in reading a review of a game you're dead set on buying anyway? In addition to that, there's a chance the review will contain some sort of spoilerific image or detail that you didn't want revealed until playing the actual game.

So, that leaves us with the score. Which, as its Zelda, we all know will be pretty damn good anyway. We know its going to be great, but we won't know how great until we play it ourselves.

So far I've only read the Edge review, and the N-Europe feature about SS being Zelda's galaxy. Both were nice for hyping me without majorly spoiling.

I don't normally employ a shut out tactic, but I personally feel I ruined TP by knowing too much before the game was released so I'm going old school on SS.

I did and am doing the same. I had no self control with TP, was watching any video going. When I came to playing it there was no sense of awe because i'd already seen it. It was different with OOT as it was all just images from magazines.

I hope this one has a load more secrets and side quests. The problem I had with TP is that it was so vast but there was no real incentive for me to explore. I think i've been spoilt by recent games. For example Fallout 3. Yeh there's no real reason for me to go and explore that building in the distance, but hey I might get some more ammo/food/xp out of it and maybe a side quest. It's a great formula, which OOT did have and to a lesser extent WW. MM was built around bloody side stories and quests haha. I guess i'll see when I play it.

The problem I had with TP is that it was so vast but there was no real incentive for me to explore. I think i've been spoilt by recent games. For example Fallout 3. Yeh there's no real reason for me to go and explore that building in the distance, but hey I might get some more ammo/food/xp out of it and maybe a side quest. It's a great formula, which OOT did have and to a lesser extent WW.

This was the most striking flaw of TP, imo. Vast, but lifeless and aside from the main story mostly unexciting. The Fallout (/Morrowind/Oblivion) comparison however is a bit off, because neither OoT nor Majora's Mask ever had that formula.

That's because Zelda works in different ways than your standard stat-based, combat-centered, chose-your-way, free-roaming hero-simulator. In such games a bit of XP, a more shiny weapon or some hint/story note locked in a particularly difficult to pick treasure-chest or guarded by a particularly nasty monster is enough reward for exploration. In Zelda, it really isn't, because the game has none of those mechanics. :heh: Imagine an otherwise empty hovel at the end of Hyrule Field, guarded by some Stalfos, containing a chest with 100 rupees. Not very exciting, isn't it? ;)

There is no strong enough reward mechanism in Zelda for standard enemy encounters on the field and (so far ;) ) no mechanic to collect items or improved gear in any meaningful way. The meaningful ways in Zelda to reward exploration are puzzles, that gradually open up previously inaccessible areas by means of new items, trading sequences or collection quests from NPC and hidden heart pieces. In that sense, the world in OoT and MM simply felt more densely populated than in TP.

This was the most striking flaw of TP, imo. Vast, but lifeless and aside from the main story mostly unexciting. The Fallout (/Morrowind/Oblivion) comparison however is a bit off, because neither OoT nor Majora's Mask ever had that formula.

That's because Zelda works in different ways than your standard stat-based, combat-centered, chose-your-way, free-roaming hero-simulator. In such games a bit of XP, a more shiny weapon or some hint/story note locked in a particularly difficult to pick treasure-chest or guarded by a particularly nasty monster is enough reward for exploration. In Zelda, it really isn't, because the game has none of those mechanics. :heh: Imagine an otherwise empty hovel at the end of Hyrule Field, guarded by some Stalfos, containing a chest with 100 rupees. Not very exciting, isn't it? ;)

There is no strong enough reward mechanism in Zelda for standard enemy encounters on the field and (so far ;) ) no mechanic to collect items or improved gear in any meaningful way. The meaningful ways in Zelda to reward exploration are puzzles, that gradually open up previously inaccessible areas by means of new items, trading sequences or collection quests from NPC and hidden heart pieces. In that sense, the world in OoT and MM simply felt more densely populated than in TP.

Yes that's true, perhaps it was an unfair comparison. It is a different experience like you say. I am hoping that it's going to be a return to form. Quite hyped about it now as I have no idea what to expect :)

I did and am doing the same. I had no self control with TP, was watching any video going. When I came to playing it there was no sense of awe because i'd already seen it. It was different with OOT as it was all just images from magazines.

Plus it generally just wasn't awe-some. Probably more of the problem tbh.

MM for me was an excellent example of what Zelda could/should be. An entirely crafted world, which existed with or without you. The time system showed how you could influence it, it was nice to see the difference you might make. Strangely it always made me a little sad when I went to the rance to know I hadn't saved Malon that time round.

Euphoric Twitter quotes like this from reviewers playing the game don't make the wait easier (no spoilers!).

