NEurope
Rummy

GameFAQs Game of the Decade Daily Polls...

Who cares if Brawl is better than Melee? We all know a smear test is better than the GameFAQs daily poll competitions.

Ah ah, Metroid Prime vs Twilight Princess? Epic! :D

You're mistaken. Metroid Prime is going against Fallout 3. Twilight Princess will go against SSBB.

*sighs* It really should've been Mario Galaxy, there...

He's talking about the round after that. The winners of Fallout 3/Metroid Prime and Twilight Princess/SSBB will face eachother.

Ths poll is crap because my favourite game(s) was a) knocked out in round [x] or b) not even listed!

Sorry, but Twilight Princess being better than Mario Galaxy. Thats a damn lie to be fair.

Still, its a Gamefaqs survey. I find collonic irrigation much more entertaining and worth-while than a Gamefaq survey

WW > MM imo, I loved it, Majora's Mask was great, but WW I think was a perfect game during my childhood years to play. MM I played more recently and I just if I had played MM first it may have been different.

I agree with COD4 winning. It's better than Perfect Dark, both in single and multiplayer. As much as I love Perfect Dark.

Have I no friends left!?!? It's no use, you're all crazed!!! :o

Saturday. There's a new match every 12 hours.

Yeah, I've just spent 5 solid minutes thoroughly confused that yesterday has TWO results, but this would explain it. I wondered if they did different polls for different areas of the world but thought that'd be mighty strange.

Also I don't understand all this dislike towards gamefaqs polls, surely they're just polls for the people by the people? Well, maybe not quite that, but it's all voted for by...well, general people?

Golden Sun losing to Final Fantasy X is just so very wrong

I disagree, FFX is a much better game imo.

I don't think they expected Twilight Princess to get so far, otherwise they would have put it in with the other Zeldas. Knocking out Mario Galaxy and Kingdom Hearts, it's a loose cannon.

Also I don't understand all this dislike towards gamefaqs polls, surely they're just polls for the people by the people? Well, maybe not quite that, but it's all voted for by...well, general people?

Gamefaqs contests get bad rep because anything related to either Ocarina of Time or Final Fantasy 7 always wins the whole thing.

This is a contest that lacks both of these games, therefore I find it much more interesting.

Also, I weep for Final Fantasy IX :(

Also, I weep for Final Fantasy IX :(

I take it it's losing? Woop

Do you need an account to see the score?

I take it it's losing? Woop

Do you need an account to see the score?

No, you either vote or click "see results".

Why, you can't see them?

Sorry, but Twilight Princess being better than Mario Galaxy. Thats a damn lie to be fair.

I think they're both absolutely perfect. So it makes sense that Zelda won since it's more "popular".

Never really got the slight "dislike" for TP. (And don't give me smartass answers like it scratches my butt or whatever)

I think they're both absolutely perfect. So it makes sense that Zelda won since it's more "popular".

Never really got the slight "dislike" for TP. (And don't give me smartass answers like it scratches my butt or whatever)

For once I actually disagree quite strongly with you.

The problem I always had with it was the landscape being far bigger than it needed to be. That and the places you visited tend to lack personality somewhat - the towns I mean. I think it had one of the best dungeons of any Zelda game, but overall it just felt slightly soulless and tired compared to say, Majora's Mask.

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember feeling roughly that way 4 years ago. I should play it through again actually.

For once I actually disagree quite strongly with you.

The problem I always had with it was the landscape being far bigger than it needed to be. That and the places you visited tend to lack personality somewhat - the towns I mean. I think it had one of the best dungeons of any Zelda game, but overall it just felt slightly soulless and tired compared to say, Majora's Mask.

It's been a while since I played it, but I remember feeling roughly that way 4 years ago. I should play it through again actually.

I think it's just the fact that it's a new Zelda. We all love Zelda, and usually the ones you play earlier as a kid remain your favourites. That's probably the only reason Link To The Past is my favourite. Let's be honest here, as much as I absolutely love Zelda (and I really really do), they're all the same except for Majora's Mask and the Oracles (well and Zelda 2, but that doesn't count). There's the "epic" ones (OoT/TP/LTP type) and the gimmick ones (WW and it's offspring MC, ST, PH), so it's kind of obvious that they all "lack personality" in a sense.

However, I never really understood why so many people thought TP was uninspired. To me, it's the best Zelda game ever made. It's my second favourite and yes, I think it's better than OoT.

Soulless and tired???

