Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Minority Report is here, and not in a cool way

The Mad Monkey

I'm not disputing serious crime should be acted upon if there is forewarning of it. But what are we talking about here, a few people putting on a performance for the entertainment of like minded individuals. Hardly a crime really is it?

Cut the bullshit for Christ's sake!

"he and other group members planned to pull out megaphones as the royal procession approached."

I think we can all assume these won't be heartfelt congratulations. And you call this entertainment? That's asking for trouble, plain and simple. You don't put a fox in the henhouse, watch the carnage ensue and say: "Wow, that was surprising and totally unexpected."

"He was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to cause public nuisance."

So to answer your question on can someone be arrested of an offence without committing said offence is yes. I know you've danced around the issue of attempted murder and conspiracy to commit terrorism etc. by the logic that "They are more naughty" but that's not the point. The severity is not the issue here, public nuisance is a crime. The police had reason to believe some bad shit was going down and felt they had to sort it out. Deal with it.

"More than 60 people arrested in recent demonstrations have already been banned from central London on Friday as part of their bail conditions."

Man, these likeminded individuals sure sound like swell guys.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you think the police are here for? If they're not allowed to touch people then how do you expect them to make any arrests? Set up elaborate scooby doo style traps?

No, it's a law that they are allowed to break in pursuit of their duty, just like the power to run a red light. If no crime is being committed then the police are not allowed to lay their hands on you. That is fine in theory, but in practice it allows the police to abuse the law at their discretion.

That was actually some of the best crowd-control policing I've seen in this country in a long time.

Yep, arrest loads of people before they get the chance to form a crowd, that way the handful of people who do turn up are much easier to bully and intimidate when they are outnumbered.

Given only the one person at the beginning was "lifted", I'm guessing it was for an earlier offence.

You're guessing it was for an earlier offense why, because there was no crime being committed at the time? No, it was for possession of an offensive weapon, which the police hadn't yet decided, I mean investigated, what that item was. You can hear the police saying that in the video if you listen carefully.

You can also see him mentioned in this list of the five people charged, out of 55 arrested, on the day.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8485626/PIXandPUB-Five-charged-after-royal-wedding-arrests.html

a mob of dickheads

And here it is.

Basically you, or the majority here it appears, is not going to support the rights of people they don't like the look of or don't agree with when when their rights are abused.

I do enjoy the humor though :D

Glad you find the loss of civil liberties amusing. :P

Maybe it was naivety or maybe just blind optimism, but I actually believed that for a bit. :nono:

Don't worry, even I get bored of banging my head against a brick wall eventually.

It's sad really, that people can't see that we are all losing rights here, not just the people getting arrested. The right to protest is very important, maybe some of you might need it one day, by that time though it may be gone forever.

Toodle pip. :)

Glad you find the loss of civil liberties amusing. :P

Don't worry, even I get bored of banging my head against a brick wall eventually.

It's sad really, that people can't see that we are all losing rights here, not just the people getting arrested. The right to protest is very important, maybe some of you might need it one day, by that time though it may be gone forever.

Toodle pip. :)

Oh man just shut up, shut right up. Stop making mountains out of molehills, find a hobby, go out in the sunshine and enjoy your life. Your cause is not noble, nor appreciated, and not in the least bit purposeful.

We happen to have a lot of rights in this country, and we no doubt live in one of the safest places in the world. If you really care so much about rights abuse then why not join Amnesty International; put your flapping to good, meaningful use.

We've had an abundance protests recently, particularly about funding cuts etc and many of those haven't been impeded.

Our rights have hardly diminished, I think it is just your ability to produce valid points that has eroded and lost you the argument actually. Free speech should always be protected, but not if the speech that wants to be said is mindless nonsense.

That's the thing, people were allowed to protest. These clowns weren't because their methods were offensive. Beheading an effigy of the grooms uncle on his wedding day? Fuck right off. Grow up and learn to make a point without resorting to offensive gimmicks.

Yep, arrest loads of people before they get the chance to form a crowd, that way the handful of people who do turn up are much easier to bully and intimidate when they are outnumbered.

No, they arrested one guy, initially. Anything after was because of their response. Oh, and, what bullying?

You're guessing it was for an earlier offense why, because there was no crime being committed at the time? No, it was for possession of an offensive weapon, which the police hadn't yet decided, I mean investigated, what that item was. You can hear the police saying that in the video if you listen carefully.

Maybe someone saw him with it earlier and reported it to the police? The police often won't tell on lookers the specifics of what they're arresting a suspect for.

And here it is.

Basically you, or the majority here it appears, is not going to support the rights of people they don't like the look of or don't agree with when when their rights are abused.

I meant the kind of people who, when someone is arrested, instead of doing to proper thing and letting a judge, magistrate or jury decide, insist on confronting the police immediately. I meant the kind of people who, when the police do their job and control the immediate area they're doing something (in this case making an arrest) in by using proportional force. I admit I only watched half the video (I'm in Turkey with a poor quality internet connection, and due to local laws anything on Youtube has to come through a proxy - it was taking literally for ever to load, and then my connection died), though I don't recall seeing anyone's rights being abused.

You clearly missed my little tiff with Iun where I said, quite clearly, that people have the right to say what ever they want, no matter how stupid or even insulting it is, even if I disagree with it (with a few exceptions, such as encouraging violence, and to not harass individuals).

No, it's a law that they are allowed to break in pursuit of their duty, just like the power to run a red light. If no crime is being committed then the police are not allowed to lay their hands on you. That is fine in theory, but in practice it allows the police to abuse the law at their discretion.

Do you really think that's what happened in the video you posted? The police arrested a man and held back the other protesters because they were riled up, shocked and probably scared. No one was assaulted, one person tried pushing past the police only to be moved back by minimal force - which didn't stop him instantly crying 'assault' like a toddler.

I think you just have an issue with authority. How do you expect the police to act in that situation? They didn't go there to stop any protests, they went there to arrest someone and that's what they did.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!