N-Europe

Caprica (TV Show)

Mokong

Ok firstly sorry for starting the a new thread... I'm fairly certain there was already a thread for this, but I just spent a half hour looking and can't find it.

I used the search function and it only brings up threads about BSG or other shows...I went through the Gen Chit Chat pages one by one and still nothing.

So if someone just gives me the link to the original I'll merge this into it, cheers.

Anyway reason I wanted to post this.

I know the show has been cancelled (BOOO) by SyFy in the US, with 5 eps left (14 - 18) to air which they plan to do next year. But I just found out that Canadian channel Space has continued to show the remaining eps.

I've just watched 14 - 17 (final ep next week) and have really enjoyed it. One ep even had a reference to the Doc Cottel from BSG (just a quick mention of name, it was either a really younger him or his father maybe). And it's gotten pretty exciting too as it comes to it's end.

The bitch though is you can tell it's gonna end with a set up for a 2nd season. You can see they are sowing the seeds for the Cylon revolt but it's not gonna happen at the end of this season.

At the end of ep17 the idea of "Skinjobs" was even born already.

Also at the end of ep17, young William gets shot.... you think "well we know he'll live because of BSG" but oddly.. he does actually appear to be dead with Sam seemingly giving up and not trying to get any help .... WTF????

Hopefully with the new spin-off, BSG: Blood and Chrome, in the works that starts by filling in the gap from after Caprica ends and shows the begining of the first Cylon War which is what I was looking forward to seeing.

Damn you SyFy, Caprica was a bloody good show. If they hadn't dicked around with such a long mid-season maybe the viewer fingures would have stayed above 1million :heh:

Just watched the final episode.

Was really really good. Lots of excitement and tension throughout.

Plus it even ended in a way that kinda works as a complete finale but it was still likely shot with the hopes of a 2nd season, but maybe they had a feeling they might get cancelled and covered their bases.

Throughout the whole ep whenever a scene with the Adamas came up I was just going "WTF is going on?". As it progressed it became certain young William was indeed dead. "But how can that be... if he's dead how does he do what he does in BSG?"

Very confusing, was worried for a moment they were gonna destroy everything and make out it was an alt universe or something.

But then at the end they reveal Joseph has another soon afterwards and names him after his first son :heh: Didn't really see the point in that given we were lead to believe from the begining that William was the William/Bill Adama we knew from BSG. They obviously just wanted to mess with some heads for that last ep.

One thing I didn't like about the ep though was Danial finding Clarices Holoband at the park. It was just lying there all along? So who shot Durham and how did they not find the Holoband? Although I guess you could assume they didn't know he had it (as Clarice herself was unaware at that point that it was missing) and just didn't look for it. But still it was a little "oh hey, here it is" that any passer by might have just picked it up.

Seeing the Cylons at the stadium was awesome. I was wondering what the hell Daniel was planning to do with them. I was thinking maybe he'd use them to pretend to attack the crowd and try get everyone to leave. Pinpoint sniper shots hadn't occourd to me.

And seeing Zoe find the VR Heaven and going "I'M GOD" on it and destroying it was awesome. Though disappointed they left Clarice alive. LIked the jesus reference in that though "If just one man could be ressurected it would change the world".

I still fail to see how she expected people to take her virtual heaven as the real thing and "Gods work" though. Anyone living person maybe be able to visit (like Clarice did) and it would be dependent on proper maintence of the server equipment. Anything happened to those and no more heaven :heh: Loved how Zoe told her off though, that was perfect.

The ending then, as I said works well as a final ever episode. You could see the seeds are sown for the Cylons to revolt and I guess since we already know they do we don't really have to see it happen (but I bloody well still want to).

What I don't get about the ending however is how Clarice was allowed to preach to the Cylons... was that a real world chapel or a VR place? How come she was not arrested? Or is she on the run living in the shadows? And how did she get the idea to preach God to the Cylons and make friends? Afterall they are the reason her stadium bloodbath never happened. And why would she care about the Cylons being turned into slaves anyway? It's like she orchastrated the intial Cylon Uprising, which I don't like the idea of as it was meant to be something they did themsleves.

