Formula 1 2011

Retro_Link

• Replies 827
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah was good to see Rubens up there!

HRT should just go home!

Hope we see the KERS graphic return in Qually/Race, I'm sure it will, we need to know when it's being used. Can't remember if they had it up during practice in '09.

Anyone gonna stay up and watch P2?

EDIT: Also, one of Massa's lock-ups was crazy! SO much smoke off of that tyre!

checking the BBC TV Schedule and they aren't showing the qualifiers on TV Live in the morning, only the repeat at 13:00!

Well saves me 2 early mornings I guess, I'll just avoid all internet / sports channels / news updates till after watching the qualifier.

Are you sure? I scanned forward on the TV last night to Saturday and I thought it said coverage started at 5.00am?

EDIT: Just been on the BBC F1 website

Saturday 26 March

Third practice: 0255-0405, BBC Red Button/BBC Radio 5 live sports extra/online

Qualifying: 0500-0730, BBC One/BBC Radio 5 live/online

Qualifying repeat: 1300-1415, BBC One

So based on P2, have McLaren got it together?

Just caught up on Karun's crash, feel a bit sorry for him really. Does look a bit wierd.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9435588.stm

---

Also, Codemasters have announced F1 2011 for September, and it looks like the 3DS may well be getting a version! :D

Edited by Retro_Link

No sure if McLaren will have it totally together, practice can be a funny thing.

I think with the Lotus crash it was a case of too much power down on a still drying track. Still a stupid mistake to make though.

Any predictions? I'm going with a Red Bull one-two in qualifying with an Alonso win. He just seems far to consistent at the moment not to go for.

Based on their practice pace I would guesstimate that McLaren are back in the third fastest spot out of the gate again. They seem to have sorted their reliability issues out, which constitutes massive progress by itself. It's impossible to predict what will happen without knowing how each car uses the new tires under race conditions relative to each other - no point in a lightening quick car that chews through rubber like a caterpillar through wet cabbage.

Forgot to mention it's great to have the beautiful Natalie Pinkham now reporting from the pit lane during Practice! :D

Always liked her!

natalie%20pinkham%20BOW.jpg

Right I'm gonna get an earlier night tonight, then it's up at 5.00am for QUALLY!! :yay:

In for a Wet Weekend?

Edited by Retro_Link

Vettel was like a bloody bullet! How on earth was he that quicker?! Massa was awful as always. Surprised by how far ahead Mclaren were of the midfield teams, we all thought they were far back but apparently not.

Also, the DC and MB act worked BRILLIANTLY. Brundle sounded interested again and loved every minute of it. DC seemed like a whole new person!

Vettel was like a bloody bullet! How on earth was he that quicker?! Massa was awful as always. Surprised by how far ahead Mclaren were of the midfield teams, we all thought they were far back but apparently not.

Also, the DC and MB act worked BRILLIANTLY. Brundle sounded interested again and loved every minute of it. DC seemed like a whole new person!

Yeah what an brilliant Qualifying session.

Did you notice Martin started off sounding a little scripted, something I'm sure he'll soon get to grips with, but once the action started he was fantastic, and Coulthard great too.

Sutil's moment on the pit straight was entertaining!

Heidfeld utterly shocking!!... Quick Nick... lolz! and yeah Massa was no where today. Schumi also probably should have done better.

Vettels performance was just outstanding!

Did you notice how utterly speechless Webber was. Wen they got out the cars he kept his helmet on, the classic sign, he even took a look under Vettels car which I thought was a bit wierd! Then he just seemed to stare open mouthed, utterly transfixed at the timing screen until some women moved him on for photo's!

Great drive from Hamilton aswell.

EDIT:

Also, it's right that HRT shouldn't be racing, there car was even fallling to bits out there ffs!

Loved the intro montage!

Enjoyed Buttons track walk. Thought his 'Oh my god... was that Vettel' was hilarious! :D

And will' if you want an F1 drinking game, how about a drink for every one of Coulthards 'Well indeed'! ;)

Edited by Retro_Link

Yeah what an brilliant Qualifying session.

Did you notice Martin started off sounding a little scripted, something I'm sure he'll soon get to grips with, but once the action started he was fantastic, and Coulthard great too.

Have they got rid of that twonk that has been doing it for the BBC for the past 3 years or so who always got everything wrong and Martin Brundle and to correct him on everything.

Have they got rid of that twonk that has been doing it for the BBC for the past 3 years or so who always got everything wrong and Martin Brundle and to correct him on everything.
Yes they have!! :yay:

I've heard rumours he might be doing the Oxford Cambridge Boat Race today... "Look at them go!.. Oxford are really on a charge now!" :rolleyes:

And will' if you want an F1 drinking game, how about a drink for every one of Coulthards 'Well indeed'! ;)

Unfortunately it's going to have to be a drink for every time the American commentators speak.

