NEurope
Cube

Firefly Mafia - Game Thread

Hang on, Zell was not unlynchable, whoever Notes is he's a liar and a scoundrel.

Being unlynchable wasn't his power - it was more the fact that he doesn't do anything negative and he appears as good should have made him fairly unlynchable.

Well played, gentlemen! It was a shame that Zell was lynched when he was, and MadDog killing himself was incredibly unlucky, too. But that doesn't even compare to the luck we had in the final day, with Tales saving Herojan.

But man, this turned out awesome. The town and the mafia went toe-to-toe, and the game was incredibly close, up until the end. I'm going to attribute this to really well made roles. Incredible job, Cube :grin:

Everyone involved played well*, though. Awesome game all around.

*Well, I didn't, considering I even forgot about my own lynchbomb, but still :heh:

I agree with jonnas, really well thought out roles. I sucked though. Voted for every townie lynched.

Well that was fun. I suspected Rez since the very start but I couldn't let anyone else know because I would die if he died. Also, if I had voted for Rez to be lynched, I would appear as evil and so I would have died eventually anyway...

Couldn't kill the love of my life though, it would be against my character :P

Great game though, made it to the end so I'm happy. I also didn't die, which rarely ever happens.

ReZ, I love you, let me join you! :p

Edited by Diageo

I was so pissed off that Jonnas had a lynchbomb! Good game though.

As a spectator I was constantly shouting at the screen "LYNCH REZ!" but he amazingly kept on avoiding it. Making up a fake investigator role was very clever.

HeroJan did well too I thought, avoiding all suspicion. I was always slightly suspicious seeing that I was a straight investigator, and jay was a note sender, that there couldn't be 3 investigating roles that were good! And then as the game went on his voting did seem a bit dodgy, but the mafia did very well at the end there!

Phew, what a great ending! :D This game seemed dead for a long while, but then it was suddenly cranked into gear!

Didn't Diageo's behaviour demonstrate why the mechanic with a townie/scumnag couple doesn't work? The townie has essentially no chance of winning.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I had no chance of winning. Especially since we both had to die if one did.

When Herojan said that ReZ was mafia, I thought. Alright, either he is mafia and I'm fucked and can never win, or he's town. I didn't think of the whole traitor townie thing. So since I was fucked if he was mafia, I had to act like he wasn't, because it's the only way I could win.

Didn't Diageo's behaviour demonstrate why the mechanic with a townie/scumnag couple doesn't work? The townie has essentially no chance of winning.

Some roles are just like that. Like a neutral role who has to kill everyone in the game, or the role I had in the Pokémafia where I had to get lynched to find my role, then I had to kill at least three people and survive until the end of the game while everyone knew who I was.

Some roles are just like that. Like a neutral role who has to kill everyone in the game, or the role I had in the Pokémafia where I had to get lynched to find my role, then I had to kill at least three people and survive until the end of the game while everyone knew who I was.

Not really a good excuse ... :blank: Why make a role that's essentially broken in a game that relies so much on balanced roles and player activity?

Not really a good excuse ... :blank: Why make a role that's essentially broken in a game that relies so much on balanced roles and player activity?

He did have a way out by killing his partner. From them on it would have been a case of convincing people that you're good and hoping they don't investigate you. As a mafia-mafia couple is a pointless idea, the town would have probably bought it.

He did have a way out by killing his partner. From them on it would have been a case of convincing people that you're good and hoping they don't investigate you. As a mafia-mafia couple is a pointless idea, the town would have probably bought it.

Wait, what? That's not what the role description says. It says Diageo would kill himself if ReZ was killed, which I assume also include lynches. It was logically impossible for Diageo to win.

Well that was fun. I suspected Rez since the very start but I couldn't let anyone else know because I would die if he died. Also, if I had voted for Rez to be lynched, I would appear as evil and so I would have died eventually anyway...

Couldn't kill the love of my life though, it would be against my character :P

Great game though, made it to the end so I'm happy. I also didn't die, which rarely ever happens.

ReZ, I love you, let me join you! :p

LOL yeah, right.

Heroijan played surely a flawless game - only on a few occasions did I suspect him, but because of this the-mafia-don't-fully-know-who-is mafia business, it became a lot harder for the town to accurately pick apart the mafia based on behavioural interactions.

However - one of my favourite games. Inspired and fairly constant debates, lack of trust at every angle. Even up to my death I was genuinely uncertain about who was left as mafia.

Except that they had to come from my list - zell, me, heroijan and rez. Got zell lynched, then I went down... and people just forgot what I had said (which is understandable).

Diageo; you were in an unlucky situation (not that I believe you suspected ReZ) because it does seem that you had no choice but to trust ReZ seeing as your life was in your hands. This messed with your judgement and your rationality and in effect you were an extra vote for the mafia at all turns.

it came down to only a few people, so well played :)

Wait, what? That's not what the role description says. It says Diageo would kill himself if ReZ was killed, which I assume also include lynches. It was logically impossible for Diageo to win.