Was pretty awesome seeing her go to try visit the "Blessed Mother" to find out that it was now Lacey, was wondering what happened to her as she was not seen through the episode. But again disappointed that Lacey didn't have Clarice killed. Though I could understand how Lacey would have thought teaching the Cylons about God would be a good thing given her past experiences with Cylon Zoe and the Cylons at her camp.

And then the end with Daniel and Amanda creating a Cylon Skinjob for Zoe, was really chilling. But that just brings up more questions. Like towards the end of the first Cylon War the Cylons were trying to create their own Skinjobs.... if the Greystones already perfected that technology how come the Cylons couldn't do it? How come it took the arrival of the "Five" to give them that tech?

And with Zoe appearing at one of Clarices masses for the Cylons it makes it seem like Zoe would sympethise with them and since she helped Daniel make the Skinjob again how come the Cylons couldn't do it themsleves in the first war? Plus that is basically resurrection technology too.

I think they should have had Tamara appear at the mass instead of Zoe. Firstly because she was non-exsistant through the whole ep which was weird. What happened to her? Zoe just abandoned her alone in V-World while Zoe gets a Skinjob? Had it been Tamara that was going to the Cylon Masses that might have made more sense. As if she was pissed at Zoe for leaving her and wanted revenege she aligns herself with Clarice to help the Cylons plan their uprising.

Pretty good ender, but still wish they could have a 2nd season to tie up some loose ends and bring things all the way to the begining of the war and see exactly what role each person plays in it given what we are shown at the end.

Again maybe if/when BSG: Blood & Chrome gets made it will start in a way to fill that gap in.

Though just thinking about BSG:B&C now... how could it end?

Seeing as the show would be about what Bill Adama did during the first war we already know EXACTLY where that story ends. And it isn't with a giant epic space battle it ends with...

The Cylons just up and leaving after the "Five" Skinjobs arrive and offer them both Skinjob and Ressurection Tech in exchange for leaving the Humans alone.

I actually rewatched the BSG Mini Series the other day and was thinking had Caprica been allowed to go on for a bit more and got to end at the begining of the 1st Cylon War. It would have been epic if while showing scenes of the Cylons initial attack they played the speech Adama gave at Galacticas decommision ceremony, over it. I think that would have worked well.

Don't suppose there's any chance of SyFy changing their minds on Caprica :heh:

Watched the last episode, and really enjoyed it.

I'm really glad that they were able to show us what they were planning in season 2. It's frustrating that what they were planning looked brilliant. It's also clear that they simply ran out of time (in terms of the number of episodes they were allowed to do) for some things.

- The whole Adama section of the finale just seemed...odd. It was a really odd thing to do and Joseph and Sam's reaction to it just seemed like something that was already written before they decided to kill Willie. I personally think that someone didn't like some of the things that they made the kid do, and they had to "fix" that by saying that he was Bill's brother. Or something similar to that. Although I suppose they did kind of hint at it as we knew that Evelyn was his mother.

- Speaking of the Adamas...where did Tamara go? She just vanished. Like Mokong, it would have been very fitting to have her at Clarice's chapel, which I think is supposed to be in V-World - with how things played out I doubt that a building like that would exist. As for why she wanted to help the Cylons...it just seems that it was her new way of gaining power. I suspect that she isn't - and never was - a believer of God.

- It was nice to see Lacy as the "Blessed Mother" of the monotheist religion, although I do think that she had a long way to go to get there (as would have been explained in season 2), as well as explaining why her character would get to the point where she would agree to a cylon rebellion.

- As for Zoe, it's really had to tell with the clips shown. There would have to have been some imperfections with the body that the Greystones created for her - IIRC, the cylons in BSG were experimenting with skinjobs but hadn't perfected it. The idea of resurrection is still there but again it's imperfect - the avatar remembers from the last "back-up".

- Who shot Durham? Why didn't they also shoot Amanda?

After the teaser I really, really want the second season to happen. Why did they have to keep the "Next Season on Caprica" text at the end?

I'm also curious as to how far Blood & Chrome will go. We've essentially already seen the possible last episode in Razor.

I've seen a few episodes of this. Not been watching it as I still have to finish BSG (only got a couple of S4 eps left). It seems ok but I just get annoyed with the cars. I'll just quote my previous post on it:

The thing that pisses me off with Caprica is that they have the same cars as us. Like how the detective had a Chrysler 300, Graystone had a Rolls Royce, Zoe escaped in a Sprinter, and at one point the camera even focused on the jaguar figurine. I think that one may have been product placement. But it still annoys me. They could have at least de-badged them and used a few body mods.

