NEurope
Goafer

Unheard of Bands/Artists

I've had a craving for new (at least new to me) bands and artists recently so I thought I'd start this thread for people to post bands that not many people have heard of.

So yeah, show me bands/artists that no one will have heard of. And to save having a massive scruffy thread full of videos and the like, I'm putting each band in a spoiler box. It would be nice if other people did the same! A brief description of the band wouldn't go amiss either so that it can help people decide to look for other music by the band/artist.

My input:

Stolen Babies are an American avant-garde metal band with significant influences from dark cabaret, signed to The End Records.

Among the band's many musical influences are groups such as Oingo Boingo, Mr. Bungle, and Fishbone (with whom Gil Sharone has performed). Stolen Babies are known for their on-stage theatrics and energetic performances, filled with props and Gorey-esque backdrops, all made by the various members. Except for the earliest demo, each album has featured artwork by indie comic artist Crab Scrambly.

Diablo Swing Orchestra is a Swedish Swing revival band. The band was formed in 2003. They have released two albums: The Butcher's Ballroom in 2006, and Sing Along Songs for the Damned & Delirious in 2009.

The origin of the name of the band is related on their website. The tongue-in-cheek back-story recounts a historically questionable ancestral story beginning in 16th century Sweden. Supposedly, ancestors of the band members performed orchestral works in defiance of the ruling church at the time (possibly in reference to the newly installed protestant Lutheran national church, in power during the mid and late 16th century). The orchestra was forced to go into hiding, performing in secret, with the assistance of oppressed peasants during the era. After years of performing for the pleasure of these peasants, the story claims that the church put a bounty on the performers' lives, and that this bounty was so high that the orchestra knew they would soon be captured, and thus chose to play a spectacular final show before becoming martyred to the church.

While this account is historically unsupported (see Foundation of Modern Sweden) it does provide a backdrop to DSO's eclectic musical style

Don't know how well known he is to everyone yet, certainly gonna be big in 2011, but I heard him last year... and though his music's perhaps not my taste, worth posting, and I like this song...

I like the video aswell.

Even if you don't like the song, it's worth watching the video from 3.30 onwards especially, beautiful!

Edited by Retro_Link

People have probably heard me ramble about them before as they are without a doubt my favourite band. They originally started off in the goth/industrial genre, but later discovered and embraced the steampunk subculture. They adopted fictional steampunk personas as airship pirates aboard the Ophelia, and their three latest albums (the latter of which the three tracks above originate from) have told stories from the steampunk universe they've created. "Captain" Robert Brown is in the process of writing a book that ties all their songs together, and I've also heard something about a role-playing game being developed.

Someone should hit that Woon guy for ruining Dubstep! (meaning it's a good song, but I hated his uninspired singing on top of the amazing backtrack)

How do Abney Park qualify as an unheard of band? They've been around for ages! If anything, I've heard too much about them, considering how average they are... Also, I see now they're copying Turisas. For shame, as usual.

______

Also, here goes something I absolutely know nobody will have ever heard of, because he's only been around for less than a month and he's done very little so far, with this being the only track so far... but it looks mighty promising. He's just a remixer, not exactly a full blown artist, but still, it takes talent to make a johnny cash song better than the original(and such a good one to begin with at that):

Meet Crank's remix of God's gonna cut you down:

Also, not exactly unheard of, but I think Emancipator and Pretty Lights both need more exposure as Nujabes' offspring, so:

How do Abney Park qualify as an unheard of band? They've been around for ages! If anything, I've heard too much about them, considering how average they are... Also, I see now they're copying Turisas. For shame, as usual.

I didn't think they were all that known. ::shrug: And as usual we disagree about such things. :p

I didn't think they were all that known. ::shrug: And as usual we disagree about such things. :p

We can disagree about wether they're good or not, but it's a well known fact that they steal. The article Terrorizer ran on them 3 years ago was hilarious. But it seems now they've moved on from ripping of Godflesh (and Head Automatica before that) onto a Gogol/Turisas model. Astonishing as usual.

They're quite universally hated within the music community for not only that but for having the most annoying fan base ever (worse than juggalos!!!) as well.

If I'm being honest I don't think they (or their fans) are that bad, but they just seem to attract a lot of hatred. : peace:

We can disagree about wether they're good or not, but it's a well known fact that they steal. The article Terrorizer ran on them 3 years ago was hilarious. But it seems now they've moved on from ripping of Godflesh (and Head Automatica before that) onto a Gogol/Turisas model. Astonishing as usual.

They're quite universally hated within the music community for not only that but for having the most annoying fan base ever (worse than juggalos!!!) as well.

If I'm being honest I don't think they (or their fans) are that bad, but they just seem to attract a lot of hatred. : peace:

Really? I've never met any hatred for them. I listened to a bit of Turisas, and I have to say I don't see much comparison. Yeah, they have some similar elements, but that's not stealing per se. But I dunno, maybe there's something to it - what are the arguments that they're stealing?

Not sure if this band has been mestioned but evenessance are worth listening to, damn amy lee is awsome :D

One word.

GorgeousGotAGun.

Add spaces.

I discovered them in the Universal Battle of the Bands Scott Pilgrim competition and have never looked back. Their album is the ONLY ALBUM I have bought in the last five or so years. Highly recommended entertainment.

Edited by Guy

What counts as unheard of? The general public haven't heard of most of the bands I like but as I prattle on about them on here chances are you may have...

Not sure if this band has been mestioned but evenessance are worth listening to, damn amy lee is awsome :D

Evanescence are hardly an "unheard of" band.

