Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Beyoncé

mcj metroid

Listening again, it might be a grower.

Rolling Stone summed it up quite well -

it's very much the sort of album a pop star makes when she doesn't feel like she has anything to prove.

It feels very like an album someone who isn't bothered about charts or whatever would make. It's nice. It feels like there isn't a bad track on it, it's just not upbeat or anything really. But I'm still stunned by the production. And 1+1 is a stunning album opener.

Worth a vague listen if you don't expect Single Ladies/Crazy In Love.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd believe this had she not released "run the world" which I feel is a shameless cash and rehash of... Independant woman, If i were a boy, Single ladies and a few others.

We GET it women empowerment, get over it! it's almost like a cheap pop at this point.

But otherwise It's a harmless ballad album it sounds.

Actually a good quality ballad album now I've got more into it. Very...crisp. And I said, nothing that makes you cringe really or anything, nothing too chessy either. And tbf some are just mid-tempo songs, as opposed to being ballads.

Run The World being the last track makes sense, and doesn't actually detract from the rest of the album despite unlike anything else on there.

I really like Party (ft. Andre 3000) (so classy as the only featured artist since he's so elusive) and produced by Kanye (IIRC).

• 3 weeks later...

Who else watched her Glastonbury set? I'm abotu half-way through and it's one of the most entertaining concerts I've ever watched. What an entertainer. Sheer class.

I laughed out of pure joy/yes-ness in Survivor with the poignantly ommited lyrics to add a harder edge - "Thought I wouldn't sell without you - - MILLIONS. WHAT?"

But yeah. Brilliant.

I bought this album today and I have to say I am a bit disappointed.

I've listened to each track about 5 times and whilst I think it's ok, its not a Beyonce standard album.

Paj! - you mentioned it above re she has nothing to prove.

But after that last album which just churned out hit after hit after hit, this feels like a real let down. I will continue to listen as the songs have started to get better the more i've heard, but nothing stands out apart from Best Thing I Never Had.

Oh and Run the World was the worst single to launch an album I have ever ever heard. :nono:

I know what you mean. But it still feels like a solid album, just not a hitmaker. My faves are 1+1, I Care and Party still.

With you on 1+1 - really like that. I Care also good. I quite like the first 5 tracks. Rather Die Young then ruins it for me - really can't get into it.

Also think Countdown is great too.

That's the kinda thing I want from Beyonce!

GARR, OxEgen.

Anyway no. I'm so sad. I don't have the money and even if I did, my Oxegen buddy is away in Spain, and there's no one else I would want to go with.

Beyonce, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia, Ke$ha, The Script. Yumm. So sad.

GARR, OxEgen.

Anyway no. I'm so sad. I don't have the money and even if I did, my Oxegen buddy is away in Spain, and there's no one else I would want to go with.

Beyonce, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia, Ke$ha, The Script. Yumm. So sad.

Garr?

And a drug reference...has one been drinking too much martinis, by any chance? :rolleyes:

Right. I have the money (well, I can scrape it together -- must accept future sacrifice). I have a lift to Dublin and a way home. And I have at least a dozen amazing people going to Oxygen because I'm that popular.

I'm thinking of buying a one day ticket -- the Sunday. When Beyoncé performs. I dunno though :hmm: €100 is a lot...

The Glastonbury performance was perfect. 10/10.

Relentlessly stunning. Vibrant. Emotive throughout.

beyonce1.gif

Her outfit. The fact she never changed it. Why would she need to? She looked stunning. The fact that she just wore panties and it felt natural and right. The fact she danced for an hour and a half in stilettos. Her hair. Her hair. It's the greatest thing I've seen in ages.

Of course she was the first female act ever to headline Glastonbury. Of course she put her heart and soul into that performance. Of course it felt so whole.

Even though Run The World (Girls)'s message is a bit silly, you can't help feeling that Beyoncé knows and lives some feminist truths which aren't privy to us. There's a reason she's vibrant. There's a reason she's golden. Because she loves the feeling. Because she is what she wants to be, as a woman, as a performer, as a human being. Because she's crazy in love.

Yessss

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!