I wanted to post that bit where you talk with the twilis in the twilight realm, but I can't find it... =/

I think it's just the fact that it's a new Zelda. We all love Zelda, and usually the ones you play earlier as a kid remain your favourites. That's probably the only reason Link To The Past is my favourite. Let's be honest here, as much as I absolutely love Zelda (and I really really do), they're all the same except for Majora's Mask and the Oracles (well and Zelda 2, but that doesn't count). There's the "epic" ones (OoT/TP/LTP type) and the gimmick ones (WW and it's offspring MC, ST, PH), so it's kind of obvious that they all "lack personality" in a sense.

However, I never really understood why so many people thought TP was uninspired. To me, it's the best Zelda game ever made. It's my second favourite and yes, I think it's better than OoT.

TP is uninspired for me because it essentially tries to be another Ocarina of Time, yet it doesn't actually take the Zelda formula any further while trying to do so. It's certainly still a great game but I just feel it could have been so much more.

Majora's Mask was truly groundbreaking and it's so disheartening to see that so few people think the same. It was like a discussion on here earlier in the year where people found WW better than MM. It just makes no sense to me, WW is such a mediocre Zelda game (in that it's still a good game, but it's pretty average when compared to others in the series).

Nintendo really need to go back and look at what made Majora's Mask so great and see how they can improve upon it. They'd have a game of the century of they did.

TP is uninspired for me because it essentially tries to be another Ocarina of Time, yet it doesn't actually take the Zelda formula any further while trying to do so.

How exactly did Ocarina of Time push the formula further from Link To The Past? And how does that make it any less perfect?

I think TP trumps OoT in pretty much everything. Story is better, aestethically better (not talking about graphics, obvs), better characters, action and puzzles are just as good, it's just as compelling. The soundtrack is a bit inferior, I'll grant you that much.

The fact is, most people are being anal about it because they were expecting it to be better than OoT, which is a ridiculously high level of hype. So... when it was just more of the same, people felt betrayed.

Personally, I belive that Twilight Princess>Link To The Past>Ocarina of Time.

Although when it comes to which ones I like the most, it's Link To The Past > Twilight Princess > Majora's Mask > Oracles = Ocarina.

But they're all 9.9's, either way, so it doesn't really matter.

How exactly did Ocarina of Time push the formula further from Link To The Past? And how does that make it any less perfect?

Well OoT brought Zelda into the 3D world! I think that's a pretty big change. From an atmospheric/cinematic viewpoint that's quite considerable. And the exchange between characters is much deeper (although it's quite basic when compared to modern standards).

And I'm not knocking Twilight Princess - as I said in my previous post, I think it's a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But the difference between it and Ocarina of Time isn't drastic enough for me - it's a big lifeless world, a similar structure in terms of dungeons, and a pretty emotionless adventure. I love Majora's Mask so much because it basically said fuck you to the the epic big quest against Ganondorf and instead focussed on intricate, dark and haunting relationships between Link and Termina's inhabitants. And the main quest was still pretty fucking epic.

But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed TP.

Well OoT brought Zelda into the 3D world! I think that's a pretty big change. From an atmospheric/cinematic viewpoint that's quite considerable. And the exchange between characters is much deeper (although it's quite basic when compared to modern standards).

In other words, nothing. 3D was mandatory by then, and as for character exchange, the game came out in 1998, come on.

And I'm not knocking Twilight Princess - as I said in my previous post, I think it's a great game and I thoroughly enjoyed it. But the difference between it and Ocarina of Time isn't drastic enough for me - it's a big lifeless world, a similar structure in terms of dungeons, and a pretty emotionless adventure. I love Majora's Mask so much because it basically said fuck you to the the epic big quest against Ganondorf and instead focussed on intricate, dark and haunting relationships between Link and Termina's inhabitants. And the main quest was still pretty fucking epic.

Fair enough. But I still think your obsessed about change. Yes, change is great and eventually a necessity. But so far, it's not something I find myself craving for, yet.

And I never understood why it's supposed to be a lifeless emotionless world. It's just as emotional and alive as Ocarina, even more so, to be honest. Again, I think you over hyped it.

What I always liked about Zelda is that it's not trying to be Shenmue and reinvent gaming. It's absolute vanilla. The world's tastiest vanilla. It uses whatevers conventions exist and just executes them to perfection!

Majora's Mask doesn't really count, it's the weird cousin, here.

But don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed TP.