Stolen Babies (great name) remind me a bit of a more cheerful Sleepytime Gorilla Museum! Do you listen to The Dresden Dolls by any chance? Just picking up on the whole "dark cabaret" thing...

Actually, I have no idea how well-known SGM are...

Evanescence are hardly an "unheard of" band.

Regrettably.

Wow, Ryuk... you just beat my record of how many posts it takes me to hate someone. Congrats, you did it at #1.

Really? I've never met any hatred for them. I listened to a bit of Turisas, and I have to say I don't see much comparison. Yeah, they have some similar elements, but that's not stealing per se. But I dunno, maybe there's something to it - what are the arguments that they're stealing?

I really don't get why they're so hated, to be honest, it's kind of like Bieber, sometimes people just want something to hate, I guess. But they don't deserve it, they ain't that obnoxious. You've probably never met with much hatred towards them because you're not very faced towards alternative music, it seems. The communities mostly can't stand them, for some weid misplaced reason.

As for the stealing, it's not exactly stealing, it's more that their music's archetypes are constantly changing towards some new band's sound. Much like their whole sound shifted focus when turisas blew up in the music scene. You're probably checking out Rasputin, that was a joke song and doesn't really let you see their sound. Here:

You don't see it? Even the progressions are samey! AP are less metal, but it's pretty much the same writing style.

Basically, they have no musical indentity (which kind of justifies the way their visual... it's like the whole japanese visual kei movement discussion all over again)

One word.

GorgeousGotAGun.

Add spaces.

I discovered them in the Universal Battle of the Bands Scott Pilgrim competition and have never looked back. Their album is the ONLY ALBUM I have bought in the last five or so years. Highly recommended entertainment.

Wtf? I was actually expecting it to be good. Instead I got a hybrid of Paramore and this bullshit:

Fuck yeah, generic rock! :bouncy:

I really don't get why they're so hated, to be honest, it's kind of like Bieber, sometimes people just want something to hate, I guess. But they don't deserve it, they ain't that obnoxious. You've probably never met with much hatred towards them because you're not very faced towards alternative music, it seems. The communities mostly can't stand them, for some weid misplaced reason.

As for the stealing, it's not exactly stealing, it's more that their music's archetypes are constantly changing towards some new band's sound. Much like their whole sound shifted focus when turisas blew up in the music scene. You're probably checking out Rasputin, that was a joke song and doesn't really let you see their sound. Here:

You don't see it? Even the progressions are samey! AP are less metal, but it's pretty much the same writing style.

Basically, they have no musical indentity (which kind of justifies the way their visual... it's like the whole japanese visual kei movement discussion all over again)

I see ... I'm no expert on music, so I don't think I recognise some of the technical similarities. I really don't think "Abney Park" when I hear that, though I can see the resemblances. Anyway, thanks for explaining it to me. : peace:

I see ... I'm no expert on music, so I don't think I recognise some of the technical similarities. I really don't think "Abney Park" when I hear that, though I can see the resemblances. Anyway, thanks for explaining it to me. : peace:

No problem. Also, you know I like yanking chains (yours is always a pleasure), so don't feel offended, dan! :p

No problem. Also, you know I like yanking chains (yours is always a pleasure), so don't feel offended, dan! :p

Oh, no, I wasn't. I've learnt what to expect from you and not take offence! ;) I should thank you for toughening me up! :p

I said things. Silly things.

Congratulations, Oxigen_Waste! You've been chosen out of thousands of other whiney, pathetic little nutsacks on the Internet once again shitting on other people's tastes in music. You shone more brightly than the rest and we're not going to leave such jadedness unrewarded!

We're sending you to see a live performance of NAME PENDING, a band so cool and obscure they change their name every week. While there, you can look forward to BARKxBLEEP, their premiere sound which ALTERNATIVEBLOG calls "Twelve solid minutes of dogs barking to the sound of a delivery truck reversing."

We're also throwing in this douche garb for you to adorn yourself with and really get down with the sound:

b9vfl4b63ny5ujb66jRDMeoKo1_500.png

---

Seriously, don't just show up and shit on other people's music. Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

Oxigen_Waste thanked my post. Does that mean I have awesome music taste/am awesome in general?

Congratulations, Oxigen_Waste! You've been chosen out of thousands of other whiney, pathetic little nutsacks on the Internet once again shitting on other people's tastes in music. You shone more brightly than the rest and we're not going to leave such jadedness unrewarded!

We're sending you to see a live performance of NAME PENDING, a band so cool and obscure they change their name every week. While there, you can look forward to BARKxBLEEP, their premiere sound which ALTERNATIVEBLOG calls "Twelve solid minutes of dogs barking to the sound of a delivery truck reversing."

We're also throwing in this douche garb for you to adorn yourself with and really get down with the sound:

b9vfl4b63ny5ujb66jRDMeoKo1_500.png

---

Seriously, don't just show up and shit on other people's music. Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

And come on, you can't post pop punk bullshit claiming it to be the best thing in the last 5 years and expect people not to explode in your face. I mean, are you serious?

And I'm hardly that fabled hipster sterotype you desperately want me to be, Scoop-o!

And come on, you can't post pop punk bullshit claiming it to be the best thing in the last 5 years and expect people not to explode in your face. I mean, are you serious?

And I'm hardly that fabled hipster sterotype you desperately want me to be, Scoop-o!

You're still pretty arrogant, dude. ;)

You're still pretty arrogant, dude. ;)

True. But then again I only really "attack" when people's taste sucks. Which abunds around here. I mean, Evanescence? What the flying fuck?

True. But then again I only really "attack" when people's taste sucks. Which abunds around here. I mean, Evanescence? What the flying fuck?

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg