NEurope
~LAc~BodyCount

PS3 or Xbox 360

For a start the left analogue stick is in the wrong place!

So the left is in the wrong place, but the right one — which will often require a finer degree of finesse — is just fine?

If people found the DS uncomfortable they would have changed the design by now. Sure they thought to for the PS3 and it looked ridiculous, but I hardly think people would have clamoured for the old one back if they disliked it.

I personally find it a better controller than the 360 one. Although my favourite is still definitely the gamecube.

I miss the time a couple of years ago when I had a PS3 (now at my dad's house) for various reasons. The whole thing just felt like a much more premium product than the Xbox 360, plus it seems to have much better exclusives these days. I miss Wipeout :(

However, it does not have Halo or Xbox Live, and since those two combined are brilliant ways to keep in contact with my friends back home while at university, I'm sticking with the 360 for the foreseeable future. Maybe I could get a PS3 again when they come down in price (like right down, to about £120).

What is it people find so troublesome about the DualShock 3? For my money it's the best all-purpose controller.

Terrible analogs, misplaced left analog, R2 and L2 suck.

Best d-pad in the biz, though, making it the best controller to play stuff like Rayman Origins.

If people found the DS uncomfortable they would have changed the design by now. Sure they thought to for the PS3 and it looked ridiculous, but I hardly think people would have clamoured for the old one back if they disliked it.

I personally find it a better controller than the 360 one. Although my favourite is still definitely the gamecube.

People do. Sony ignores them because they're not a majority of people, but alot of people complain. But that's what Sony does, ignore it's user base...

When the people clamored that the 360's d-pad, Microsoft tried to fix it, they failed, but at least they tried.

I think that the fact that there's a plethora of cross adapters to get 360 controllers working on a ps3 alone is indication enough that there are quite alot of discontent owners, judging by how well they're selling. Funny how there are no adapters that work the other way around.

Let's be absolutely honest here, the 360 controller has a terrible, TERRIBLE D-Pad. In everything else, though... it's absolutely perfect. Better than the gamecube, imo.

It fits better in your hand, is much more comfortable, the triggers are inarguably better and the analogs are, in my opinion, much much better than the PS3's.

Except for the D-pad, what about the 360 controller do you think is worse than the DS3?

Best d-pad in the biz, though, making it the best controller to play stuff like Rayman Origins.

People do. Sony ignores them because they're not a majority of people, but alot of people complain. But that's what Sony does, ignore it's user base...

When the people clamored that the 360's d-pad, Microsoft tried to fix it, they failed, but at least they tried.

I think that the fact that there's a plethora of cross adapters to get 360 controllers working on a ps3 alone is indication enough that there are quite alot of discontent owners, judging by how well they're selling. Funny how there are no adapters that work the other way around.

Let's be absolutely honest here, the 360 controller has a terrible, TERRIBLE D-Pad. In everything else, though... it's absolutely perfect. Better than the gamecube, imo.

It fits better in your hand, is much more comfortable, the triggers are inarguably better and the analogs are, in my opinion, much much better than the PS3's.

Except for the D-pad, what about the 360 controller do you think is worse than the DS3?

I think the gamecube controller fits the hand a lot better than the 360 does. I think the button layout of the 360 is slightly inferior, and I think the Dualshock hardware is an all round better piece of kit. I like that it has a built in battery too, without the need for a block on the back that juts out.

And that's just it though, most people do like the controller. Why would they change the controller for the minority?

Edited by Sheikah

I don't like the 360's face buttons, but everything else is great.

I think the PS3s face buttons and analogue sticks are absolutely 100% perfect, but as everyone agrees the Gamecube is yet to be beaten.

I think the gamecube controller fits the hand a lot better than the 360 does. I think the button layout of the 360 is slightly inferior, and I think the Dualshock hardware is an all round better piece of kit. I like that it has a built in battery too, without the need for a block on the back that juts out.

And that's just it though, most people do like the controller. Why would they change the controller for the minority?

I love the GC controller, but the 360's is my all time favourite. They both have bad D-Pads, but I preffer the 360's triggers and I also preffer the round analogue design to the GC's octagon. As for how they fit in the hand, I have no preference between them. The GC face buttons were better, though, mainly because they only had one impossible combination (X+b), where the 360 has two (x+b and y+a).

