N-Europe

What's new?

jayseven

PHILO TIME!

Wobbly World.

I fucking love this video. Makes me forget about the maze our forefathers built around our lives. Makes me free from the box I was born in.

Let's not delve too deep into the vid just yet. The one portion of that clip that I want to consider with you lot is the part where he talks about how we look but don't see.

What do you overlook?

In my room there's this double-pack of shirts I bought approx. 20 mins before I found out I wasn't needed for a 2nd interview for a job. I've leant them against my "wardrobe" (you can see it through my legs, kinda) that I literally didn't notice was there, despite passing it hundreds of times.

I don't know where this thread goes. I really needed to share teh video. But if you have something you want to share, then feel free :)

JAYSEVEN IS IN HIPPYMODE OMG

I overlook the mess in my room every.. single... day.. harhar. :D

I think that I'm a bit too observant sometimes, like I can't just... not notice things. I have to be purposely IGNORING stuff for it to go away. Somewhat autistic I suppose? I have to put things completely out of sight to forget about them. Its like my brain never switches off. Its useful to remember things but its completely crap when you need a mindturnoffbreak!

Nice thread idea bytheway!

Most of what he said didn't really seem that ... groundbreaking to me. He's definitely right, but there weren't really any revelations in it.

Coincidentally, I read something the other day about how the human brain is extremely unattentive to details and actually fills holes out itself. Like if you take a quick glance at a room, you might not have the faintest idea what's actually in there. But the brain will fill the room with stuff based on what it expects to find. Thus you're likely to completely miss something out of the ordinary because your brain can't be arsed noticing it, instead just painting a general picture of the room as it perceives it, be it messy, tidy, etc.

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Our function as living things isn't really too difficult to realise unless you want to confuse things. Does anybody else get annoyed when somebody asks for the definition of a word we all understand?

Fundamentally disagree with this (as a mathematician). Things need to be picked apart and defined.

Look at the writings of Marx. He totally revolutionised political thought by stripping the workings of society down to the concept of labour, and then building up from that.

Sounds like a load of nonsense to me. Our function as living things isn't really too difficult to realise unless you want to confuse things. Does anybody else get annoyed when somebody asks for the definition of a word we all understand?

Especially when they look all smug and then start reciting some overcomplicated shit they just read by this totally cool intellectual because it makes them all smart and stuff.

I just largely described my older brother.

I should not be annoyed by this.

But, similarly, Marx is a dickhead.

Maybe, but Kapital contextualised {in a period where working class people had no argument against their exploitative factory owners other than "What you're doing is wrong!!!"} is an absolute tour-de-force, and has heavily influenced political thought since, be it flawed or not.

(Set brackets to help make this read coherently.)

While we now have an 'open floor' arena, we are merely controlled more efficiently as a workforce. The lower rungs of the workforce go home relieved and proud of a hard day's work, pleased to earn their Man thousands of percentiles more money than they are actually paid. I cannot dispute Marx's effects on how things work, but I do not agree that they work in the favour of mankind.

And we best not forget his prediction of capitalism's downfall! This way of society is a means to an end, and not a self-replicating, endless machine of productivity that we pretend it is. It is easy to forget that new generations are born under tutilage rather than immediate exposure, and as such we have constructed a conveyor belt of production that relies on itself. We have cultures shaped to further this model that ignores some crucial facts of the earth that we live on... And there's no quick fix! Modern philosophy should be obsessed with combatting this, We should be seeking a mother-nature model to aim towards... But our current clime is destined to at least drag itself on for another 50 years before we consider other ways of life.

I just find it astonishing how readily people reject any alternative lifestyle, as if we've always been this way, when we've not. Technology advances our society, but at the same time the advances are focused, currently, on the consumerist way. We are driven to consume because, apparently, to not do so is to go against what this society is about. Why are we so devoid of greater goals!?!

I just find it astonishing how readily people reject any alternative lifestyle, as if we've always been this way, when we've not.

Ditto. Ditto, fucking ditto.

