Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Celebs doing adverts...

Pancake

Well, I tried diverting the topic from Eminem to celebrities in commercials in general, like the thread title says, but apparently you just want an Eminem in a tea advert thread :rolleyes:.

I didn't mean to overlook your links, but basically they just cited other examples of celebs in ads, which i've already said i hate. I'm still curious to know what people think of celebs in ads generally, not just teagate.

Ask yourself, does him doing a tea commercial, affect his music in any way? If no, then why would you question his credibility? Of course, if it does, then I've said nothing, I'm not familiar with his lyrics.

Personally, I think his music his crap anyway, but I don't think his music becomes.. Crapper, just because he does a tea advert. Geez, it seems he's a commercial rapper, what a shocker.

It doesn't affect his music in any way, it affects his integrity in a lot of ways. He didn't start out a commercial rapper, that's the prob for me. He used to take the piss out of stuff he now embraces.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And the only good thing to come out of it is that loads of people are watching it/talking about it on the internet. But there's far cheaper ways to do that (you've been tangoed, 118, go compare etc.).
True, they should have just spray painted him and had him run on stage and slap Justin Beiber! :p

It doesn't affect his music in any way, it affects his integrity in a lot of ways. He didn't start out a commercial rapper, that's the prob for me. He used to take the piss out of stuff he now embraces.

But that's all just done to get noticed and get people talking about him. It's still selling out just in a less obvious way.

But that's all just done to get noticed and get people talking about him. It's still selling out just in a less obvious way.

*shrugs* Who knows what went on in the mind of the young Eminem. Maybe he was that scornful of the mainstream, maybe it was a shock tactics, most likely... a mixture.

Still it didn't feel contrived, it was no... Lipton Iced Tea advert!

I don't really get why people call celebs or sports starts "sellouts" for such a thing. Money is money to everyone at the end of the day. I love Eminem, but for as "real" as he's image is supposed to be, he just wants to make a killing as much as the next guy.

[..]

He always has been commercial. He wanted to make money with what he does best: he's commercial. He even made a movie pretty early in his career. The problem here is, you think there's something wrong with being commercial. Most people would like to make money with what they do best. If not, they wouldn't sign record deals etc.

Of course, if you knew him before Dr. Dre made him a star, then, again, I've said nothing.

I don't really get why people call celebs or sports starts "sellouts" for such a thing. Money is money to everyone at the end of the day. I love Eminem, but for as "real" as he's image is supposed to be, he just wants to make a killing as much as the next guy.

I just don't understand why you'd agree to an advert that's obviously going to be shite though? If I were famous I'd want to do a stunning one.

Even still, $1,000,000 for a few hours work might just make me get out of bed in the morning. Maybe.

I can see how he could have been tempted. But he also could have went "nah" and rolled over and went back to sleep in his four poster bed, in his ginormous mansion.

He always has been commercial. He wanted to make money with what he does best: he's commercial. He even made a movie pretty early in his career. The problem here is, you think there's something wrong with being commercial. Most people would like to make money with what they do best. If not, they wouldn't sign record deals etc.

Of course, if you knew him before Dr. Dre made him a star, then, again, I've said nothing.

I disagree. I think he wanted to rap, because that's what he loves. I think he wanted to be heard, more than he wanted to bank the cash. And even if he did want to get rich, it was more a "fuck you" to the life of poverty he'd endured all his life, rather than just pure greed... which is what this tea ad is.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being commercial. I listen to pop music. I love Rihanna, and Lady Gaga... and it still irked me when Lady Gaga started whoring the product placement all over her vids. It's just unecessary, even for a pop star.

The problem is Eminem IS making money. He already has made it, and will continue to make it from royalties, even if he never records another track in his life... stuff like this tea advert is just crass nothingness.

But $1M is still a lot of money even to Eminem.

Maybe, but where does he price his credibility? Obviously under the 1m mark somewhere...

the thing I don't get with celebs in adverts, surely the companies would have to pay them shit loads for it. But will a celebrity in a TV advert really increase sales that much? Obviously it does otherwise they wouldn't do it. But I still can't understand it myself.

But you're far less likely to become a famous millionaire unless you're a sell-out.

I don't get it either. I don't watch Lenny Henry in a Travelodge advert, then feel like buying a Lenny Henry DVD (nothing could make me feel like doing that!).

Eminem didn't have to do anything sellouty to become famous though, it was off the back of his talent. Now it's like he's doing it backwards... he got the fame legitimately, and now he's selling out.

Celebrity endorsement is HUGE!

When the Spice Girls started endorsing Pepsi their global market share went up by 2%. This has been proven to be down to the endorsement.

On the other side. Recent studies have shown that the Tiger Woods fiasco cost his sponsors (Accenture, Nike, Gillette) etc lost around 2-3% of their market share after it came to light.

These are obviously just 2, major, examples but these are repeated all over the world. In Japan around 75% of adverts have celebrity endorsement.

Agree with most about not liking them.

I love the one Beyoncé did with Armani diamonds though...and the adds that Ella Fitzgerald did with KFC + this tape company. (she scats in the KFC one!!)

Can't help but think SELL-OUT when I see them though :/

Sometimes it adds. Like when Christiano Ronaldo did that Armani advert. Made every gay man out there dream of dragging him out the closet. [Most awful actor I've ever seen though...]

On the subject of Armani: apparently sales in Armani underwear increased some massive amount after David (+Victoria) Beckham posed for them. Celeb endorsement certainly works, especially when the celebrity in question actually makes you want to buy the product.

Just like Eminem and Iced Tea!

I don't think Pancake is questioning the fact that celebrity endorsements work, that's farely evident. It's selling out unnecessarily.

I wouldn't call it selling out at all unless it's going to hurt your image.

If someone were to offer you $1m for appearing in a 30s advert who in their right mind would turn it down?!

Well it's just from this it looks like his mentality is basically, 'I'm certainly not gonna be in this forever, so make as much money as I can, while I can".

I'm not saying that's bad at all, go for it, but he shouldn't be surprised if some of his fan base feels this is incredibly cheap and thought maybe he had stronger less commercial values.

I wouldn't call it selling out at all unless it's going to hurt your image.

If someone were to offer you $1m for appearing in a 30s advert who in their right mind would turn it down?!

Someone who is already massively rich, with a few principles! Or maybe my head is just in the clouds here!

Well it's just from this it looks like his mentality is basically, 'I'm certainly not gonna be in this forever, so make as much money as I can, while I can".

I'm not saying that's bad at all, go for it, but he shouldn't be surprised if some of his fan base feels this is incredibly cheap and thought maybe he had stronger less commercial values.

Yes, basically... this. I'm one of these disgruntled fans!

Celebrity endorsement is HUGE!

These are obviously just 2, major, examples but these are repeated all over the world. In Japan around 75% of adverts have celebrity endorsement.

He also says: "Now remember, I got paid a lotta money for this and it only aired in Japan!"

But I couldn't find one that says that :p

Edited by Ellmeister

I saw these adverts while in America.

I had to get the next flight home, my dreams had been shattered.

I love how pointless her even being there is.

At least the Eminem one is "about" the fact he's there. This one would work without her in it.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!