NEurope
Hero-of-Time

[Spoiler-Free] Zelda: Skyward Sword

Am I the only one who VERY RARELY even uses the shield? I just don't use it, never really has. At least there are no INFURIATING moment alike in OOT where you shield gets burnt (it just being on your back) when you NEED it in that dungeon!

This had me nearly throwing the wii remote towards the tv in frustration, a quick hint would be...

The point is not to telegraph your moves to him so that he sees which direction you're going to attack from. If you point your sword to the left, and then move it to the right quickly (but not so quickly that it registers as a swipe), his hand won't follow you and in that half second you strike from your new position.

In the second phase, my advice would be to wait for him to disappear and appear directly right behind you in a position to attack, that's your chance to quickly target him and slash horizontally. Everything leading up to that just make sure he doesn't have time to land a blow on you.

I actualy defeated him before I posted my rant earlier, but thanks for the tips anyway. :D

Am I the only one who VERY RARELY even uses the shield? I just don't use it, never really has. At least there are no INFURIATING moment alike in OOT where you shield gets burnt (it just being on your back) when you NEED it in that dungeon!

No this is far better, having it break every 3-4 hits. :laughing:

I used the shield quite alot in previous Zelda games but seeing as the one in this game breaks I doubt I will use it much.

There you go, will improve your core skills then :D

You get new shields VERY quickly. And you can strengthen them!

You're supposed to shake the nunchuk when you block with the shield. It doesn't take any damage when you do that.

OK, I take back any praise I had for motion controls. The first boss is terrible! The worst Zelda boss ever. It's not even motion controls, really, just poor game design (how did it get past the testing phase?)

I will try Ronnie's advice, but I couldn't even get past the first part.

Edited by Grazza

Any suggestions on how to set up the wiimote so that it's more responsive?

I couldn't get on with the game at all until I went into the Wii settings and changed sensitivity to 2. It does a test, which is supposed to show two flashing dots. If any more than 2 appear, the sensitivity is wrong. Mine was showing about 15.

I couldn't get on with the game at all until I went into the Wii settings and changed sensitivity to 2. It does a test, which is supposed to show two flashing dots. If any more than 2 appear, the sensitivity is wrong. Mine was showing about 15.

Thanks, Shorty. I will give this a try later.

I don't understand how a game that doesn't use the sensor bar is affected by this.

OK, I take back any praise I had for motion controls. The first boss is terrible! The worst Zelda boss ever. It's not even motion controls, really, just poor game design (how did it get past the testing phase?)

Just take your time to understand the boss.

And don't listen to Ronnie (Sorry @Ronnie ! Yeah, it's possible that way, but uncomfortable). Don't even try to out-pace the enemy's defenses with your sword positioning! After all a quick swipe with the Wiimote is supposed to be a slash and will likely register as such.

Hint: The boss is lazy. In the first phase his "defense" will follow your sword tip. Hold the sword still for a moment and then move the tip again - he will stop following you. That's when you can strike.

There are several ways to go about the second phase. The shield is probably the easiest one.

I don't understand how a game that doesn't use the sensor bar is affected by this.

I thought it didn't, but it does heavily. Notably, it automatically recalibrates Motion+ the whole time with the sensor bar.

I used the shield quite alot in previous Zelda games but seeing as the one in this game breaks I doubt I will use it much.

The shield is insanely powerful without being a sure-fire life insurance anymore. Use it correctly and you will not just block, but stun enemies. You will also be able to get more "convenient" shields later.

Oh, and it can be used to obfuscate your sword movements! Try raising the shield and then reposition your sword: Link will keep the sword still on screen, but you can strike from any angle without enemies being able to follow you with their defenses.

Edited by Burny

The second phase was stupidly easy, every time he rushes you you just attack fuck out of him with the sword, no skill or precision, just slice him, stops him and kills him!

The second phase was stupidly easy, every time he rushes you you just attack fuck out of him with the sword, no skill or precision, just slice him, stops him and kills him!

I used this method.

His first form is a bit tricky but once you figure it out you can beat him easily. I destroyed him in less than a minute. Very satisfying.

I've only had my shield break once again the dungeon 4 sub boss:

The StalMaster, broke my Sacred Shield in one attack. Which to be fair has low stamina anyway.

There's a potion that restores your shields health so that's handy to carry around.

Edited by Ike

Hint: The boss is lazy. In the first phase his "defense" will follow your sword tip. Hold the sword still for a moment and then move the tip again - he will stop following you. That's when you can strike.

