NEurope
martinist

Keep getting ID'd

I've only ever been ID'd once in my entire life and that was going into a bar which was IDing everyone, even some of my friends who're in their 30s.

But other than that, never get ID. I do look a lot older than I am though (I've had some b*****d tell me I look like I'm 30 when I'm 21), thanks largely to the facial hair. I would have thought having long hair for a guy would have meant more IDing but I think with the facial hair, it's sort of a complete set that masks who I am and how old I am.

Or you know you could save yourself the hassle and just shop some where else.

The next nearest shop that isn't at least twice the price for any alcohol is in Luton...

Also, it's a matter of principle - I don't like being accused of fraud, and next time they do, I'll scare 'em into not doing so...

I got ID'd yesterday for Euromillion tickets (I'm 19) at Tesco. I can understand if I was buying something 18+, but there's no way I look under 16. They wouldn't accept my University card as my ID card, so in the end, I'm sticking to buying lottery tickets online.

There are a few clubs in town that ID everyone, regardless of how old you look. I don't get ID'd that often. I'm very rarely clean shaven or at least have the sideburns on the go, which helps I always tell myself. I only really get ID'd if i'm out with some friends that look a bit on the young side, Bouncers obviously think that because they look a bit young, i must be too. Doesn't bother me getting ID'd, I certainly don't see the point in getting offended by it; you can't help how old you look, so why worry about it.

I don't get ID'd but I am a balding bearded 27 year old.

Saying that though I never used to get ID'd in bars/clubs etc when I was like 18. Always have looked older which sucks. Take it as a compliment that people think you look younger :)

I am 27 and still need to bring my ID with me... apparently for the last 11 years I have remained a 16 year old.... especially when I'm clean shaven. If I have some facial hair grown I look like a 16 year old trying to look 18, so I'm told :heh:

I got ID'd last night. At the local Wetherspoons ordering some much needed food for myself and my girlfriend.

"Can I have *food* and pint of diet coke and pint of Fosters"

"Ok *does random till shit for a minute* Got any ID?"

As cheerfully as I can "Nope!"

She was speechless. I let her stutter for a few seconds before telling her to change the Fosters to a normal coke.

The next nearest shop that isn't at least twice the price for any alcohol is in Luton...

Also, it's a matter of principle - I don't like being accused of fraud, and next time they do, I'll scare 'em into not doing so...

What legal action would you take against them for that?

"Mr Judge, they kept annoying me because they were just trying to make sure they do their job properly yet they wouldn't serve me."

Probably won't work. Maybe you really don't look like your picture ---> get a new one.

What legal action would you take against them for that?

"Mr Judge, they kept annoying me because they were just trying to make sure they do their job properly yet they wouldn't serve me."

Probably won't work. Maybe you really don't look like your picture ---> get a new one.

I got a new one in March as the last one didn't look like me. The new one, surprisingly for a driving licence photo, is unmistakeably me. Regardless, the entire purpose of having the practice of challenging for ID is to see if people have ID with their age on - if presented with ID that isn't obviously not their or fake, and the DOB puts their age at over 18, the cashier has done their job. The proof of age is the ID, so expecting me to bring in something else is stupid - they should remove driving licences from the list of acceptable ID's if they're not willing to accept them.

This, however, is them just being busybody's and idiots. The real problem is them saying "I don't believe this is you" or "I need to see something else, I don't think this is real" - that is an accusation of providing fraudulent documents. They are accusing me of a major crime, with no justification what so ever. If they had a reason to do so, they'd call the police immediately (indeed, they should - I may suggest that next time). Having a supervisor accuse me, in front of half a dozen other people, of committing fraud and faking of documents is, amongst other things, slanderous and embarrassing.

They have no reason to suspect me of fraud and faking documents, and yet openly accuse me of it. If I had someone else's ID, fair enough. If I had a fake ID, then definitely fair enough. They have literally no reason to do it, and it's a big fucking accusation.

Them doing their job properly is ID'ing me. I presented them with a legitimate, common form of ID. They've seen ID saying I'm over 18. The rest isn't their job.

I got ID'd last night. At the local Wetherspoons ordering some much needed food for myself and my girlfriend.

"Can I have *food* and pint of diet coke and pint of Fosters"

"Ok *does random till shit for a minute* Got any ID?"

As cheerfully as I can "Nope!"

She was speechless. I let her stutter for a few seconds before telling her to change the Fosters to a normal coke.

Lucky you - when I passed my driving test and my new licence was being processed, I went for lunch in 'Spoons with my sister when she came to see me at Uni, and I ordered non-alcoholic drinks and food. They refused to serve me without ID. Which particular items contained age-controlled substances, I'm unsure, but they held firm. I went back to my seat, my sister went to order and came back to report no even being ID'd. She's older than me, but looks about 19, I'm clearly in my 20's...

That reminds me, I got IDed this summer buying a disposable barbecue. Not sure I see the logic behind that one... something about not giving kids fire-making equipment? Can they buy matches?

