NEurope
Pancake

Celebs doing adverts...

Just saw Eminem's tea advert from Superbowl. TEA?? Really? Oh my god Em. He did the smartarse thing to try to offset the fact he was doing an ad of course.

I hate it when celebs do ads generally, but when it's someone like Eminem, it's even worse. I mean... he's an artist i respect... doing an advert. There can be no art in adverts. Zay are evils.

I don't know why celebs would even bother to do stuff like this, and make themselves look cheap. Greedy bastards.

Not saying i've never laughed at the Japanese Arnie ads though...

I hate it when celebs do ads generally, but when it's someone like Eminem, it's even worse. I mean... he's an artist i respect... doing an advert. There can be no art in adverts. Zay are evils.

This is the superbowl. It costs millions just to get a 30 second slot, the level of exposure is in a league of its own.

The term "celebs" makes me want to throw up.

Also, money. That is the answer for which you seek. It also covers several questions you didn't ask so feel free to go green and reuse it when applicable.

This is the superbowl. It costs millions just to get a 30 second slot, the level of exposure is in a league of its own.

Who's getting exposure though? The tea company! It's not like Em was promoting a track or something.

Or did he want exposure for Eminem 'the brand'! Like anyone doesn't know who Eminem is! It was clearly just for the £££. Or, $$$, i should say.

It still works, it doesn't matter if it's not pushing anything. It puts Eminem back in your mind. In fact, the very notion that it was for something uncharacteristic will get everybody (see: this thread) talking about it.

Of course it was for the $$$, why else?

will get everybody (see: this thread) talking about it.

Yeah... for the wrong reasons.

Any publicity is good publicity..

Disagree. I'm an Em fan, and i think less of him. I'm sure lots feel the same way!

Yes but this discussion/similar discussions around the world/water cooler, will make others go and check out his music on itunes when they get home. Any publicity, especially on that scale will have a positive knock-on effect for him, because the talking will create interest and eventually a percentage of that will turn into sales. [i know you know this, but it is how it'll work].

As an established fan, you may think he shouldn't stoop to such levels, but come the time he releases new material, you'll likely still check it out and not give much of a thought to when he did his tea advert.

EDIT: Also, I'd rather watch the likes of Eminem in an advert than the Kerry Katona's/Jason Donovans/Nolan woman in the Iceland adverts! :p

Edited by Retro_Link

He can't have come off worse than Christina Aguilera who apparently offended EVERY AMERICAN EVER AND ALSO THE COUNTRY ITSELF AND GOD by missing out a line of the National Anthem.

It was a horrible rendition, the shorter the better. :/

In all seriousness though. That company's getting massive exposure, and Eminem (in this case) is getting massive.. Money. Let the guy have his money. Would you say no to the money he gets for doing such a commercial?

I was looking for Dutch commercials featuring international celebrities. I knew there were a few, but I couldn't think of any from the top of my head. Our market is generally too small for such celebrities, but occasionally, a big company manages to get such celebrities on board. After some searching, I was reminded of this one:

The other guy is is pretty much our most succesful national artist.

But mostly, they stick with national celebrities, although some of them are international celebrities as well.

Eminem in a Tea advert is a wierd one though!

You could understand if it was an itunes/ipod advert, or for a radio station/something related to him. Like you can understand Keira Knightley/Charlize Theron in perfume ads, because the glamour sells them.

But I'm not sure why a tea company would hook up with Eminem, it seems to be a clash of audiences... it must purely be for the profoundity!

Yes but this discussion/similar discussions around the world/water cooler, will make others go and check out his music on itunes when they get home. Any publicity, especially on that scale will have a positive knock-on effect for him, because the talking will create interest and eventually a percentage of that will turn into sales. [i know you know this, but it is how it'll work].

As an established fan, you may think he shouldn't stoop to such levels, but come the time he releases new material, you'll likely still check it out and not give much of a thought to when he did his tea advert.

