NEurope
MoogleViper

Mobile phones and texting rant

Well I get invited out by my friend. So there's me, her and another friend (who I also know and am friends with). But they just spend the whole night just texting their boyfriends. So for most of the time I'm in the union just basically dancing on my own whilst they're stood their texting away. Now I consider this incredibly rude and am pretty pissed off right now. I'm a very thoughtful friend and will do just about anything for my friends (this morning I went dress shopping with said friend). So I find it very fucking disgusting that she invites me out and then essentially ignores me right in my fucking face. I absolutely hate it. If you want to spend the night texting your boyfriend then stay in. Certainly don't invite me out and then leave me standing on the middle of the dance-floor like a mong.

I also hate it when you're with your friends and they spend the whole time on facebook on their mobiles. YOU'RE WITH YOUR FRIENDS FACE TO FACE RIGHT NOW, WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU WANT TO GO ON FACEBOOK YOU IGNORANT CUNTS!!!

I've never understood the whole facebook / text phenomena but my sister is always glued to her phone and the computer (either MSN or facebook), often texting while online. She ignores everyone directly around her, and you have to repeat yourself or yell just to get a grunt of acknowledgement from her, and even then she doesn't take in what you've actually said as she never remembers later.

She rarely acknowledges anyone else in the house as she's always glued to a keyboard, then last week she got all stroppy with me telling me I never talk to her. Right...

Mobile Network Providings Rantsings.

I agree, but it shouldn't be use you're telling this to. Tell them.

Or at least give them the link on their Facebook page, then they can read it on their phone on the go!

Just be righteous. Tell them, like I do to my friends, that you have a personal rule to not answer or use my phone when I'm talking to someone. They'll feel guilty after a while. But yeah, here you see the consequences of the fact that a lot of people's social lives are now primarily mediated through the internet..

I hear what you're saying and going to raise you with:

I hate it when you're talking to a girl (one you know, not chatting up) and every other word that comes out her mouth is "my boyfriend this", "my boyfriend" that. OK, we get the picture, you have a boyfriend! You dont need to tell us every 2 seconds!

These are the sort of people who would be destroyed if things went tits up and they split up.

I hear what you're saying and going to raise you with:

I hate it when you're talking to a girl (one you know, not chatting up) and every other word that comes out her mouth is "my boyfriend this", "my boyfriend" that. OK, we get the picture, you have a boyfriend! You dont need to tell us every 2 seconds!

These are the sort of people who would be destroyed if things went tits up and they split up.

I KNOW! I've had so many experiences with this. Every little thing you talk about, the answer's always something to do with her boyfriend. It gets irritating after a while.

But Moogle, I can relate. I have a friend who's addicted to Facebook and Tagged and checks his mobile and I'm talking to him while he's looking at his phone. I said "You know there's a rat under your feet?", I just get a "Right, that's cool" so I got up and was about to walk out the door and he looked at me and I just said "I'm not going to sit there and speak to you while you're on your mobile instead of speaking to me. I walked down here to see you, have some manners and speak to me you twat!" and in the end, he became apologetic and everything was normal. I wouldn't normally do this but that day just wasn't my day at all, lmao. However, it worked, maybe you need to be strict with your friends too because that's just rude and ignorant.

I suspect I may have to put up with a lot of that in a few weeks. I'm going out with some old friends from school (who just happen to be girls) and they all now have boyfriends who won't be there.

I admit that I was responsible for checking my phone a few times while I was out on Friday night at my work's do (actually, I checked out a few topics on here). But that was due to how embarrassing my boss was. We were eating curry in a restaurant , he spilt a load on himself and pretended that the employee next to him (thankfully, it wasn't me) had done it so my boss poured half the food on the plate next to him on his employee. They then proceeded to have a mini food fight.

Needless to say, I really wanted to distance myself from that. As I'd already finished eating, my phone was my only option.

My friends are quite notorious for doing this, I went out with two female friends and one of theirs boyfriends and I spent most of the time joking with the boyfriend that it was probably easier to get their attention on facebook.

With that sort of thing I don't mind, but because of my friends now have blackberrys, me included, my friends always seem to prefer chatting to me through bbm or facebook when I'd rather call or text them directly to get an answer.

I've had my phone off for two days because I just can't be arsed to put up with it.

I have a shit phone and I hate facebook chat and I don't have enough friends to ever be one of those annoying people. I only know one person who is on facebook while with a group of us and she constantly gets verbal abuse for it. It's reached in-joke level, I guess.