Watched the last episode, and really enjoyed it.

I'm really glad that they were able to show us what they were planning in season 2. It's frustrating that what they were planning looked brilliant. It's also clear that they simply ran out of time (in terms of the number of episodes they were allowed to do) for some things.

- The whole Adama section of the finale just seemed...odd. It was a really odd thing to do and Joseph and Sam's reaction to it just seemed like something that was already written before they decided to kill Willie. I personally think that someone didn't like some of the things that they made the kid do, and they had to "fix" that by saying that he was Bill's brother. Or something similar to that. Although I suppose they did kind of hint at it as we knew that Evelyn was his mother.

- Speaking of the Adamas...where did Tamara go? She just vanished. Like Mokong, it would have been very fitting to have her at Clarice's chapel, which I think is supposed to be in V-World - with how things played out I doubt that a building like that would exist. As for why she wanted to help the Cylons...it just seems that it was her new way of gaining power. I suspect that she isn't - and never was - a believer of God.

- It was nice to see Lacy as the "Blessed Mother" of the monotheist religion, although I do think that she had a long way to go to get there (as would have been explained in season 2), as well as explaining why her character would get to the point where she would agree to a cylon rebellion.

- As for Zoe, it's really had to tell with the clips shown. There would have to have been some imperfections with the body that the Greystones created for her - IIRC, the cylons in BSG were experimenting with skinjobs but hadn't perfected it. The idea of resurrection is still there but again it's imperfect - the avatar remembers from the last "back-up".

- Who shot Durham? Why didn't they also shoot Amanda?

After the teaser I really, really want the second season to happen. Why did they have to keep the "Next Season on Caprica" text at the end?

I'm also curious as to how far Blood & Chrome will go. We've essentially already seen the possible last episode in Razor.

So what's the bottomline, does it end with a feel of completion or does it end "mid-air"? Because unless it actually ties things up, I'm not gonna watch it... Had enough of that frustration with Carnivale and Deadwood!

So what's the bottomline, does it end with a feel of completion or does it end "mid-air"? Because unless it actually ties things up, I'm not gonna watch it... Had enough of that frustration with Carnivale and Deadwood!

Trying not to spoil anything but it ends with a peek at what we could have seen in Season 2. But was edited in a way that it worked as a final ender. You can see where things will go and where the seeds of the Cylon Uprising are sown. It kind of ties things up by leaving things open for a 2nd season.

Also I just been reading some comments on Caprica's official Facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Caprica

And saw this update by "Caprica" (someone from SyFy)

We're so happy that Canadian fans got to see the finale on Tuesday night, and we hope that you loved it. We're asking you not to post spoilers however so it doesn't ruin the excitement and experience for those who haven't seen it yet!

"Don't ruin the excitement and experience"... FRAK YOU SyFy.

Yer the ones who cancelled the show and pulled the final 5 episodes (does that count as ironic?), how dare you suggest that viewers of your channel have and "exciting expereince" to look forward to when you finally decide to air the final 5 eps.

I read a comment there also that from the pilot it's been over 600 days.... almost two fraking years it's taken SyFy to show just 18 episodes of just 1 season. They screwed up the scheduling of the show and they wonder why they lost ratings. If they gave it a 2nd season and actually aired it to a normal/reasonable schedule I bet the ratings would be much better.

I guess you're right in they wanted the "fix" the character, there were a few moments I remember thinking "how does Adama go from that to who we saw in BSG?" when he was fooling round with learning how to be in the mafia. Kinda made it harder to belove he would grow up to be a great military leader.

Just on the last bit... I was thinking (though never typed), even if she wasn't originally a believer in a One True God, it would be possible she would come to believe it given her current situation and maybe through her contact with Zoe

It only just occured to me last night that Zoe's skinjob is indeed far from perfect from what we know Skinjobs to be in BSG. We saw that there is an actual robot under he "skin", she's more like a T-800 than the Skinjobs we see in BSG which are near indistingushable from normal humans... how did I not think of that yesterday :heh:

• 8 months later...

