N-Europe

Cloud Storage/Beacons Coming To Xbox Live

Hero-of-Time

It never got mentioned at the conference but it's on it's way.

· Beacons. We want to make it easy for you to connect with friends over your favorite games on Xbox LIVE, so we are introducing Beacons to the service. Beacons are a way to tell your Xbox LIVE and Facebook friends that you want to play a game on Xbox LIVE. By setting a Beacon, you tell Xbox LIVE what you want to play. Then, Xbox LIVE lets you know when friends are playing or want to play the same game. With Beacons, no matter what you're currently doing on Xbox LIVE your friends know that it's ok to ask you to play your Beaconed games. Imagine sending out a Beacon to let your friends know you're interested in playing "Halo," while watching a movie on Netflix. It's about making it easier for you to share and discover games and multiplayer opportunities with friends on Xbox LIVE.

· Cloud Storage for Game Saves and LIVE Profile. Here at Xbox LIVE we listen to your feedback. We are making it easier for you to sign into your Xbox LIVE account from any console at any time to access your game saves and full profile, including items such as Microsoft Points to make purchases, Achievements and friends. Cloud storage will allow you to enjoy the same great Xbox LIVE gaming experience even when you're not in your own living room by giving you the option to store your "game saves" securely in the Xbox LIVE cloud instead of on a portable memory unit or your console's hard drive. Gone are the days of "gamertag recovery." Now all you need to do is sign in, no matter where you are!

Um... as opposed to keeping them in both places?

Of all the things to have cloud paranoia about, games saves aren't one of them. What are you worried about? Some video of you jacking it in front of Kinect winding up on the internet?

Um... as opposed to keeping them in both places?

Of all the things to have cloud paranoia about, games saves aren't one of them. What are you worried about? Some video of you jacking it in front of Kinect winding up on the internet?

lol no... :heh:

I just like the idea of keeping my game saves to myself, I can't see any time where I would actually use this feature either so why would I bother with it? ::shrug:

Plus isn't there always the possibility of your game saves somehow getting copied to other gamertags? Unlikely but possible I'm sure, I know I know... it's only game progress but still, it's my game progress.

It's good to see that Microsoft are listening though to what the majority of people want and as for the beacons... I could maybe see myself using those, just not the cloud storage. :)

It's great for people like me who like to take games to friends' houses and such so they can try them out, without having to take my hard drive (which I worry will get damaged in transit).

Really clever move. Was hoping they'd do something like this some time ago.

lol no... :heh:

I just like the idea of keeping my game saves to myself, I can't see any time where I would actually use this feature either so why would I bother with it? ::shrug:

Plus isn't there always the possibility of your game saves somehow getting copied to other gamertags? Unlikely but possible I'm sure, I know I know... it's only game progress but still, it's my game progress.

It's good to see that Microsoft are listening though to what the majority of people want and as for the beacons... I could maybe see myself using those, just not the cloud storage. :)

Yeah, I was only pulling your leg.

I don't think I've actually got much use for it either (other than it protecting against hard drive failure, or making it easier to migrate between consoles).

Still, the Beacon sounds like a sensible idea that should have been there years ago. It would be even more awesome if you could set the beacon from your phone or PC (or tablet I guess) and receive messages telling you people want to play. I hate leaving the Xbox on just in case someone wants a game (my lot seem to rarely text, if someone isn't online, they don't get invited).

Edited by McPhee

That would never happen, but you wouldn't even know if it did.

Fact is, if you lost your memory card/you accidentally deleted a save/your xbox melted, it would be nice to have a backup floating about, no?

Still, the Beacon sounds like a sensible idea that should have been there years ago.

True...

Fact is, if you lost your memory card/you accidentally deleted a save/your xbox melted, it would be nice to have a backup floating about, no?

Also true...

Hmm I don't know why I'm so opposed to it as having a backup of saves like that could be handy yes but... Idk... I just miss the simplicity of the old days where your save is your save and you only have one copy of it but... things have moved on since then, and who knows I may warm to the idea nearer the time... in any case it's good to hear that Microsoft are always working to improve its online service, especially seeing as we pay for it! :heh:

Cloud storage sounds like a good idea, just in case of meltdown of my console. And, there are always times when i've wanted to play games using my own account at a friends, but couldn't. This sure sounds like something i'd be interested in. And Beacons, that would save a lot of electricity by me not leaving my console on.