@TronKnotts

Jonathan Holmes

i think it's safe to say that so far, Skyward Sword is to Ocarina as Mario Galaxy was to Mario 64.

Imagine an otherwise empty hovel at the end of Hyrule Field, guarded by some Stalfos, containing a chest with 100 rupees. Not very exciting, isn't it? ;)

You make some excellent points, although I actually would quite like to find a few battles with Stalfos etc! Otherwise, I totally agree! RPGs have evolved in a certain way that wouldn't suit Zelda. In Xenoblade, for instance, there were lots of insignificant quests. Zelda sidequests are satisfying because of, as you say, exploration and trading sequences. I loved the photography in Wind Waker!

Euphoric Twitter quotes like this from reviewers playing the game don't make the wait easier (no spoilers!).

Already called dibs on that analogy. Royalties to my PayPal please.

Does anyone know if the N-Europe Podcast contains any spoilers for Skyward Sword? Want to listen to it but don't want to be spoiled :(

Does anyone know if the N-Europe Podcast contains any spoilers for Skyward Sword? Want to listen to it but don't want to be spoiled :(

I don't believe there are any spoilers. All of us that did it have been avoiding all spoilers.

I'd just like to thank the IGN front page for their character spoiling article headline.

#Wankers!

I'd just like to thank the IGN front page for their character spoiling article headline.

#Wankers!

Ack! That sucks. Thank you for the heads up. No more visits to IGN until after the 18th for me then.

Can't believe people still visit IGN.

:heh:

I remember the pull out review for OoT in NMS. The hype! I read that review time and again in the lead up to OoT coming out. The whole "would it won't it" make it out in time for Christmas only added to the experience. :hehe:

Glad i wasn't the only one thinking that :laughing:

I mainly check it for movie news. I don't go there expecting to find spoilers like this on the front page.

Seriously, IGN did that? Are they thick as pig shit? Talk about a lack of common sense.

I don't really check any other games sites apart from this one now. But, still, there's bound to be loads of people who have seen that. Just, don't really understand the point of it. Was it like a "so and so is in Zeldaaa" thing? If so...why?

Was it like a "so and so is in Zeldaaa" thing? If so...why?
Yep!... I just can't understand the need to have done it, it could have been done after the release. I obviously haven't clicked on the article, but I hope there are plenty of pissed of readers expressing their thoughts!

So, maybe a strange question to ask, but why do people think that people are so intent on avoiding spoilers for this game? I'm doing it too myself, but I find myself wondering why. I never thought it much of a deal, but it apparently does seem to BE some sort of big deal!

So what about you, why are you staying so spoilerfree with just one week(ish) to go?

Said site is still riding on the coat-tails of its former reputation as the only good source for news.

That changed years ago... but some gamers for some weird reason, still give it some cred.

:laughing:

So, maybe a strange question to ask, but why do people think that people are so intent on avoiding spoilers for this game? I'm doing it too myself, but I find myself wondering why. I never thought it much of a deal, but it apparently does seem to BE some sort of big deal!

For me, a lot of it is due to how much I enjoyed Wind Waker, and how little I knew about it. I knew the premise about the giant bird, I knew the mode of transport and I knew it had islands, but that was about it. I had read a review or two in print magazines (which have always been more responsible than the way IGN behave, anyway), but nothing about those spoiled it for me. I then went on to enjoy it more than any other Zelda. The moments when that villain appeared and when that dodgy character asked me to free him from prison were just brilliant, taking me back to earlier games.

Fast-forward to Twilight Princess. I read all the previews detailing the first two dungeons and bosses, which actually took a very long time to reach in the game. Also, IGN's review mentioned that Zoras and Zora's Domain were in it, which I don't think was necessary to reveal.

So, like I say, I don't want to be over-sensitive about things like premise and transport, but things like characters, races, locations, sword and shield upgrades etc are better discovered when you play it.

For me, a lot of it is due to how much I enjoyed Wind Waker, and how little I knew about it.

Hit the nail on the head for me, except for me, it was a Link to the Past. I played it, while knowing nothing about it beforehand.

I honestly thought I had reached the end of the game after getting all three pendants from each of the first three dungeons. Agahnim was going down and Hyrule would be safe once more!

But after getting the Master Sword and entering the Dark World, I realised then that I had only scratched the surface. My mind was seriously blown by how big the game was, and this remains one of my favourite gaming memories of all time.

I suppose I hold out a small glimmer of hope that the next Zelda game will deliver that same sort of experience again, however doubtful that may be. So for that reason, I don't want to know ANYTHING!

It was Ocarina of Time for me. Knew absolutely nothing about the game, bought it from a second hand shop about a year after it came out. never played a Zelda game before...

Mind. Blown.