EDIT: Also, I'd rather watch the likes of Eminem in an advert than the Kerry Katona's/Jason Donovans/Nolan woman in the Iceland adverts! :p

I know, but it's that calcluated, sales/profit driven mentality that i don't like. If he'd done a spot promoting his music, i'd not have a problem. But accepting a paycheck, to advertiste tea, which in turn will boost his sales... just makes him looks like a sellout. They'll have his face on the cans next! "Shady Strawberry Iced Tea"! :nono:

And no i'd not abandon him as a fan just over this, i'm not that fickle. But it's not like i'd forget he did an ICED TEA ADVERT, either! Jeez.

But yeah, at least he's not Kerry Katona. :p

In all seriousness though. That company's getting massive exposure, and Eminem (in this case) is getting massive.. Money. Let the guy have his money. Would you say no to the money he gets for doing such a commercial?

If i was a millionaire many times over, and had the choice to earn a bit of extra, a little cherry on the top you might say, OR retain my credibility and not be a big fat sellout...

I'd choose the latter!

If they were in the market for a rapper they should have gone for Ice-T, really.

I'm not complaining about Gethin Jones appearing in my ad breaks tbh.

But no... it is weird... I always find it weird when you have someone like Stephen Fry or Patrick Stewart of Michael Gambon saying "We, at HSBC, believe in etc" as if he works there.

the thing I don't get with celebs in adverts, surely the companies would have to pay them shit loads for it. But will a celebrity in a TV advert really increase sales that much? Obviously it does otherwise they wouldn't do it. But I still can't understand it myself.

If i was a millionaire many times over, and had the choice to earn a bit of extra, a little cherry on the top you might say, OR retain my credibility and not be a big fat sellout...

I'd choose the latter!

But you're far less likely to become a famous millionaire unless you're a sell-out.

[..]

I'd choose the latter!

Well, I tried diverting the topic from Eminem to celebrities in commercials in general, like the thread title says, but apparently you just want an Eminem in a tea advert thread :rolleyes:.

Ask yourself, does him doing a tea commercial, affect his music in any way? If no, then why would you question his credibility? Of course, if it does, then I've said nothing, I'm not familiar with his lyrics.

Personally, I think his music his crap anyway, but I don't think his music becomes.. Crapper, just because he does a tea advert. Geez, it seems he's a commercial rapper, what a shocker.

the thing I don't get with celebs in adverts, surely the companies would have to pay them shit loads for it. But will a celebrity in a TV advert really increase sales that much? Obviously it does otherwise they wouldn't do it. But I still can't understand it myself.

But you're far less likely to become a famous millionaire unless you're a sell-out.

I don't get it either. I don't watch Lenny Henry in a Travelodge advert, then feel like buying a Lenny Henry DVD (nothing could make me feel like doing that!).

Eminem didn't have to do anything sellouty to become famous though, it was off the back of his talent. Now it's like he's doing it backwards... he got the fame legitimately, and now he's selling out.

Expanding: According to the interwebs, Eminem got paid $1,000,000 for that ad. Does him being in the ad really increase profits by $1,000,000?

Expanding: According to the interwebs, Eminem got paid $1,000,000 for that ad. Does him being in the ad really increase profits by $1,000,000?
What makes it wierder is that it's an animated ad, which means 1) he only did a simple voice over for $1,000,000 2) surely that ad took more time and money to make than a live action ad, which means less profits 3) the fact he's not even in the advert send out the message that a. the thought it was a bit lame to start with (bad for the company) b. the company isn't even using his real image for anyone to associate with (bad for the company)!

What makes it wierder is that it's an animated ad, which means 1) he only did a simple voice over for $1,000,000 2) surely that ad took more time and money to make than a live action ad, which means less profits 3) the fact he's not even in the advert send out the message that a. the thought it was a bit lame to start with (bad for the company) b. the company isn't even using his real image for anyone to associate with (bad for the company)!

And the only good thing to come out of it is that loads of people are watching it/talking about it on the internet. But there's far cheaper ways to do that (you've been tangoed, 118, go compare etc.).