When ReZ reached half the majority then Diageo had the option of killing ReZ himself. This would get him out of the "if ReZ dies, he dies" problem but would make him appear evil if investigated after this event.

He sent me a PM saying that since ReZ had a good few votes, I could vote for him and since I killed a townie, I would appear as evil.

If Rez died and appeared as good, I would have been immediately investigated. If he appeared as mafia, people would obviously investigate me.

Heroijan played surely a flawless game - only on a few occasions did I suspect him, but because of this the-mafia-don't-fully-know-who-is mafia business, it became a lot harder for the town to accurately pick apart the mafia based on behavioural interactions.

I was also a lucky bastard, I was expecting to fail to kill The Peeps and got away with it. I was expecting to be caught out when I was revealed as the old man since in the first write-up it is made clear that the old man is the leader of the mafia. When Jonnas died he took out an investigator for me, and when Zell died he confused everyone since most theories depended on him being mafia. I felt like they were just facilitating my win and felt bad... Still glad Rez won with me though, by the skin of our teeth. Any other result tonight would have meant a loss for us.

The frail man? Yeah when I read stuff up pre-zell's lynch I made a mental note to find out who this fella is as he's dodgy... but forgot about it when it came out! AAAH!

I'm fine with the role Cube. I don't really care about winning and the game was lots of fun. I'd say if you were to give anyone a role like this, I'd be the best candidate to not be pissed off. No power and a traitorous partner, I was fucked from the beginning. :p

I thought it was hilarious when Sméagol died, his life was in Rez's hands and he tells everyone to vote for Rez :p

Great game, although it was one of the more frustrating ones for me :rolleyes:. Great roles though, and too bad you (just like me) had to cut a few.

I knew ReZ was going to be a problem, since we preferrably had to get Diageo's support. But well, The Peeps double vote would have worked too, but he voted for me. Thanks Peeps! I blame you most of all :p. It seems pure logic doesn't always work :rolleyes:. That said, we should have gotten rid of him earlier probably.

heroicjanitor, at the end, I suspected there was a possibility. There were 3 investigators (well 2 real ones, but..), and jay was good. I definitely knew ReZ was evil / not a real investigator, but I didn't know about heroic. 2 townie investigators is not unheard of (well, 3 with mr-paul), so I didn't suspect anything most of the game. It was only at the end when I needed to weed out the last 2, that I began of the possibility. I noticed he just gets abilities, and no alignments. This would be more beneficial to a mafia investigator than a townie one, so that's the only time I suspected a possibility. However, at that point, after Zell's lynching, I also began to suspect The Peeps a bit, since there wasn't much known about him either. I suspected The Peeps more, which unfortunately led me to switching him and heroicjanitor, as Cube pointed out. Perhaps the most crucial of my "mistakes". And I dismissed the idea he might be evil for that moment. However, during the day, I didn't do much with my minor suspicion of The Peeps, as ReZ was a more obvious choice, but by then, it was already too late. The Peeps could have redeemed himself in my eyes though at that point, had he voted for ReZ like was the most logical thing to do, but.. Well.. :rolleyes:.

My idea behind all my switching was generally to switch someone who I thought was good at that point, and perhaps a likely target, with someone who I thought was / might be evil at that point, in the hope of getting the wrong guy killed. Not all of my suspicions were correct, but it certainly worked out with MadDog. And it seems I was totally right about Zell too, so I took 2 of you down with me. Eventhough I lost, I guess that's a pretty good score :D.

Edited by Sméagol

I literally had no idea as by the end of the game I was suspicious of everyone for different reasons lol.

I came so close to using my lynch-halt on you though Sméagol. I actually had the post written but chickened out.

heroicjanitor did an amazing job considering I was told he was mafia and I didn't think he was mafia. :p

I knew ReZ was going to be a problem.

Doesn't everyone? :D

This was a great game, I didn't really know how to play it so I just winged it. I think I was unlucky - I was offline for the entire day that I was lynched so couldn't defend myself... but at the same time I would have left the game anyway due to internets so it wouldn't have made much difference.

Heroic - yeah you were partly right. I basically knew I couldn't win outright because of people who had been killed. One night I made Ell steal from a corpse and he was roleblocked which sucked, and another night my stealer was redirected to jay, who I'd already targeted. Which sucked some more.

There was one post in the game that I wrote SO carefully. It was really funny actually - I thought heroic had a lie-detector power as he asked me a really direct question which I had already answered a few days before. I thought he was going to analyse my posts and see if I'd lied. It took me about 10 mins to go through the post in a way that lied in no way at all but also answered his questions. I was so proud of it at the end... then it was all for nothing. I'll try and find the post if I can :)

Good game Cube! TBH I didnt think it was really obvious from the write-ups - great investigation skills from heroic - but when I kept getting items worth $100 or $1000 I was getting pretty annoyed and thought I'd never win even if I did survive! Spose I just targeted the wrong people :D