8 Month BUMPAGE

First sorry for the big bump, just wanted to see if anyone here knows if Caprica will be released here (UK and/or Ireland) on BluRay?

Even though I'm still pissed off with the cancellation of the show I would still like to have a collection of it on BluRay to go next to my BSG Boxset :)

I can only find it on DVD on the likes of Play and Amazon and someone on twitter pointed me to an article that said there No Plans for a BluRay Release in the USA.

But there is a BluRay release in France.

Low and behold I checked Amazon.fr and there it is, Caprica on BluRay

Now my problem is, I don't speak or read french (the funny thing is I took french all through school, somehow passed the subject and yet still can't understand the language).

I can see the date "25 Oct 2011" so I assue it's not out yet and that is the expected release date, so surely France couldn't be the only place in the world getting this released on BluRay?

Anyone know if it'll be availble over this way too?

Also can anyone tell me what is included in this? Is it a boxset? Does it include the original Movie Pilot and the whole of the 1st (and only) season?

And most important I guess, does it have an english audio track, haha.

8 Month BUMPAGE

First sorry for the big bump, just wanted to see if anyone here knows if Caprica will be released here (UK and/or Ireland) on BluRay?

Even though I'm still pissed off with the cancellation of the show I would still like to have a collection of it on BluRay to go next to my BSG Boxset :)

I can only find it on DVD on the likes of Play and Amazon and someone on twitter pointed me to an article that said there No Plans for a BluRay Release in the USA.

But there is a BluRay release in France.

Low and behold I checked Amazon.fr and there it is, Caprica on BluRay

Now my problem is, I don't speak or read french (the funny thing is I took french all through school, somehow passed the subject and yet still can't understand the language).

I can see the date "25 Oct 2011" so I assue it's not out yet and that is the expected release date, so surely France couldn't be the only place in the world getting this released on BluRay?

Anyone know if it'll be availble over this way too?

Also can anyone tell me what is included in this? Is it a boxset? Does it include the original Movie Pilot and the whole of the 1st (and only) season?

And most important I guess, does it have an english audio track, haha.

using Google translate helps a bit, it does seem to have an english audio track, it is advertised as the complete series, but doesn't specify exactly what the contents are

using Google translate helps a bit, it does seem to have an english audio track, it is advertised as the complete series, but doesn't specify exactly what the contents are

Cool, might take the risk at ordering this from amazon.fr then if it looks like there isn't a proper english release.

Totally forgot about this... Did they finish the first/only season?

Yes yes they did. It was a great ending and the show really picked up in the 2nd half.

It deserved a 2nd season but Syfy and NBC are a bunch of frakking dicks :mad:

• 4 months later...

*BUMPAGE*

Just finished watching the BluRay with my cousin... same cousin who after refusing to watch BSG I convinced him to watch the mini-seris and he fell in love with the show.

And it was only on this 2nd rewatching of the show that I noticed some things.... like some actors from BSG making guest appearences in Caprica.... how did I not see that before? Espeically Kat...my god I'm blind :heh:

Also noticed something about the ending which I was confused about before but I now get

The bit when Clairce is preaching to the Cylons in a Church like place and you see Zoe there.... I always thought it weird that she would be there and smiling I would have assumed she'd be pissed at Clairce and even if Zoe supported the Cylons in their desire to become more than "slaves" she would still think CLarice is up to no good surely.

Anyway while rewatching it and seeing all the epsiodes near enough back to back I realised that the Zoe we see in the "Church" is not really Zoe the avatar.... it is the Angel Zoe that appeared to her... the one that saved the real Zoe from a fire as a kid and then appeared to Zoe during her fight with Tamara in New Cap City.

And there was no real indication that Clarice saw here even though she was sitting front row.

Now it makes sense why that Zoe was smiling, cause as that was "God's" Angel she obviously knew that things were now in motion for God's plan to get them to Earth.

Another thing about the ending, to do with the Willie/Bill thing... I thought this was mentioned here before back when it originally aired but I don't see any post mentioning it so I've obviously gone crazy.

Anyway we had said that it felt a little like the writers didn't like what they had done with young William and decided to start over by killing him and giving Joseph a new son who is also named William.