The button layout is pretty much the same, no? I don't really "get" what you mean...

The battery pack doesn't really bother anyone... pick up a wired controller (which has no backpack) and you'll notice no difference, except the weight... which I like (much like how DS3 feels much better compared to sixaxis, which feels "empty").

Most people like it. Hell, I like it... but it's just worse in some areas... nobody preffers those triggers, most users would preffer the left stick be placed differently... and I probably think most users would preffer analogues with a dent in them and that felt less loose.

I can't realy stand the controller without those gioteck shoulder adapters... and the analog nubs feel nice too.

Damn that's tempting!

I just can't help wondering whether I'll ultimately end up wanting a 320gb model?!

It's not like the 360... installing is out, so 160 is plenty of space, trust me.

It's not like the 360... installing is out, so 160 is plenty of space, trust me.
Sorry to sound like a complete noob... but I am when it comes to the HD consoles, having only owned a Wii up until now (and played 360 games on Eddage's console)... but how does it all work then?

So with the PS3 you don't have to install the games?... but if you do they run better?

So in terms of save data I'm just filling up blocks like the Wii? So I theoretically might have to start erasing game data at some stage?... it varies greatly I'd imagine but in a ballpark figure how many games can 160gb store?

Would a game like GT5 take up loads of space?

And could you just plug in an external hard drive to the PS3 at a later date?

[/awkwardnoobqs]

Edited by Retro_Link

Sorry to sound like a complete noob... but I am when it comes to the HD consoles, having only owned a Wii up until now (and played 360 games on Eddage's console)... but how does it all work then?

So with the PS3 you don't have to install the games?... but if you do they run better?

So in terms of save data I'm just filling up blocks like the Wii? So I theoretically might have to start erasing game data at some stage?... it varies greatly I'd imagine but in a ballpark figure how many games can 160gb store?

Would a game like GT5 take up loads of space?

And could you just plug in an external hard drive to the PS3 at a later date?

[/awkwardnoobqs]

Actually, you can just change the PS3 HD yourself, it's VERY easy and it uses regulard HDs, unlike the X360... but I don't think you'll need it.

As for everything else, it's like this:

You don't have the option to install games. Some force you to, but most don't, but you can't choose to install them (that's something the 360 outshines the PS3 in), as for how much space they take up, you can relax about it... I have a 160 and only like 10 or so games and have no idea how much space they take up, because it's my secondary console... HOWEVER, my bros have an old 40GB model and about 25 or so games for it (plus 7 or 8 of my 10 which they've played) plus 12 or 14 PSN games and they've only ever had to erase 1 game (MGS4) in order to make space for more (and even then, it's okay, since you OBVIOUSLY keep the save files).

It does work a bit like blocks, except 160GB is a ridiculous amount of space when it comes to game saves... and 160GB would net you space to store a lot of games, for sure... although I'm not really sure how much.

I think you'll do more than fine with 160GBs, you'll still have enough leftover space to fill the thing with music and video files to fuck around with...

I have no idea how much GT5 takes up, but google it.

As for the external hard drive... I don't think so.

I still don't understand why the left analogue is "misplaced" if the right one is fine in exactly the same spot.

The sticks themselves are great in my experience. They require a subtly different approach to the 360's — you rock the tips with your thumbs rather than purely pushing them — but it's just a case of acclimatisation.

L2 and R2 are definitely too spongy, but for ancillary functions they're fine. For instance they feel natural as accelerator/brake pedals, but L1 and R1 are far better suited for looking down sights or firing. Despite their placement on the controller, the *2 buttons ideally mimic the functionality of the 360 controller's bumpers.

Damn that's tempting!

I just can't help wondering whether I'll ultimately end up wanting a 320gb model?!

Unless you're using the PS3 as media centre it's pretty unlikely you'll ever fill 160GB. Besides, you can replace the drive yourself with a standard laptop HDD if it ever becomes an issue.

Buying a machine with a larger hard drive is a false economy, really. It works out well for Sony as they make more profit — or as is the case at the moment, less of a loss — on each one.

I still don't understand why the left analogue is "misplaced" if the right one is fine in exactly the same spot.

The sticks themselves are great in my experience. They require a subtly different approach to the 360's — you rock the tips with your thumbs rather than purely pushing them — but it's just a case of acclimatisation.