Er, that's exactly what I suggested! Hold your sword in one place, then move it to the other side (but not quick enough to register as a swipe) then strike from your new position!

The shield doesn't take any damage if you time the block correctly. So if you're having it break (I did against the first boss!) you're doing it wrong!

Just take your time to understand the boss.

And don't listen to Ronnie (Sorry @Ronnie ! Yeah, it's possible that way, but uncomfortable). Don't even try to out-pace the enemy's defenses with your sword positioning! After all a quick swipe with the Wiimote is supposed to be a slash and will likely register as such.

Ronnie's advice was perfect, thanks - I did it first time after that! But thanks anyway. I was making the mistake of trying to move faster than a sword slash, rather than slower. It's sort of a "brick wall" moment, but easy when you know the technique.

I'm so glad, because I thought that was going to ruin the game for me. But no, I've gone back to the main place (is the name of it still a spoiler?) and my enjoyment is growing and growing. This is the best Wii game ever made, without a doubt. It's the first Wii game to truly give me that gaming thrill that I love. Super Mario Galaxy 2 sort of did, but this is the real deal.

Again, this is the spoiler-free thread, so I'll be careful, but I'll just say that the buildings feature the sort of evolution I wanted in the way they are built and spaced apart.

I just love the Bazaar. All those stalls, all the quirky stallholders. Great atmosphere.

I've never really liked dungeons. My mood drops when I'm playing them, even in Wind Waker or OOT. What I love is an overworld to explore, with loads of collectables. This game has that.

Love the Bug Net and can't wait to upgrade my items. Although does anyone else find it strange that you get such a small window to upgrade your Wooden Shield before the next shield becomes available? I've bought the superior one before I've even got the items to upgrade the first one!

The humour is also just brilliant. I laughed my head off at one bit, and the characters are full of charm.

Loads of exploring tonight!

The sand sea is one of the most beautiful ideas in Zelda.

Other than that, the game is technically very good, the plot is intriguing and everything, but the whole "find these 3 things, then these 3 things, dungeon, dungeon, dungeon" really shows up that "this is a game".

I'm liking it, but everything is ALMOST so perfect. I'd love the next Zelda to have everything more integrated. For temples to feel like temples, and not Mario levels. I know it is part of the charm... but it'd be a nice experiment.

Although does anyone else find it strange that you get such a small window to upgrade your Wooden Shield before the next shield becomes available?

The superior one will have a disadvantage a little later. ;) But by large, they are all entirely optional.

@Ronnie Then I misread that. I thought you hadn't pointed out clearly enough, that one has to really hold the sword still for a moment for the opponent to "lock" his defense.

Is there an option to fight the bosses again after you've beaten them, like there is in OoT 3DS?

Is there an option to fight the bosses again after you've beaten them, like there is in OoT 3DS?

Yes, but you won't unlock it for a while yet.

The superior one will have a disadvantage a little later. ;)

Ah, I see. I think I can guess what it is. I was also wondering what the 3rd type would be, then I suddenly realised!

11 hours on the clock and I'm between the second and third temple. Just got to the fetch quest and loving this whole area. Really creative stuff happening now. Having no clue what lies ahead in the game I guess I'm probably about a third of the way through?

Still disappointed by the music though, so totally forgettable and not even a hint of the traditional Zelda tune(s), for now anyway.

Oh, and it can be used to obfuscate your sword movements! Try raising the shield and then reposition your sword: Link will keep the sword still on screen, but you can strike from any angle without enemies being able to follow you with their defenses.

I tried using this technique and it's a bloody life saver, mega cheers Burny. Really helped on the 6th dungeon boss too... prolly would have helped on the 1st too if I both knew about the technique and had a sheild when I got to him :heh: (Yeah I did the 1st boss with no sheild)

I'm actually loving the shields now. At first wasn't too keen on how they can break, always brought one of those sheild repair potions with me. And tried to not use the sheild to avoid it breaking. Then I realised it doesn't take damage if you use it right, by pushing forward to deflect attacks.

It actually makes you concentrate that bit more on how to fight when up against something stronger rather than just swinging wildly around. And it's a nice little evolution for the series so you can't just hide behind it anymore.

I'm using the 3rd sheild and have it fully upgraded and loving it. :wink:

Anyway I've done both the 5th and 6th dungeons in the last two days.

