NEurope
Dog-amoto

World Cup 2018/2022

So, the decision will be made tomorrow just after 3. Be cool if England gets it, but I can't see us getting the Olympics and the World Cup within 6 years, but stranger things have happened I suppose. It'll likely go to Russia for 2018 and probably Qatar for 2022.

So, the bidders:

2018 bid

Belgium and the Netherlands

Neither country has hosted, but they jointly hosted Euro 2000

England

Last hosted in 1966 (duh)

Russia

Never hosted

Portugal and Spain

Portugal hosted Euro 2004, and Spain did the World Cup in 1982

2022 bid

Australia

Never hosted

USA

Last hosted in 1994

Japan

Co-hosted with South Korea in 2002

Qatar

The World Cup has never been staged in an Arab country before

South Korea

Co-hosted with Japan in 2002

Don't think I like the idea of it being in Oz and having to stay up till 4am to watch matches!

Edited by Dog-amoto

England/Russia should be faves, surely? I mean the others hosted teh euros more recently than us. Would be weird to see south korea/japan get the 2022 bit after they had hosted it jointly so recently. I think qatar would be a ridiculous move that would be wholely money-driven. It probably makes the most sense to have it in US again... but ofc in all fairness surely Oz get it!

It's a farce if we don't get it. Joint bids are a joke and the Russian's haven't got the facilities we've already got.

I would go for Russia and Qatar too. Though I do hope England gets it. If soccer had really taken off in America as it was hoped it would with Beckham going to the States, then I would have said USA for 2022. FIFA don't really like joint bids so I don't think Spain/Portugal would get it.

Personally, I think I'd like to see the USA get it... sorry England. :woops:

but ofc in all fairness surely Oz get it!

I read something earlier (was it on guardian.co.uk...?) that said Oz probably won't get it because that would rule out somewhere else in Asia hosting the World Cup soon, and apparently China is the darling of Sepp Blatter.

It's a farce if we don't get it. Joint bids are a joke and the Russian's haven't got the facilities we've already got.

I would say that's the English media's superiority complex coming through again. There's no reason why somewhere like Russia shouldn't host it and saying joint bids are a joke isn't really that great seeing as 2002 went really well.

Why the hell so South Korea/Japan have a bid in? They had it in 2002.

Pointing out the obvious, by 2022 it will be 20 years on.

Personally, I think I'd like to see the USA get it... sorry England. :woops:

England (2018) and USA (2022) aren't competing for the same tournament

I read something earlier (was it on guardian.co.uk...?) that said Oz probably won't get it because that would rule out somewhere else in Asia hosting the World Cup soon, and apparently China is the darling of Sepp Blatter.

Yeah I think you are right there. There's talk of China putting in a bid for 2026

I would go for Russia and Qatar too. Though I do hope England gets it. If soccer had really taken off in America as it was hoped it would with Beckham going to the States, then I would have said USA for 2022. FIFA don't really like joint bids so I don't think Spain/Portugal would get it.

USA had the World Cup in '94, it was shit, part of the major problem was the distances teams had to travel between matches. Which had a part in hampering the career of Dennis Bergkamp.

If Qatar gets the World Cup then its a joke as well, a country that farms old players by throwing ridiculous money at them. I'm fed up of countries who couldn't care less about the sport but want to host the biggest competition just for the money.

I would say that's the English media's superiority complex coming through again. There's no reason why somewhere like Russia shouldn't host it and saying joint bids are a joke isn't really that great seeing as 2002 went really well.

Russia's stadiums falling apart is a problem, artificial pitches etc.

Joint bids are a joke its like having a house party but asking your neighbour if you could borrow their property because you've not got enough room.

Edited by Ramar

Which means there will have only been 4 world cups between them.

There's more than 5 nations in it.

Which means there will have only been 4 world cups between them.

There's more than 5 nations in it.

Mexico held it in 1970 and then again in 1986, but that was only because Columbia was originally chosen only to pull out 4 years before for economic reasons.

I think the closest one other than that was Germany in 1974 and 2006

I think it's a joke how they're having the bids for 2022 now, 12 years in advance.

That above anything has created the situation where people will be trading votes eg. Qatar voting for Spain and then Spain voting for Qatar.

Sure, people on the executive committee would still be biased, but it wouldn't be as exaggerated as it will be now.

Edited by Mr-Paul

Those bids are horrible un-balanced. All four bids for 2018 are in with a decent shout and would all hold great World Cup games, imo.

Yet, 2022 is quite poor. I can't honestly look at any of those and get excited. Yeah, 2002 was amazing, but as Moogle points out, only 5 World Cups have passed since then. Not an awful lot.

I'd be chuffed if England got it, but part of me thinks that Spain and Portugal will. Either way, 2018 should be a brilliant World Cup year. Imagine if Belgium and the Netherlands got that. I'd drag Ine along to some of those games if I was there!

England (2018) and USA (2022) aren't competing for the same tournament

Thats what I get for not properly looking at the OP and getting brainwashed by all the "England versus the world" hype from the media. :blush:

Russia all the way... sorry England. :heh:

Be cool if England gets it, but I can't see us getting the Olympics and the World Cup within 6 years, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Yeah, imagine if the same country hosted the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics. That would be wild...

Spain/Portugal definitely ranks high in the awesomeness factor. Plus, the suckiness is definitely lacking in every area. Or at so we all assume *sharpens knife* Right?

In all seriousness, Russia getting it in 2018 would be rad. Australia for 2022, too. Odd that they're choosing 2022 so soon, I thought they would only choose 2018.

How mad!!

Brazil '14

Rio '16

Do you honestly think so lowly of me? Do we need smilies for the obvious jokes?

I'm disappointed with you, Ramar.

Do you honestly think so lowly of me? Do we need smilies for the obvious jokes?

I'm disappointed with you, Ramar.

Smilies help, cheers.

I want it to be anywhere but the UK. The Olympics is already way too much.

I'd rather have the world cup in England than the Olympics. But seeing as we already have the Olympics, I guess we'll have to have both.

I mean come on, we have at least 5 grounds which are world high class/have enough seats to host it, and I'm being harsh. If you count the 10 or so others that could also be used and expanded then we can easily manage it.

Plus I want to go to a goddam world cup match :)

The Olympics are pretty much solely in London, the World Cup is all around the country.

And we pretty much have everything ready to host a World Cup so won't have as much of the funding issues and problem of building lots of new facilities.

Yeah, imagine if the same country hosted the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics. That would be wild...

Oh yeah! :blush:

The Olympics are pretty much solely in London, the World Cup is all around the country.

And we pretty much have everything ready to host a World Cup so won't have as much of the funding issues and problem of building lots of new facilities.

That's a pretty good way of looking at it.

I think England wouldn't have too much trouble hosting a World Cup. Although, it does mean that the country would be insanely full of tourists, though. Oh wai-

:heh:

I'm not a massive football fanatic so I won't be devastated if another nation gets it, but I'd love to see the World Cup in England, I'd imagine the atmosphere would be fantastic.

On a related note, I recently read something about Japan developing fricking hologram technology to aid with their World Cup bid.

Yep. They had the blokey from Sony there to talk about it. They would install it at 400 stadiums around the world so more people can "be at the game."