You'd have to be soulless to not enjoy it. :p

In other words, nothing. 3D was mandatory by then, and as for character exchange, the game came out in 1998, come on.

Fair enough. But I still think your obsessed about change. Yes, change is great and eventually a necessity. But so far, it's not something I find myself craving for, yet.

And I never understood why it's supposed to be a lifeless emotionless world. It's just as emotional and alive as Ocarina, even more so, to be honest. Again, I think you over hyped it.

What I always liked about Zelda is that it's not trying to be Shenmue and reinvent gaming. It's absolute vanilla. The world's tastiest vanilla. It uses whatevers conventions exist and just executes them to perfection!

Majora's Mask doesn't really count, it's the weird cousin, here.

You'd have to be soulless to not enjoy it. :p

It's not about change really (I'm a very dedicated retro gamer) but rather, it comes back to Majora's Mask. That took Zelda in a new, and in my view, better direction. I admit it may not be for everyone but I speak my views as opinion and not fact. I love Ocarina of Time and I enjoyed Twilght Princess. But if Twilight Princess had been a culmination of what was great about OoT and MM then it would have been exceptional. I had absolutely no hype for TP (I had no intention of getting a Wii but received it Xmas 2006 as a surprise gift). Rather I was just expecting the series to have moved along more since. The visuals, sound, controls are always perfect in Zelda games. The story is also usually pretty solid. It's just that some elements of gameplay are always the same, and although I love that many things stay the same, other things need to change and be updated.

Again, that's why I love MM - it changed some key aspects but retained others and it worked beautifully. If they could do Zelda in the style of MM but on a much grander scale, it'd be something pretty special in my view.

And I don't really agree with your OoT/Link to the Past point. There is quite a considerable difference between them, much like how LttP differs from the original Zelda. But 3D Zeldas appear to have taken on this very samey structure. MM broke from the mould but they then reverted back to OoT style.

Ignore the last paragraph. At the time of writing I've had a lot to drink and so I'm finding myself making less sense by the minute. Point is, I love Majora's Mask. They should use that as their basis in future and not OoT.

P.S. I love you.

Point is, I love Majora's Mask. They should use that as their basis in future and not OoT.

We agree, then. I would much preffer more Majoraness than Ocariness (of which we've had plenty).

Come to think of it, Majora isn't even really a "Zelda" game. They should give it a spiritual successor and start a new IP around it.

I love you too, by the way.

We agree, then. I would much preffer more Majoraness than Ocariness (of which we've had plenty).

Come to think of it, Majora isn't even really a "Zelda" game. They should give it a spiritual successor and start a new IP around it.

I love you too, by the way.

Excellent! Thanks for the great discussion dude, it's been really good!

Shame i missed voting on this til now.

Melee and FF9 are both better than their sequels in my opinion, but FF9 didn't reallystand a chance against 10.

Does anyone know how close Melee vs Brawl was?

Of course, this all depends on what you mean. Brawl is better fanservice, just because of all the content contained within that little disk, but if you're talking about the actual game present under that mire of superfluous content that I got bored of within the first week, then Melee is a far far superior fighter.

Don't get me wrong, Goron 3 and I were so fucking excited when Brawl came out, but it was simplified to the extreme, stripped of all the things that made Melee one of the best fighting games around. Its like if they took cancelling and combos out of the sequels to Street Fighter 2, rather than develop on them even further.

I've talked about the concept of emergence; how a simple set of rules can lead to a great deal of complex possibilites, and this was most definitely the case in Melee, and was dumbed down in Brawl, so you couldn't really combine the elements for greater nuance of play.

The creator of the game, as well as the hardcore community that developed around the series all agree that Melee is a far superior game. Hell, I play Melee with my mates whenever I go home to Manchester, yet Brawl has been sitting there gathering dust for a couple of years. No depth at all.

I never mastered any of the pr0 techniques in brawl or melee, but I think you could've summed up your post with one word.

Tripping.

Also, that melee vid is sick, especially enjoyed Falco's casting down of Fox with that menacing heal kick to the face.

Also:

Fallout 3 vs Metroid Prime.

Well shit. They're my favourites.

Shame i missed voting on this til now.

Melee and FF9 are both better than their sequels in my opinion, but FF9 didn't reallystand a chance against 10.

Does anyone know how close Melee vs Brawl was?

Brawl won by roughly 1000 votes.

Also, Resi 4 is beating Portal. I confess I didn't expect that one, but at least I won't be pissed at the result like I was with TP vs. SMG.