Don't quite get the hate I seen for the 5th dungeon. I enjoyed it.

It was a nice little change from the standard temple, it was a bit short I guess but the duality of it I enjoyed.

The puzzle with the lock that you had to hit in certain order to open took me ages though. I found the pictures on the floor but I assumed the red part was meant to show where the red spining bit of the lock was and was working out where to hit based on that. Then it hit me that the red bit always represented the top :heh:

5th dungeon boss was AWESOME....

And it was great that the Skward Strike was actually used/required for something else other than activating things.

On the way to the 6th Dungeon I actually failed the trail once :cry:

Got confused where I was had two items left but were at the other end of the map and "ran out of time" :heh:

The 6th dungeon was prolly my fav so far... and I think the biggest, which may be why I like it the most :D

The room where you have to stab and carry one of those water plants on your sword for the first time. Took me AGES to figure that out.

I though you were meant to somehow catch the water in a bottle before it hit the ground :heh:

Then I raged a little and just started wacking them with me sword and randomly stabed one and it stuck to the blade.... *FACEPALM*

Not sure about the boss though... just the same as the 1st boss, maybe a little harder and had different projectile moves. But thanks to Burny's Sheild tip I had no issues with him at all. Plus I guess the expereince of having beaten him already helped.

Was expecting after beating his "2nd phase" he was gonna transform into a 3rd phase/form but he just ran :heh:

Oh and that puzzle clue the mogma gives you about the statues... damnit should have figured they'd be in the last bloody room. Every room I went through I took my time looking for statues in case I missed them :heh:

Didn't move on much after beating the 6th dungeon yet. Found a new side quest which I did and finished and then some goddess cubes collected too. And upgraded and maxed out my bomb bag. Think I've maxed out most things now.

The 3rd Sheild (1st and 2nd Sheild I upgraded once, but having the 3rd sheild really means there no need for the other two anymore.

The Slingshot

The beetle

The Bow

The Arrow bag

The Bomb bag

The bug net

I think that's it. I upgraded the seed bag once but now that I have the bow and maxed arrow bag there's not much need for the sling shot and not carrying it's bag anymore.

EDIT:

Oh one thing that I'm not liking though is the instrument...

The harp.

Not really having much problem controlling it. Got the "concert" side quest at the pub in one go... though can't repeat a good performance since in trying to earn some cash :heh:

And no problem when required to play it to unlock something. But it's the method of control that is bothering me. Sure with motion+ it is a nice way to play a harp item. But your not ever really playing any different songs.

The rythm required for all the gates was the same but each was meant to be a different song. And then once you do it long enough Link cut scene plays the actual song he "learnt".

Would have been better if they used a button press with a motion to pluck certain strings in a Guitar Hero kinda way so that you could actually play different songs whenever you wanted. And then you could have had more songs and be able to do other things.

Like a sun song so you don't have to find a bed all the time.

A warp song that would allow you to warp to a active bird statue in the map area you are in (so you don't have to go to the sky and back down if you want to jump to certain places)

A song of Storms return would have been cool too.

Just a few ideas.

G4 trashing SS

They were really disappointed:

Felt the game was held back by hardware. Limitations inspire innovations

Didn't feel like they were exploring. (Mention OoT "letting you do the temples in any order", which is only a half truth).

Didn't like the story;

Had to recalibrate a lot because "the game doesn't tell you when it uses pointing" except for you know the cursor.

The beginning could not be slower.

They couldn't figure out how to put their sword away?

Controls were not great, why can't I stab these eyes in the first temple?

"I think I started to get it around the 5th dungeon."

They couldn't beat 3rd boss.

Hit themselves in the face with the cord.

Dungeons are well done.

Like that the world is full of puzzles but that took too long. Hated the Lanayru Mines pre dungeon...

Hate Fi, looks like a hooker from Tron. Fishnets don't belong in Zelda.

Good game. Beautiful. Orchestrated music.

WM+ kinda works.

It's a must buy.

Not going to be the next Ocarina. Twilight Princess was closer.

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=167509

You do realise a few of those are genuine issues with the game? Though some are just hilariously stupid.

You do realise a few of those are genuine issues with the game? Though some are just hilariously stupid.

Yes, a couple are. The rest are not.

Them having trouble beating the third boss indicates to me that they were waggling, not using the sword properly

As for the eye stuff, that's like complaining that you can't jump on a Spiny in Mario since you can jump on a Goomba

Edited by Serebii