N-Europe

The LOST topic *spoilers*

arnold

Just finished watching the first season of Lost last night. I've enjoyed the series throughout (although I'm not keen on any of the supernatural bits such as

Hurley's magic numbers, the psychic boy and Claire's devil child

- IMO these don't have a place in something set in a 'serious' drama), but to be honest, I wasn't happy with the ending of the first season.

I expected them to reveal at least SOMETHING about what was going on, rather than just posing more questions.

Also, the pacing of the seres really bugged me. Some things that are the cliffhanger to some episodes aren't even mentioned, let alone resolved, until a few episode later. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to seeing the second season. Now to find somewhere to 'acquire' it...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost was never conceived as a serious drama. JJ Abrams and someone else in charge (forgot his name) both said they felt that a "twist" was needed otherwise it would be too flat. There needed to be this external force to bring everyone together and I think it works well.

Dunno why everyone complains about more cliffhangers, its how shows get people to come back for the next season. They're exciting and annoying, its a catch 22.

Ive always been a fan of shows that stretch out storylines (reasonably of course) because things do tend to come back on you when you least expect it. Thats what I loved about Buffy, in an episode of Season Seven there was a resolve to something that happened in Season Two and it felt right.

Lost was never conceived as a serious drama.

Maybe not, but at the beginning it certainly looked like it could have been one. Yeah, so the polar bear was weird, but it still could have had a realistic explanation. The small number of supernatural things later on in the series just didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the show, in my opinion.

What episode are E4 and channel 4 on? Just a bit curious...

Anywhoo, I've already finished season 1, brilliant series.

Just finished watching the first episode of the second season as well. You won't believe what happens. Its got me on tenterhooks every time!

• 4 weeks later...

Last weeks episode where they were trying to find Charlie and Claire was amazing!! Best episode so far!!

and at the end when Locke and Boone found the metal floor cover!!

Can anyone help explain Kates episode to me yesterday though!;

Why did she get involved in the bank raid, just to get the metal toy plane out of one of the safe boxes; especially when she had the key anyway.

Why go to such lengths for something not all that important in the long run!

Maybe I didn't hear the explanation; if there was one!!

And is there a future episode where what happened between her and the man she loved is explained?!

And is there a future episode where what happened between her and the man she loved is explained?!

Yes.

And I'm not certain, but am pretty sure that it was explained in the episode you saw why she couldn't just open the deposit box without the bank raid, and that was she had no I.D or authorisation to open it. Turning up with just a key and saying "I want to open that box" isn't really enough as what's to stop you stealing the key?

Edit: Yep, just re-watched that part of the episode and her reason is "I'm not on the signatory card".

Yes.

And I'm not certain, but am pretty sure that it was explained in the episode you saw why she couldn't just open the deposit box without the bank raid, and that was she had no I.D or authorisation to open it. Turning up with just a key and saying "I want to open that box" isn't really enough as what's to stop you stealing the key?

Edit: Yep, just re-watched that part of the episode and her reason is "I'm not on the signatory card".

Ok, thanks!

Why do a bank raid though; just for a metal toy plane!!

or is it more than that (and explained in a future episode)??

Ok, thanks!

Well, it is explained further. But in the episode you watched she does say that it belonged to the man she loved, the man she killed. I would imagine some people living with such guilt would be prepared to go to some pretty extreme lengths to recover an item that belonged to them, even if it is just a toy.

Ok, thanks!

The significance of the toy plane is explained in a later episode.

Anyways, if you haven't heard the latest *big* spoiler about Season 2:

Shannon dies.

On episode 20. 75% of 21 is downloaded (box set on the way from America!). I'm loving it so far.

Boon's death was really good, shame his leg stayed intact though. i want to see more about that plane.

By far the best thing I've watched on TV this year (I haven't watched much though).

i was really annoyed when the found that metal door in the river and then didn't do anything about it. the one they've been at for a while is in a totally different place!

Hmmm... I am all for discussing the best thing on TV at the mo but why drop in tempting Spoilers just for the sake of doing it? Especially things that couldn't have happened either in UK or USA. I think America are on Episode 5 or 6 of series 2?

I have seen all of number 1 and 3 eps of 2.

I have to say, the programme is great! Its so exciting!!!

I don't quite understand Dharma. I suppose that will be a HUGE mystery like..forever. Its a really scary idea though. Imagine being responsable... Ugh... so often you have to...Never getting more than...of sleep...So ANNOYING!!!...

Classy Show!!!

whats so special about 108

You'll seeeeeeeeeee...

But if you really wanna know...

A: Its the Sum of all the 'cursed' numbers that keep popping up all over, but more importantly its the amount of time between each countdown to DOOM! The hatch is a control room where some poor sod has to imput the cursed numbers into a computer at every 108th minute of every day!!! Still a lot of mystery surrounding it though.

Whats with the super thin Quote boxes anyway...

Ep 5, was a tad boring, mainly becasue I couldn't hear a damn thing what was being said (Quality of the downlaod was crap had my ear right up to the screen) But bloody brilliant, But I can't wait 3 weeks for ep 6/7 =(

Theres pics about of Ep 6 where Mr Eko and the woman (one who stole the gun, can't remember her name) Are helping some kids who have lost their parents, guess which bear the kids have on them, Things are getting damned amazing in this TV show, one of the best.

and I dunno if anyones seen these yet, but some Pics of soem nice spotting of things, which I never even noticed

Not "Big" Spoilers, The Second Pic is from Episode 1, But the first is from the end of the first season and start of the second:

http://www.flyservers.com/members5/humpys.net/images/thedegroots.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/3153/tabularasa5306bm.jpg (From the First ep, look to the right of Walt)