I grow tired of having to defend myself against the "corruption of ancient family values" bullshit that gets thrown at LGBT people. What the fuck are you talking about? The nuclear family was created in the industrial revolution to make people into mobile breeding units. The mere concept of the disownment of LGBT children is enough of an affront against the fundamental human value of love to debunk any argument of that sort.

That's a niche example, which perhaps ignores the broader meaning of what you mean by alternative lifestyle, but the point you raise is so universal.

I readily do get the point. Society is more than just marxist money, society is the highest endeavour that mankind has created! Our affluence of lifestypes that are only available because we've followed commericial existences this long are by no means the end of it all. politics are quick to swallow inperative notions of genetical imperatives - quick to decides that life is merely a means to earn money.

We do not exist to endure! We exist to experience. Ultimately we can just die and be done with it. What we make of it is through the connections and the constructions. We are immeasurable in our achievements because we continuouslythink. We evolve. My argument is that we need to achieve a level of excellene that is not measured in dollars or euros, but in terms that make humanistic sense! And what is so provocative about that? As a society we all live and work to ensure we are all 'happy' and safe, yet we do not questionthe evalations of happiness or safety. Our governments go to war regardless of whether we agree and they determine what is a veblen good or not.

Did you know that it takes four-to-six indoor ferns to provide you oxigen for life? Did you know that oxigen has a taste? No, because you are taught not to need to know. Instead you (and I) are taught that what we need to know. It really doesn't take a genius to notice the discrepancies between what we are told by governments and what is reality. We all believe we are living in the future! We look at logs of the past and see it as humourous and archaic... but they were still people that endured times without the internet. Without tv! Phones, computergames. Go beyond that we had people without the telegraph, without plastic! without a clue as to how science or bacteria worked. We had kings and queens refusing to eat tomatoes because of their "obviously devilish texture!"

To be honest, gay people and whatever various fetishes humankind has... It should just be on the backburner. We have INTELLIGENCE. Why is that so hard to be amazed by!

BORED OF TYPING NOW.

Lol I spelt impartive wrong. etc.

We have INTELLIGENCE. Why is that so hard to be amazed by!

We have the intelligence needed to be human. Didn't intelligence evolve for the same reason as eyes, bones n etc? It is not some magical thing in a wiggly world.. We like and dislike things as a product of nature and what proves successful. If you want to change humans, where is the environmental need? If there was a need, wouldn't we change ourselves rather than being told what to do by a dictator playing god and then getting it wrong?

Are we even capable of change? If you want humans to change, you are not the one who will change because your dna is not going to change over night. It is offspring that changes compared to us and these changes are governed by our environment. We should realise that.. If you want to change the world to the way you like it today, the only solution would be to kill everybody you don't agree with because that is just your ideal and the way you are and not how everybody else is.

We are at the point where we are in control of our environment to the extent where we are matching it to us. We are only forced to adapt, really, with technological advancements. If we are able to control and manage our environment (which we are not fully, hence 'sustainability' being a goal) then why not aim for greater things? We are able to change within ourlifetimes - we do change, when severe emotional situations arise, or, more occurrant, when general wealth is altered. The control of either change is both your own and your environment's. If we cannot change our environment or our society without breeding a new generation first, explain revolutions.

Where is the need for change? Well, the idea is taht we are not perfect, that we are not as good as we can be. Sure, that's always shifting in environmental terms but in moral and philosophical terms surely it's understandable? We have large societies (countries) spending enough money on weapons and defense that could cure world hunger, revitalise terrains to grow crops and invest in scientific research. We already live with a 'dictator' -- we have heirarchy in society. We are governed, how is that not similar? Governed sounds nicer than dictated, sure, but the point is that in both systems the final word is elsewhere.

There's more to intelligence than just dna. We aren't born able to wipe our own arses or hold down a conersation, let alone construct buildings, operate a keyboard. We learn. That is what our capacity of intelligence is. We learn constantly, unavoidably. Of course we can change. The change isn't physical - it's psychological, philosophical, moral. And it can't happen without people at least believing it can.