I realised that it was more planned than it looked. A few things about "Willie" didn't gel with what we knew about "Bill"...for one the nickname... William Adama in BSG was always called "Bill" never "Willie"... second, the eyes... Bills main feature were his deep blue eyes, even in the Razor flashbacks they made sure the actor had blue eyes to match.... yet in Caprica "Willie" had brown eyes... casting error? Or sign that things weren't right.

I also remember reading ages ago on some BSG forums that other things about Willie weren't right, like him being too old given the time setting of events in Caprica and also Willie's mother not being who was known to be Bills mother from a document seen in a BSG ep...("Heroes" I think... the one with Bulldog)... which said his mothers name was "Evelyn" who in Caprica was Josephs secertary who he then marries and has a son with that they call Bill. So going by that it actually does appear to be more planned then we thought.

Maybe the writers wanted to confuse us from the start. As we'd think no matter how much danger "Willie" gets in he can't possibly die as he becomes the Admiral in BSG.... oh wait

Just finished my rewatch on Blu-Ray

I agree with you about the Angel Zoe. Actually, I had totally forgotten about her the first time watching.

I also noticed in the first few episodes Daniel making jokes that Amanda used to be crazy (stuff like "you know what that feels like").

Like Mokong, I didn't noticed the BSG actors, nor did I notice that Evelyn is the same person who played Janet Fraiser in SG-1.

The worst thing about Caprica was that some plotlines were kept for Season 2. Tamara simply disappeared and Lacy's rise to power is never shown.

Some interesting things that was going to happen in season 2, but wasn't shown on the trailer was

Daniel couldn't work out the "skinjob" body for Zoe, until Zoe noticed something strange in the V-world code. Once she had followed this, she met Tyrol, who told her what she needed to do.

On top of this Zoe, in her new body, would have joined the "Caprica Legionnaries", a group created to stop the Cylons before they got too powerful.

I'm hoping they manage to work a few things into Blood and Chrome (just things mentioned in passing, it doesn't have to be a major part of the show)

Also, the music throughout the entire show is incredible. They need McCreary for Blood and Chrome.

Edited by Cube

Just finished my rewatch on Blu-Ray

I agree with you about the Angel Zoe. Actually, I had totally forgotten about her the first time watching.

I also noticed in the first few episodes Daniel making jokes that Amanda used to be crazy (stuff like "you know what that feels like").

Like Mokong, I didn't noticed the BSG actors, nor did I notice that Evelyn is the same person who played Janet Fraiser in SG-1.

The worst thing about Caprica was that some plotlines were kept for Season 2. Tamara simply disappeared and Lacy's rise to power is never shown.

Some interesting things that was going to happen in season 2, but wasn't shown on the trailer was

Daniel couldn't work out the "skinjob" body for Zoe, until Zoe noticed something strange in the V-world code. Once she had followed this, she met Tyrol, who told her what she needed to do.

On top of this Zoe, in her new body, would have joined the "Caprica Legionnaries", a group created to stop the Cylons before they got too powerful.

I'm hoping they manage to work a few things into Blood and Chrome (just things mentioned in passing, it doesn't have to be a major part of the show)

Also, the music throughout the entire show is incredible. They need McCreary for Blood and Chrome.

In response

Haha I copped Janet Fraiser first time.... mostly cause I thought Fraiser was HOT in SG1 and I cried when she died :cry::cry:

Also where did you find out that stuff about season 2?

Man that sounds so good... I HATE SyFy even more now...

no idea how they could have worked in a Tyrol cameo as he would have still been on his travels from Earth with the others, but it would have been awesome to see.

And as you said it would have been great to actually see Lacey become the Blessed Mother and to find out what Tamara was up to.

For Blood & Chrome's first ep I'm hoping there's some sort of narrated intro that picks up right where Caprica was left and gives a little short story of how the Cylon war started and gives some insight into what happened to the Caprica characters.

Would also love if B&C wasn't on Syfy so that it might have a hope of lasting more than one season... wish Sky One had stepped in and funded a Caprica Season 2 (and more Stargate too), afterall Sky One part funded the BSG Mini Series didn't they?

I've boycotted SyFy since even though SyFy UK doesn't show the shows I watched (sometimes they have a decent movie on...like last night I spotted Short Circut on it but refused to watch it as it was on that channel)... wish it was possible to remove just that one channel from my Sky subscription :heh: