NEurope
Happenstance

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

I find it incredibly funny that, in his rant about "cinematic experience" Vs "gameplay" he mentions the Call of Duty franchise on the complete wrong side. You could barely move five metres in Blops without triggering a cutscene of some kind.

BLOPS was awful. Overly long cutscenes as well. Also too many in first person moments where you have no control for far too long. Scripts mean nothing to me if the game is painful to play. There were many painful issues such as AI less aimbot enemies and unlimited spawning etc.

Compared to the COD series in general Uncharted is much better to play and more complex at the time. I just dont get any satisfaction from the gameplay side of COD single player games. There was some decent character buidling in MW1(for a fps story) but they threw that out of the window pretty quickly.

Edited by Choze

That's a brilliant little article.

That article is fantastic! I didn't realise this controversy had arisen. I read the review when it went up and thought fair enough good point. It does offer what he said and makes the admissions that he cited. So if he is going to mark it down for that then fair enough.

I only found the Eurogamer review odd insofar as the majority of it was spent explaining why the reviewer didn't like the style of Uncharted's singleplayer rather than actually telling me whether the game was a success or not. If you don't like those malleable cinematic moments then that's fair enough, but I feel you should review games on their own terms: by all accounts the game nails what it was trying to achieve, so making your dislike of that aspect the entire focus of the review seems a bit like spending several paragraphs of a CoD article complaining that it makes you shoot people.

The way I see it those cinematic moments are just more interesting realisations of sections that every other game relegates to either QTE or cutscene. Yes they are smoke and mirrors to an extent, but I don't think that's important so long as the illusion holds.

I only found the Eurogamer review odd insofar as the majority of it was spent explaining why the reviewer didn't like the style of Uncharted's singleplayer rather than actually telling me whether the game was a success or not. If you don't like those malleable cinematic moments then that's fair enough, but I feel you should review games on their own terms: by all accounts the game nails what it was trying to achieve, so making your dislike of that aspect the entire focus of the review seems a bit like spending several paragraphs of a CoD article complaining that it makes you shoot people.

The way I see it those cinematic moments are just more interesting realisations of sections that every other game relegates to either QTE or cutscene. Yes they are smoke and mirrors to an extent, but I don't think that's important so long as the illusion holds.

Arguably every time you fail the illusion is broken?

My problem is mostly consistency. Eurogamer gave Mass Effect 2 a 10. And it isn't. Its structure is so horrendously poor its laughable. I'm all for being critical. But when Mass Effect gets a 10. Brink gets and 8. EDF: Insect Armageddon gets and 8. Wolverine: Origins gets a GODDAMN 5!! People quite justifiably get irritated.

At least have a second opinion. I know Nintendo Official Mag used to have one years ago.

As far as I'm concerned, the industry still hasn't caught up with Uncharted 2.

Arguably every time you fail the illusion is broken?

The review was complaining that the game assists the player too much during the cinematic moments, though. I know that Naughty Dog have put a lot of effort into tuning things so that player's have a good chance of success the moment they're thrown into the more hectic scenarios, but the review doesn't talk about whether they were successful or not, merely baulking at the idea that you don't get full control during situations which tend to be entirely non-interactive during other games.

I'd rather have some control than none, for consistency's sake if nothing else.

Just had some classy games with Daft and we befriended Kayay/Kayayy/Kayyay. We ruled the world together.

The review was complaining that the game assists the player too much during the cinematic moments, though. I know that Naughty Dog have put a lot of effort into tuning things so that player's have a good chance of success the moment they're thrown into the more hectic scenarios, but the review doesn't talk about whether they were successful or not, merely baulking at the idea that you don't get full control during situations which tend to be entirely non-interactive during other games.

I'd rather have some control than none, for consistency's sake if nothing else.

Well then if they are merely to replace cut scenes for cinematic moments in order to preserve that cinematic "perfection" surely there shouldn't be a fail state? It should be tightly choreographed to an extent where you can't fail. If they truly want these moments to look fantastic in a way that they can't in normal gameplay then go full hog on the guiding nature and not just give me a good chance of success. However that then does draw the question about whether we need them at all....

For me the serene scene in the village in Uncharted 2 where you were just wandering around and Nathan was making quips about what he saw pushed narrative and immersion in a unique way that matter far more to me than for example the guided chase scenes.

You play these parts to give you a sense of ownership over the character and the story. If you can't fail, it is a cut scene.

We do need them because it's not a case of one or the other. That scene in the village, that kind of interaction only works there (although Drake does make comments about his surrounding through the whole game - ultimately it's not something that can drive the story). The opening where you climb up the train, that could have just been a cutscene (in any other game it would have), instead it's used to set the tone and give the story weight. For me it's one of the most memorable opening to a game ever.

Exactly.

"Whats the opening level to Uncharted 2?"

You're hanging off the edge of a train in an icey mountain.

"Whats the opening to Modern Warfare 2?"

Probably.....some kind of....army....man....

Brick was beyond shitty. That beta lol. If only people here played that beta.

Anyone up for a session tonight?

I can't speak for Rez, but I'm going to. Yes, we are.

I got a message off of shopto saying copies will be sent via Royal Mail on monday so hopefully we should get it on Tuesday. Hope you havent chose TNT shipping as that wont ship until Tuesday.

I got a message off of shopto saying copies will be sent via Royal Mail on monday so hopefully we should get it on Tuesday. Hope you havent chose TNT shipping as that wont ship until Tuesday.

I got an email a week or so ago from Game saying the release date had changed to the 1st. Although I've also had loads of email that the price had changed to £44.99 and then £47.99.

Anyone up for a session tonight?

YES! Although I may be without mic if I have to multi task and skype with my girlfriend at the same time!

Ahah, my game just got dispatched today!!! I love that Amazon fear it won't be here on time since it's a different country, and since they absolutely must deliver it by the time it comes out, it always means everytime I preorder something from there I always get it 1/2/3 days early. So I'll probably have it on monday morning! Fuck yeah!

Anyone/everyone up for some online tonight?

Like at 6:30?

Count me in.

Daft, do you know why we were put on separate teams when ReZ left? We were still in the same party (the "Mute All" worked like it was supposed to i.e. not muting you).

My team lost but I believe I killed you more than you killed me - which is a much more important win.