N-Europe

Super Mario 3D Land

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All handheld Mario games have had hold a button to run, the slow speed was obviously just to show the game off better.

But that's because there has never been an analog input method. If you used the touch screen on SM64 DS, then you didn't have to hold down run. It was a hardware design limitation - nothing more.

Now unless I dreamt it, I've read somewhere that the Tanooki suit doesn't actually allow Mario to fly which seems odd but then I never liked the flying in the 2D games as you just end up missing the entirety of the level and flying in 3D levels can be tricky because of their design.

I am of the mind that it looks a little a slow and the incredibly zoomed in camera doesn't aid things. But when it's that close to Mario, you wouldn't dare let him run for encountering something you can't see in time to react too - known in some circles as Hedgehog Syndrome.

Will I get it? Of course. Have my expectations took a hit? Unfortunately yes. Hopefully that will mean it will surprise me and I will enjoy it more.

Edited by Captain Falcon
Automerged Doublepost

Screens

http://uk.media.ds.ign.com/media/099/099437/imgs_1.html

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/099/099437/imgs_2.html

And some info on the Zelda level!

The Legend of Super Mario 3DS

During a developer roundtable at E3 2011, Shigeru Miyamoto (creator of such classic Nintendo franchises as Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda), showed off a few stages of Super Mario 3DS that were not available to demo on the show floor. In the middle of the demonstration, we were all a little puzzled when he began to talk about Zelda's 25th anniversary. But soon it became very clear as to the cause of this sudden shift in subject.

In honor of this Zelda milestone, it was revealed to us that a special level dedicated to the franchise has been included in Mario 3DS. Naturally, this level is from a top-down perspective, and features a floor pattern straight out of A Link to the Past. You'll also see a few other throwbacks a well, such as moving spikes and torches that Mario must light using a fire flower power-up. When the torches are lit, the classic puzzle-solving music plays as your way forward is unlocked.

The top-down perspective also allows for some cool moments using the Nintendo portable's 3D effect. Down pound a music note box and Mario will be propelled forward, straight toward the player's face. There are also pillars of flame that come towards the player and should look amazing as they pop out of the screen in 3D.

Of course, this isn't the first time Mario Easter eggs have found their way into a Zelda game. The most notable occurrence is in Link's Awakening (which is now available for purchase on the 3DS via the Nintendo e-shop), which features goombas and koopas in a handful of side-scrolling areas included in the game. There is also a chain chomp that Link befriends and uses to gobble up enemies. And, of course, there are the Mario character portraits that can be seen through the windows in the castle courtyard in the original Ocarina of Time.

It's no secret that I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I can assure you that this Mario 3DS level is a fitting homage to Miyamoto-san's other love child. It seamlessly blends the two worlds together. What's exciting is that there's even more to this level than was shown. There was a certain area that was purposefully avoided because Miyamoto-san declared that, "What's in there… is a secret." I can only assume a Zelda-themed mini-boss or some other surprise throwback lies beyond that door, but I guess we'll all just have to wait until Super Mario 3DS releases later this year.

Edited by Retro_Link

It's a shame I was expecting a new Mario game in the form of Mario 64 or Galaxy. Now I'm a bit disappointed.

I couldn't enjoy the New Super Mario Bros. games, so I doubt it'll be different with Super Mario 3DS.

Hopefully a demo will change my mind.

This game seems to be a cross between Galaxy and New SMB, with on-rails 2D levels and 3D floating Galaxy style levels, should be a nice mix IMO.

Not the Super Mario game I was hoping for, just looks like a 2.5D New Super Mario Bros.

I expected to be blown away (Galaxy style) with the graphics, I wasn't.

Nintendo seem to be struggling to push the 3DS in terms of graphics, anyone else agree?

Not the Super Mario game I was hoping for, just looks like a 2.5D New Super Mario Bros.

I expected to be blown away (Galaxy style) with the graphics, I wasn't.

