NEurope
Ashley

Disappointing Films

Oh, how I missed you, O_W!

Personally I very much enjoyed The Road. It's one of the most faithful adaptations I've ever seen - and it can't help that its source material winds up on Sentimental Lane.

Haha, I watched it with a friend on DVD and we both fell asleep as well.

I wouldn't call the film disappointing though as I didn't hold any expectations.

OH MY GOD, I fell asleep too! :grin:

Is it just me or is everyone's comments all over the place?

I don't even think there's anything wrong with them. And yes, I know I'm in the minority here. :heh:

Okay, I know this is just my opinion, but here it goes:

You remeber watching the first one? That first hour, before he goes outside Matrix? That's the point up to which they really had a masterpiece in their hands. "Because you have been down there Neo, you know that road, you know exactly where it ends. And I know that's not where you want to be." A perfect sci-fi script, this far, there can be no denying it. Especially since most of us could really understand and bond with Neo's whole search for "something more". Then he leaves the matrix... and up to the point where they have to rescue Morpheus, you have the perfect balance between story, action and character development... and the whole Smith/Morpheus dialogue about humanity=virus is quite fantastic, too.

But then comes what "ruined" the sequels... which is the corny action + cheesy clothes combo. The whole roof scene was completely unnecessary, as was the existence of whole messianic presence known as "the one". I call these the details that ruined the sequels because whilst in the first one these instances were far too small in lenght to actually ruin anything, the sequels became 95% about this bullshit quest for peace in yet another uninspired machines vs humans scenario that had up to that point been the most compelling piece of sci fi for the last decade or so. Peppered with cheesy lines and S&M fetishists everywhere always wearing sunglasses inside, and you have a recipe for disaster.

The Wachowski's failed to understand that what the people really loved about the first one was that urgent feeling of... well, this:

Morpheus: I imagine that right now, you're feeling a bit like Alice. Hmm? Tumbling down the rabbit hole?

Neo: You could say that.

Morpheus: I see it in your eyes. You have the look of a man who accepts what he sees because he is expecting to wake up. Ironically, that's not far from the truth. Do you believe in fate, Neo?

Neo: No.

Morpheus: Why not?

Neo: Because I don't like the idea that I'm not in control of my life.

Morpheus: I know *exactly* what you mean. Let me tell you why you're here. You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me.

This stuff is what made the first one so good... not the bullet time and sunglasses. And that's what you got in the sequels... a spoonfull of crap peppered throughout with some moments of genius, which were too few and far inbetween to make a difference. Good intentions and certainly great expectations, but nonetheless all we (the public) got was Cyberpunk karate and a fistfull of overplayed Terminator-esque clichés.

And that "oh so serious" attitude really pissed me off, too. With such great characters as Tank and Mouse around, you'd think they would've scripted in some more "mood softeners", but no... suddenly humanity's prospects get a lot better because they finally found "the one", and everyone turns into Humphrey Bogart at a funeral. Seriously, that's just bad screenwriting.

And what pisses me off the most is that they were given total freedom!!! Do you see the missed oportunities here? Suddenly two apparent geniuses are blessed with a multi-million dollar budget to make their wildest dreams come to life and what to they do? They spend it all on bad sunglasses, leather and gigantic highway pursuits that impress nobody.

They had two choices, either:

A - Play it safe and go with two generic action sequels which nobody will love as much as the original, but will still be able to rack up millions or...

B - Give it their all like they did on the first one and risk having a massive flop on their hands, but at least they would've come out of it with their dignity intact.

America...

The first one was clearly a product of love, whilst the other two were merely cashing in on it's name.

By far the best movie. Because it's the only one with balls to understand a good adaptation, adapts the story, doesn't copy it!

But even as a film it was shit. Ok then I'll watch it tonight and have an open mind with it ok :heh:

But even as a film it was shit. Ok then I'll watch it tonight and have an open mind with it ok :heh:

It's definitely the best one, if you ignore the books. The problem is, it's VERY hard to do so.