L2 and R2 are definitely too spongy, but for ancillary functions they're fine. For instance they feel natural as accelerator/brake pedals, but L1 and R1 are far better suited for looking down sights or firing. Despite their placement on the controller, the *2 buttons ideally mimic the functionality of the 360 controller's bumpers.

Are you serious about the analogues? Of course the right analogue is well placed... it's a secondary feature, it only becomes a primary in shooters! The face buttons obviously deserve a better placement than the right stick.

The left analogue is placed on a secondary position, and it gets alot more use than the D-Pad!! Isn't it obvious???

The only place where the DS3 placement would and does make sense is on the Wii's classic controller... because the analogs are secondary!

As for the sticks themselves... I know it's a matter of opinion, but having used a lot of both... I preffer the 360's.

The triggers feel much better for shooting and looking down sights than the bumpers... the only reason they use the bumpers in PS3 games is because the triggers suck ass. Come on...

This is just my take but...

With the left side of the pad, it's usually just movement, you rarely need to be switching between D-pad and the analogue stick repeatedly. Even if the D-pad is mapped to something else, it's usually just an inventory change or special move that you can spare a split second for. So with that in mind, the analogue stick should take the primary position on the pad.

But on the right side, you need those face buttons more often, if you put those in the right stick's place it would be harder to accurately tap for grenades, crouch etc.

The only reason the PS3 is not like that is because of the symmetry of the design.

damn I spent too long typing and Oxigen fit in a better reply

Some of you guys must have no interest in beat-em-ups. For all purpose gaming ps3 pad beats the others hands down as it more comfortable for a wider variety of games. No matter how much I love the GC pad, the dpad is god awful, and sometimes, quite painful to use. No wonder there was barely and 2d or even 3d fighters on the machine. 360 fares no better and using an analogue for a fighter is a joke. For shooter's, the 360 pad is superior (look at how many shooters were made for the old xbox) but the ps3 pad is just fine once you get used to it as aimless said. They all have their strengths, but for all round competence, ps3 pad wins out imo. But really, depends on your gaming habits.

Nobody's arguing that the PS3 is not better for fighters, there's no contest there, but what on earth is "all purpose gaming"?

Are you serious about the analogues? Of course the right analogue is well placed... it's a secondary feature, it only becomes a primary in shooters! The face buttons obviously deserve a better placement than the right stick.

The left analogue is placed on a secondary position, and it gets alot more use than the D-Pad!! Isn't it obvious???

The only place where the DS3 placement would and does make sense is on the Wii's classic controller... because the analogs are secondary!

As for the sticks themselves... I know it's a matter of opinion, but having used a lot of both... I preffer the 360's.

The triggers feel much better for shooting and looking down sights than the bumpers... the only reason they use the bumpers in PS3 games is because the triggers suck ass. Come on...

I just feel the designation of "secondary position" is rather arbitrary. The natural resting place of my thumb is between the d-pad and analogue whether we're talking about the PS3 or 360 controller, so I don't see the inherent seniority.

Are you saying it feels better to shoot with R2, or are you talking about the 360 controller? Regardless, the PS3's shoulder buttons make more sense for aiming and firing as those are binary inputs that require no analogue finesse, unlike driving. The 360's triggers have a smooth, shallow action that allows for their digital use with little ill effect, whereas LB and RB have inconsistent travel — they press in far more on the outside, where your fingertips aren't — making them less satisfying than the triggers for heavy use.

Some of you guys must have no interest in beat-em-ups. For all purpose gaming ps3 pad beats the others hands down as it more comfortable for a wider variety of games. No matter how much I love the GC pad, the dpad is god awful, and sometimes, quite painful to use. No wonder there was barely and 2d or even 3d fighters on the machine. 360 fares no better and using an analogue for a fighter is a joke. For shooter's, the 360 pad is superior (look at how many shooters were made for the old xbox) but the ps3 pad is just fine once you get used to it as aimless said. They all have their strengths, but for all round competence, ps3 pad wins out imo. But really, depends on your gaming habits.

DS3 is better for fighters? Definitely. Let's broaden that and say that's absolutely no contest better for anything which primarily uses the Dpad. No contest whatsoever... but that's quite the minority.