Nintendo seem to be struggling to push the 3DS in terms of graphics, anyone else agree?

The graphics look really nice in the IGN screens I posted links to above.

The graphics look really nice in the IGN screens I posted links to above.

But not up to Galaxy standards of nice.

You always look to Nintendo to push their hardware in regards to what its capable of but Capcom seem to be the ones doing it.

Thing is, I won't be convinced companies like Capcom and Konami are achieving better graphics than Nintendo until more of their games are out. They might not look as good as they did in the previews or they might need to be played in 2D-only mode to look that good. In fact, there's an issue right there: Nintendo will probably not make any games that take advantage of turning the 3D off, whereas going by Street Fighter IV, Capcom are happy to do that. So, yes, in that regard, I agree.

As Retro Link said, the 3DS is probably sub-GameCube anyway, but personally, I'm happy with the relatively sharp display and the detail of Wuhu Island in Pilotwings.

Looks (and sounds) great, nice vid. Definite Galaxy style level there. I'm liking the mix between the various Marios.

I could have done with Stars at the end of each level, say Mario 3 item blocks or Super Paper Mario star blocks, rather than a flagpole but no big deal.

Edited by Ronnie

It looks like a whole game of those bonus levels from Sunshine crossed with Mario 3 and 64.

I AM IN LOVE.

Yeah apparently this game does have shorter more linear levels like 2D Mario, as opposed to the more open world type levels of Mario 64 & Galaxy...

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/117/1174800p1.html

E3 2011: Mario 3DS - Meet iMario

This may be Mario's biggest 3D adventure, but it's his smallest.

There's no doubt in my mind I love what Nintendo is doing with Mario 3DS. The game is at once nostalgic and original. It's 2D and 3D. It's challenging yet simple. In many ways it finds an incredible balance... except for one.

These levels are short.

At first I was a bit baffled. The game is certainly trying to recall a bit of old school goodness. Gone are the days of stars and miniature worlds accessed through paintings. Now it seems we're back to World 2-3, bouncing up stairs to get flags and, of course, a Tanooki suit.

One thing I had always forgotten about older Mario games is that they're relatively short. I remember running through some of Super Mario Bros. 3 when I was evaluating the Mario 25th Anniversary set, and I frequently reached the end of a level when I assumed I'd be nearing the halfway point.

Here's what's important though - I think the game works better with its short levels. This is a case where swinging to one design extreme works in favor of a game. I realize many of you love deep, complex experiences, but I'm sure there are just as many who need that kind of segmented gameplay to be able to fit it in your lifestyles.

When I'm gaming strictly on a casual basis, I don't have much time. I also often reach for my iPhone, because I know it has the kind of games I can polish off quickly. With Mario 3DS, I can run through a level in relatively short order, and feel very rewarded for a minimal time investment. And that's not to say these levels are easy, either. In just the four segments I played, some rather crafty obstacles were thrown in my way.

Mario 3DS has captured the era of "iPhone gaming" well. I can clear a stage or crush an airship in the span of a few minutes. It's honestly a bit refreshing to set down an epic like Ocarina of Time 3D and play around in an original 3D world for Mario, no matter how brief it is.

I love super mario galaxy 2, because it was a purely hardcore title. I know new super mario bros wii sold a lot better due to it's simplicity but I'm not sure I like the idea of the 2 types of mario platforming merged. I for one STILL loved the exploring of super mario 64 and super mario sunshine :(

Edited by mcj metroid

I love all mario games. All of them. No exception.

This looks amazing. I don't like the 'idea' of holding a button for run though. And long jumps and reverse jumps better be in because I use them all the time in Galaxy!

God there's an awesome game a month for the 3DS, can't wait!!

Time limit? Really? :( Still looks slow and floaty...this game has just dropped from "must buy" to "might buy it when it's cheap". The music is good, though.

Mario games used to have time limits. Why is it an issue now?

What they're doing here, rather than have 3D Mario games is to have 3D versions of 2D Mario games, and it looks amazing