And the 4th one is definitely the worst. They cut out the best part!! Insane!

But then comes what "ruined" the sequels... which is the corny action + cheesy clothes combo. The whole roof scene was completely unnecessary, as was the existence of whole messianic presence known as "the one".

I call these the details that ruined the sequels because whilst in the first one these instances were far too small in lenght to actually ruin anything

How can you call that a minor detail? They wouldn't shut up about how Neo is the One, he isn't the One, Am I in love with the One throughout the first.

The Matrix sequels are, by no small margin, the nadir of human civilisation. They are truly the worst of the worst.

The first film was a tightly scripted action movie / thriller with more or less perfect structure. It has character arcs, drama, genuinely ground breaking direction and SFX and one of the coolest concepts behind it that I can think of. To date, it's probably the best action movie since Die Hard. It was clever, surprising and a joy to watch.

The sequels are just...nothing. They do, say, achieve or even try to accomplish absolutely nothing. The reliance on 'The One' totally undermines pretty much every core concept of character, drama and structure that all good cinema is based on (and which made the first film so good) and as such, they are not only poor, boring films, but they fail completely as narrative works of fiction and cinema on every fundamental level ever conceived.

One thing that I hated was that in the first one, the agents felt very dangerous, there was a serious threat to them and the scenes you see them in were tense because you knew these fuckers were lethal.

But in the sequels they just became these dolls for Neo to slap around with.

I loved the first Matrix, the pacing of it just seemed so right and the concept was great. I haven't ever really seen the sequels...after reading this I think I'll stay well away.

What annoyed me watching Reloaded the other day was... Neo and Smith are 'equals', yet why is it when he's fighting 100 Smiths does (as Mundi said) he just slap them around like rag dolls?

Even if you take the viewpoint that there is only one original Smith, and the rest are just copies/civilains possessed... there should at least still be the one Smith amongst the 100 capable of dealing out the damage.

Thus that scene really annoys me now, it has nothing behind it and is just there to look cool!

*production office*

"ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh 100 Smiths!!... shiney, shiney!!'

What I love about that scene is how easily you can see when it changes from actors to video game quality models.

What I love about that scene is how easily you can see when it changes from actors to video game quality models.
Definately! I hadn't seen the film in a while and watching it the other day it was just rediculous! When Neo's jumping across their heads etc... it's like watching an animated movie! Edited by Retro_Link

Well, I don't know how to argue against those points other than that I completely disagree about them. ::shrug:

You have to at least acknowledge they're the corniest people on earth... it's like being at a Nightwish concert! :hmm:

The first matrix movie was a hit because of the philosophy in conjunction with the kick-ass. While in retrospect the elevator scene and the lolicanfly ending perhaps took away from the importance of the philosophy, they were also part of the appeal and I think it's unfair to touch The Holy First Film while complaining about teh sequels.

The wachowskis fucked it up because they never planned for it to be a trilogy and were offered loads of money if they could've rushed it out now, just as everyone was getting into DVDs and The Matrix seems to be that movie I never watched but should (but not for us coolies, of course! We watched it... er... before).

Anyway, the point is that the sequels were entertaining in their own special little way, but they were just trying too hard with everything. The wedged concept behind the trilogy is alright but in essence the latter two movies were just caricatures of the first movie. They're not the worst movies ever made, they're just the most disappointing.

Well, I don't know how to argue against those points other than that I completely disagree about them. ::shrug:

Whomever filmed that has a Sylvania TV, I recognize the volume display.

You have to at least acknowledge they're the corniest people on earth... it's like being at a Nightwish concert! :hmm:

What's wrong with corny? I happen to like Nightwish as well.

What's wrong with corny? I happen to like Nightwish as well.

Me too....you're not alone, Dannyboy! :grin:

I don't even think there's anything wrong with them. And yes, I know I'm in the minority here. :heh:

Woo, minority five.

I don't know what you're fighting for but I seem to be fighting left right and centre so my support to you.!