As for the past few posts, I never want to hear a bad word said about former uk commentators. The coverage here is utterly utterly terrible, there are no words to describe how bad it is. I'd gladly take leggard and Allen on itv over this rubbish.

The show started at the same time as actual qualifying, we then had a really terrible intro to the drivers and were allowed to start watching the actual action 20 minutes later, rendering the $30 iPad app totally useless. Every 5 minutes we have adverts, and they kind of slow down the show, not just let it run, not pause it, somewhere in the middle, and they managed to miss out some good action doing this.

The commentators are just awful though, they didn't understand the rules, couldn't understand why you would use different tyres, confused a virgin car with massa for a few laps.

I'm so jealous of you guys now. If this season is tight I'd actually fly home to watch the final race.

Unfortunately it's going to have to be a drink for every time the American commentators speak.

As for the past few posts' date=' I never want to hear a bad word said about former uk commentators. The coverage here is utterly utterly terrible, there are no words to describe how bad it is. I'd gladly take leggard and Allen on itv over this rubbish.

The show started at the same time as actual qualifying, we then had a really terrible intro to the drivers and were allowed to start watching the actual action 20 minutes later, rendering the $30 iPad app totally useless. Every 5 minutes we have adverts, and they kind of slow down the show, not just let it run, not pause it, somewhere in the middle, and they managed to miss out some good action doing this.

The commentators are just awful though, they didn't understand the rules, couldn't understand why you would use different tyres, confused a virgin car with massa for a few laps.

I'm so jealous of you guys now. If this season is tight I'd actually fly home to watch the final race.[/quote']

Ah man that sounds horrible :/ Thing is so much American commentary is like that! We're quite lucky.

Oh yeah, bollocks, sorry! That sounds utterly aweful, sorry to hear that.

What does it say if you try and access the iPlayer?... that it's not available outside the UK, or can you get on?

Yeah I just get a screen saying it's not available here. I'm guessing that I can tunnel into it someway so I might try and get that sorted for the race. Hopefully our crappy Internet can handle it.
How can I watch BBC F1 outside the UK?

British F1 fans heading abroad who want to be able to watch live F1 on the BBC have a couple of options.

The most dependable would be to purchase a Slingbox. This allows you to broadcast your home television directly to another computer across the internet.

Providing your home internet connection upload speed is fast enough (at least 256kbps) this is probably the most reliable solution available. It’s not free' date=' of course, a basic Slingbox will set you back around £70.

There are dedicated services such as Thetelly which claim to offer subscription-based access to British television programmes from abroad. But I’ve no experience of using them so I can’t vouch for their quality or reliability.

[i']How can I watch iPlayer outside the UK?[/i]

BBC’s iPlayer seems to be a much more sophisticated solution to whatever ITV were using to limit online F1 coverage to the UK only. But there are some ways around it.

Using remote access

If you’re a British fan heading abroad you could leave your home machine on and connect to it from abroad using a remote connection service such as LogMeIn or GoToMyPC.

Using a UK proxy

You can use a UK proxy to view iPlayer. Sites listing UK proxies can be found easily on Google, and you will then have to configure your internet connection to use the proxy – here’s how to configure a proxy using Internet Explorer. Here are some more details on how to achieve this using Firefox.

Dan D, who’s helped out on the Grand Prix Live Blogs this year, offered these thoughts on using UK proxies to watch iPlayer abroad:

UK proxy server sites (like this one) can be used but they appear to be pretty sketchy, in terms of the security risk you take on if you use them. Not only do most require membership and thus some degree of personally identifiable information, but potentially they will harvest more of your info once you are connected. Some are undoubtedly more trustworthy than others, but it’s hard to know which are which.

Free, smaller-scale sites (like this one) could also work in theory, but this one explicitly excludes the BBC iPlayer. It seems users used to be able to view iPlayer material but it consumed too much bandwidth so they cut it out. Likewise, this one is free and seems reputable but does not handle streaming content.

Any chance you could go for one of the first few options and get family back home to send their TV signal (using Slingbox), or turn their computer on and you use LogMeIn or something?

Wow, ominous performance for Vettel, just incredible. The car looks so planted and balanced it almost seems as if he could just take his hands off the wheel and let it run itself. It'll be the double for him this year surely? Amazing turnaround from McLaren, though the nature of the track might be flattering them. No excuses from Ferrari though, where were they?

Also Kobayashi looks fantastic in that Saubre, hanging it out on every turn, truly special to watch. Surely someone in the top flight of teams has a tab on his name somewhere. Vettel & Kobayashi? Hamilton & Kobayashi? No matter which way you slice it it just sounds... right.

Fascinating article about the possible existence of a "mini-KERS" on the Red Bull here. Whether or not you think it exists probably depends on if you believe Adrian Newey is an evil mastermind. I know what my guess is.

Edited by gaggle64

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!