It annoys me when people check their phone while we're talking. It interrupts my flow of thinking because I pause to go "oh so they don't want to listen" then I have a mini crisis and go "nobody ever really wants to listen, for all I know. Perhaps I'm always boring everyone, which is why I'm at home so much. I'm boring this person right now! I should stop talking. Stop talking and go home. Go home and go on my computer where I have the safety of a keyboard to filter my speech, where there's no bother if people don't respond."

Sometimes I check my phone when I'm bored of other people, y'see, so they must do it too. Doesn't that annoy you? When people natter on and on, even though you're giving the polite, subtle body language that you are bored, while you scream on the inside "SHUT THE FUCK UPPPP"

Aaand again I'm getting that thought.

I'm addicted to the internet but now mobile phones. I mean I was YEARS ago.

Personally I don't understand people who buy phones who do all these multipurpose shit. I just like a phone that can make calls and text. Because I have a shitty phone, I also have great piece of mind. If it gets stolen or lost I don't give a shit.

The AMOUNT of people who go out and buy iphone4s and lose them is sickening to me.

I'm addicted to the internet but now mobile phones. I mean I was YEARS ago.

Personally I don't understand people who buy phones who do all these multipurpose shit. I just like a phone that can make calls and text. Because I have a shitty phone, I also have great piece of mind. If it gets stolen or lost I don't give a shit.

The AMOUNT of people who go out and buy iphone4s and lose them is sickening to me.

I love my iPhone and would find it difficult to be without a smartphone now. Being able to check my emails on the go is fantastic, i get my work calendar automatically downloaded from Gmail to my phone so I can see exactly where and when I'm meant to be somewhere without having to phone up.

I can also easily check train times, check the news whilst on a train, waste some time on facebook or even just browse the Internet. My iPhone also couples as my music player as the iPod on it works really well. One device with me rather than 2.

I know people who used to be like you until they got a smartphone and they're all converted now and absolutely love them. The functionality of these devices is incredible and they can do some really powerful things.

Also texting on an iPhone (and most other smart phones these days) beats teting on an old shitty phone because of threaded texts. Every text I've sent and received from someone in the same window is bloody amazing.

I can't imagine ever need one. I don't travel on public transport. And I've survived so far without the need for the internet in my pocket.

My phone's only special feature is that I guess I could use it as a (fairly poor) mp3 player. Only it has space for like...5 songs. It phones and texts, and has a shit camera.

I check my phone on night out for texts/calls, and sometimes text people, but not while other people are talking to me.

I've had my phone off for two days because I just can't be arsed to put up with it.

Don't lie. You lost your charger.

:p

I like my phone a blackberry, but i try not to use it too much when im out, texting the missus once in a while, one mate of mine was sat actually playing that fucking paper toss game on his phone, oh jeeez are we boring you mista.

I love my iPhone and would find it difficult to be without a smartphone now. Being able to check my emails on the go is fantastic, i get my work calendar automatically downloaded from Gmail to my phone so I can see exactly where and when I'm meant to be somewhere without having to phone up.

I can also easily check train times, check the news whilst on a train, waste some time on facebook or even just browse the Internet. My iPhone also couples as my music player as the iPod on it works really well. One device with me rather than 2.

I know people who used to be like you until they got a smartphone and they're all converted now and absolutely love them. The functionality of these devices is incredible and they can do some really powerful things.

Also texting on an iPhone (and most other smart phones these days) beats teting on an old shitty phone because of threaded texts. Every text I've sent and received from someone in the same window is bloody amazing.

I completely agree to all these words (well, replace "iPhone" with "HTC Hero").

Everything is extremely convenient on a smartphone. It's easy to keep in touch with everything and is great for organising stuff.

I hate people who do this, really ignorant indeed. I've been invited out with mates, only for some of them to keep going on FB and Twitter and consistently texting/calling others. We were buying rounds, so when it was my turn they were ignoring me with their phones as such so i just bought my own. Not my fault if they don't want to respond to me asking what they would like to drink.

I am fortunate to have friends who are sociable with those who are present, rather than those who are not.

Although it bugs me when people write text messages while watching something, because I know they're going to shortly ask me what they missed.

YES. ^

Texting/reading while a film is on. UGH. No. It's disgusting.

I get annoyed with people glued to their phones, too...the "old-fashioned" way of switching off your phone (or at least putting it on silent) on dates/outings with friends should be brought back. Basically you should not be thumbing your phone all of the time, it should only be brought out if you get a call that is possibly urgent, or to take a picture. Messages can wait. Fortunately I find it easy to give people my full attention because I don't have a smartphone.

Semi related but i used to love my 3 smoke breaks at work. Really the only chance to relax and socialize with co workers .

Now my breaks consist of me awkwardly smoking amongst a pack of text/facebook zombies.

Keep in my mind i work 11 pm-7am. Who the hell is even awake at that hour to text to begin with??