(not related, but I actually use the 360 for fighters coz I bought an arcade stick when sfiv came out just coz I hated the dpad so much!)

All round? 360 pad. No doubt. The only thing bad about it is the dpad, period. That's it.

I just feel the designation of "secondary position" is rather arbitrary. The natural resting place of my thumb is between the d-pad and analogue whether we're talking about the PS3 or 360 controller, so I don't see the inherent seniority.

Are you saying it feels better to shoot with R2, or are you talking about the 360 controller? Regardless, the PS3's shoulder buttons make more sense for aiming and firing as those are binary inputs that require no analogue finesse, unlike driving. The 360's triggers have a smooth, shallow action that allows for their digital use with little ill effect, whereas LB and RB have inconsistent travel — they press in far more on the outside, where your fingertips aren't — making them less satisfying than the triggers for heavy use.

It's not arbitrary, it's much more of an effort/strain to reach the right stick than it is to reach the face buttons. Position A (face buttons) is just more relaxed than position B (right stick)... which obviously applies to the left stick too.

This shit isn't even a matter of debate or opinion, it's actually studied, the controllers are designed the way they are because of it! (except, of course, for the DS3).

It feels better to shoot with triggers than it does with buttons, is my point. You're shooting... it's a trigger. Make sense yet?

And the DS3 has no triggers, not really. So I'm obviously refering to the 360 triggers.

I completely agree that the stick placement is awkward on the PS3 controller. I find my left thumb naturally drifts onto the D-pad when I'm idle, because it just feels right.

@Oxigen_Waste @Aimless Cheers guys! That's been a lot of help, I think I'll actually be going for it then!

My question then would be what on earth would a 360gb console be for?

Aimless you mentioned a media centre... so do you mean basically installing a vast collection of every DVD/Blu-Ray, CD/MP3, Pictures, Videos etc... on to it?... that's where all that extra space would get used up/come in handy?

My poor Xbox is just standing on my computer desk next to me as I type this hidden partially behind the curtain, whilst my poor PS3 is being overworked as my little bro plays Modnation racers. My Xbox on one or two occasions has fallen onto my PS3, it seems to be bitter that I haven't been playing it at all the past few months. I have Halo Reach, Left4Dead and Tales of Vesperia which are the only reasons I still have the thing.

@Oxigen_Waste @Aimless Cheers guys! That's been a lot of help, I think I'll actually be going for it then!

My question then would be what on earth would a 360gb console be for?

Aimless you mentioned a media centre... so do you mean basically installing a vast collection of every DVD/Blu-Ray, CD/MP3, Pictures, Videos etc... on to it?... that's where all that extra space would get used up/come in handy?

Pretty much. But since they forbid the installing of other OS's, it pretty much means very little since when it comes to videos, since it doesn't support MKV or subtitles, so that's pretty much almost means bye bye to all 1080p, since it's rare to see mp4s for 1080 vids... but other than that it's handy, but you're not gonna be using it's 160GBs that much. If you're really interested in using it as a media center... you MUST use PS3 Media Server... which is awesome, but still not perfect when it comes to 1080.

Damn that's tempting!

I have a 160GB model. I've installed all the free PS Plus games since I got it in January. This includes three full PS3 games, lots of PSN games, a few PS1 games and lots of little games. I still have plenty of space

For media PS3 is handy all round. MKV's arent a problem with this baby. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob You even have the likes of cheat companies selling their own media player software in places like Asda if you want native mkv and other odd files.

PS3 media Server is the ultimate solution however. Especially if you have a quad core cpu computer and good wired ethernet.

Yeah its subjective much like keyboards and mice which also vary massively. I prefer the old Xbox 1 controller to the 360 one. I have been checking out afew games on the 360 lately and the controller just doesnt suit me. The PS3 one just works no matter what I play. Plus I hate using fast primary actions like shooting or accelerating etc. on the soft triggers.

Hmm... looking at it, would you say this deal offer doesn't include a controller? Because buying one would cancel out the saving!

http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en/Games/PS3/Playstation-3-Slim-Console-160GB/product.html?product=E10365243

I see no reason why it shouldn't. :)

Strongly disagree, the right analogue stick is used by the overwhelming majority of 3D games, and it's used a lot because adjusting camera is just as vital as moving.