NEurope
martinist

Keep getting ID'd

Doesn't it become more of a compliment to get ID'd as time goes on and your face withers like an old tree?

It's like... younger kids hate it, older adults love it.

Am I wrong? Whenever someone asks me for ID I blush and swoon on the spot for about twenty minutes.

Doesn't it become more of a compliment to get ID'd as time goes on and your face withers like an old tree?

It's like... younger kids hate it, older adults love it.

Am I wrong? Whenever someone asks me for ID I blush and swoon on the spot for about twenty minutes.

Indeed. I enjoy it, except for when they used to refuse my ID

I found it quite insulting today when buying dead rising 1 that it says on the receipt ''ID checked'' when it balantly wasn't.

She obviously thought I was old :'(, I'm only 20!

Indeed. I enjoy it, except for when they used to refuse my ID

Exactly, I understand they have to do their job properly, and there's something quite satisfying about going "Yes, ta-da!!", but when they refuse it without reason (or, indeed, accuse you of having a fake one - AKA fraud), it's a bitch.

Exactly, I understand they have to do their job properly, and there's something quite satisfying about going "Yes, ta-da!!", but when they refuse it without reason (or, indeed, accuse you of having a fake one - AKA fraud), it's a bitch.

I imagine most people will not realise they are actually accusing you of fraud, have you mentioned it to them? Not angrily as this will not work in your favour, but it's quite a serious matter and will put you in prison for a good 6 months.

That is something that really miffs me. As of recently places have started ID'ing me for 18 games, they never used to! I don't mind for alcohol and sharp impliments but for some reason this really gets me.

I always have my ID out and before they can finish the sentence i have it held out in full view, shazam!

I thought i was going to get ID'd for halo reach the other week, even though it's a 16. The bloke at the till checked and said 'i think your old enough.'

Yeah, only 4 years old enough. :nono:

It's the smarmy ones that get me, at least if they're nice about it it's not too bad. It justs makes me wonder, in this constantly cautious day and age, how old will i have to be before i finally stop being ID'd for anything that could 'possibly turn me into a raving lunatic'? I've heard of people being ID'd trying to buy spoons!

It's just driving licence or passport, they're the only two accepted forms.

Which, thinking about it, is a bit shit since they both cost money.... Then again I have both anyway so don't really care :heh:

There's also certain cards with the PASS hologram on them which can be accepted.

Not really. I hate the patronising way they try to tell you "If you're fortunate/lucky enough to look under 21..." then basically say they think you're trying to break the law.

They're not saying that they think you're trying to break the law. They're trying to prevent themselves from getting their license revoked by people breaking the law

That is something that really miffs me. As of recently places have started ID'ing me for 18 games, they never used to! I don't mind for alcohol and sharp impliments but for some reason this really gets me.

I always have my ID out and before they can finish the sentence i have it held out in full view, shazam!

I thought i was going to get ID'd for halo reach the other week, even though it's a 16. The bloke at the till checked and said 'i think your old enough.'

Yeah, only 4 years old enough. :nono:

It's the smarmy ones that get me, at least if they're nice about it it's not too bad. It justs makes me wonder, in this constantly cautious day and age, how old will i have to be before i finally stop being ID'd for anything that could 'possibly turn me into a raving lunatic'? I've heard of people being ID'd trying to buy spoons!

Not that it's related to being ID'd, but a friend of my brother was once carrying a spatula from his house to his mum's house because his mum needed it. He didn't have a car. The police did him for carrying a concealed offensive weapon.

Not that it's related to being ID'd, but a friend of my brother was once carrying a spatula from his house to his mum's house because his mum needed it. He didn't have a car. The police did him for carrying a concealed offensive weapon.

Yeah, that's not totally been invented or exaggerated by someone along the chain of communication...

I've been ID'd for buying Rizlas, lighters and matches before -- I'm pretty sure the latter two, especially the matches, don't have an age limit.