Anyway, my wallet and provisional driving licence within got stolen ages ago now, and I haven't been bothered to get a new provisional, so I have to carry my passport around for ID. People get a little surprised when they see it, and one time a barmaid asked me which date was my birthday (all the other dates are 21st Century :heh:).

Hmm so if you guys don't have a driving licence, what can you use as an ID? Cause I don't think everyone owns a passport?

Over here everyone has an ID card, and you're basically supposed to carry it with you at all times (though I think lots of people forget heh). But yeah, it's a good thing I think. In case something happens, or for example if you have an accident and they need to be able to tell who you are to contact your family or something.

Hmm so if you guys don't have a driving licence, what can you use as an ID? Cause I don't think everyone owns a passport?

Over here everyone has an ID card, and you're basically supposed to carry it with you at all times (though I think lots of people forget heh). But yeah, it's a good thing I think. In case something happens, or for example if you have an accident and they need to be able to tell who you are to contact your family or something.

Passport is acceptable too, but that doesn't look anything like me to be honest. We were going to have ID cards, but they got scrapped because apparently having them would make us a police state. But of course...

It's just driving licence or passport, they're the only two accepted forms.

Which, thinking about it, is a bit shit since they both cost money.... Then again I have both anyway so don't really care :heh:

It's just driving licence or passport, they're the only two accepted forms.

Which, thinking about it, is a bit shit since they both cost money.... Then again I have both anyway so don't really care :heh:

Yeah but I imagine not everyone has both. Or even just one of them. People younger than 18 won't have a driving licence. And I doubt everyone has a passport either. So how can you ID people if they don't have those?

We only need passports if we want to travel to countries like the US or anything outside of the EU I think. Anything in the EU we just use our ID card. Nice and simple.

Lucky you - when I passed my driving test and my new licence was being processed, I went for lunch in 'Spoons with my sister when she came to see me at Uni, and I ordered non-alcoholic drinks and food. They refused to serve me without ID. Which particular items contained age-controlled substances, I'm unsure, but they held firm. I went back to my seat, my sister went to order and came back to report no even being ID'd. She's older than me, but looks about 19, I'm clearly in my 20's...

A lot of pubs only have a license for over 18s to be on the premises I think. I know a lot of places which just don't allow children to be in them at all.

Most shops/pubs have a list displayed somewhere that says what forms of ID they accept. Some places accept NUS cards (national union of students), such as university IDs, but the problem here is there's no real conformity between different unis and their IDs so my sheffield one would be less likely to be accepted the farther away I am!

I will try to pay attention next time I go into a shop as I'm fairly sure there's a good 3 or 4 forms of ID accepted. A 'form of ID' when dealing with a bank/government institution also covers your birth certificate, bills in your name in combination with a form of photo ID (anything with your photo and your name on, but typically driver's license and passport are all that are accepted ironically enough).

Aside from a birth certificate, there's no form of universal ID in the UK to the extent that I can only imagine you have. Can you describe your card?

Aside from a birth certificate, there's no form of universal ID in the UK to the extent that I can only imagine you have. Can you describe your card?

Eid.jpg

Germany have a similar thing, too.

A lot of pubs only have a license for over 18s to be on the premises I think. I know a lot of places which just don't allow children to be in them at all.

They didn't even ID me when I brought a coke and an orange juice. When I went to buy food, they weren't happy...

eid.jpg

Here's an example. Basically it has your names, your date and place of birth, sex and nationality, a specific card number, date of validity of the card and your signature. And photo. And I think the back of the card just has your national register number or whatever.

And there's an electronic chip on the card. We can use our card to pay taxes online and all that. Though I'm not sure what else it's used for. My eye doctor asks for my ID and they put it in an e-reader then, so I guess it checks and updates my details (address mostly, not sure if there's anything else on there).

I will try to pay attention next time I go into a shop as I'm fairly sure there's a good 3 or 4 forms of ID accepted. A 'form of ID' when dealing with a bank/government institution also covers your birth certificate, bills in your name in combination with a form of photo ID (anything with your photo and your name on, but typically driver's license and passport are all that are accepted ironically enough).

It really depends on the place. Generally shops, especially supermarket chains, are a bit more lenient and accept various things, but pubs and clubs tend only to like passports and driving licences. Especially Wetherspoon's, who are ID crazy.

I get annoyed when people ask me for ID cos I'm 27, but I also get annoyed when they don't because they are saying I look old :p

They normally do a double take after looking at my Driving License and not quite believing it even if they know it's real. It's funny though when people congratulate you on looking young.

It really depends on the place. Generally shops, especially supermarket chains, are a bit more lenient and accept various things, but pubs and clubs tend only to like passports and driving licences. Especially Wetherspoon's, who are ID crazy.

Strangely I've never been ID'd in a Weatherspoons...

Strangely I've never been ID'd in a Weatherspoons...

I've never been ID'd by a Wetherspoons when buying alcohol, only when buying food. :laughing:

Edited by The fish