This changed with the raising of the age limit to 18 - if you're under-age you're not allowed to buy tobacco or smoking paraphernalia. Trivia for you :D

They're not saying that they think you're trying to break the law. They're trying to prevent themselves from getting their license revoked by people breaking the law

I'd laugh in disbelief, but i totally believe that that could and would happen. A little bit extreme, a knife is a knife, but a spoon and a spatula? :nono:

It's threads and attitudes like this that make it hard for people like me to do my job without fear of backlash from customers. It might be slightly irritating to get ID'd when buying age restricted goods but what you have to realise is that if you turned out to be someone checking for the police and we didn't check you, we'd get up to a £5000 fine, criminal record and most likely lose our jobs.

It's one of the hardest parts of my job as a sales assistant at a game store, that when people come up with an 18 rated game I have to decide if they're old enough from looking at them, fully understanding that people can look both older and younger than they are. There have been times in the past when I've let them buy it and instantly regret my decision, knowing I should have ID'd them but I didn't - simply because I didn't want to deal with the rude remarks or stupid questions we generally back. I understand the energy you use to get your driving license out of your wallet (which you probably already have in your hand) is such a colossal amount, but next time you get ID'd by someone on a checkout or on a door, just remember they're doing their job so that you can buy the alcohol/game/knife/dildo/cigs. And try not to give them grief for it.

It's not really that much of a pain to get something out of your pocket and wave it at someone.

However, if you have an accepted form of ID (with the correct holograms and stuff) then it shouldn't be the shop's responsibility to decide on if it's fake or not.

They're not saying that they think you're trying to break the law. They're trying to prevent themselves from getting their license revoked by people breaking the law.

You've just refuted your point. They think you're one of them.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

@ Dyson:

Being ID'd is annoying but it's fine if it's handled correctly. HMV have ID'd me before and this one bloke always has a joke about it and is really nice about it all.

It's usually people in supermarkets who sneer at you when they realise you have ID, that's what really annoys me.

I understand it's your job to ID, i mean i'd rather not have a 5 grand fine either, although it does sometimes get a bit tiresome, but then i combat that by making sure i get out my ID at the same time as my money to pay for something.

As of yet i haven't had my form of ID questioned, but then again i always use my drivers licence.

You've just refuted your point. They think you're one of them.

No, they don't think you are, they ensure that you're not.

It's the blanket bomb strategy

It's threads and attitudes like this that make it hard for people like me to do my job without fear of backlash from customers.

Agreed, I can imagine it being a pretty awful aspect of your job, and its not your fault people are chancers or look young!

However, if you have an accepted form of ID (with the correct holograms and stuff) then it shouldn't be the shop's responsibility to decide on if it's fake or not.

I agree, if there is a set protocol.. Once it has passed that, and is proven to be checked properly, then the liability should stand with the customer. But the problem is it's not that way...the liability is nearly always on the seller.

I'm never really offended when I'm asked for ID because its just a neccesary part of our society.. just a shame that so few shops follow it! I went to buy booze not even a year ago (i'm 24) and got asked for ID after the transaction was made... Kinda stood there in a stunned silence.. haha.

It's not really that much of a pain to get something out of your pocket and wave it at someone.

This is my issue with it summed up perfectly. I don't get the point of carrying ID (real OR fake, for that matter), if it's going to get refused anyway as it might be fake...

If it's clearly a fake, then fair enough, or if it's foreign, then, by all means, get the supervisor over, but if I present a cashier with a genuine-looking (as it's genuine) driving licence with a photo that is clearly me and is in date, they have no reason to suspect it, and, in doing so, they're accusing me of forging documents. They definitely don't need any kind of clarification towards which date is my DOB as it's a common form of ID they've seen a thousand times. As such, they must think the ID is either not mine or fake, with literally no reason to do so. That is an accusation of fraud. A false accusation of fraud.

I agree, if there is a set protocol.. Once it has passed that, and is proven to be checked properly, then the liability should stand with the customer. But the problem is it's not that way...the liability is nearly always on the seller.

Not really - if a shop sells alcohol to a person over 18 which is then supplied to a minor, the shop is not liable, only the adult customer is. Likewise, if a shop is presented with an ID that seems real and to belong to the holder, they are not at fault.

Edited by The fish

No, they don't think you are, they ensure that you're not.

And in doing so shows they don't trust you.