NEurope
Ashley

Disappointing Films

Why would you expect it to be good...?

Apparently the original cartoon is really good so maybe that's why?

(or I could let him answer but whatever)

Ashley's got it. I've heard the cartoons are awesome and my mate, who normally has good taste in movies, told me it was fantastic. I didn't exactly buy the hype of "Oh my God, it's going to be awesome" but I thought it would be okay to watch to pass time by. WRONG! lmao.

I'm the type of person who enjoys pretty much any film regardless of how bad it's supposed to be. :heh: Though I've experienced several times the letdown feeling that a hype can create. But that's merely down to me blasting my hype out of proportions, so I've stopped doing that. Actually, I love to watch a film with absolutely zero expectations, because then I'm often extremely positively surprised.

I do that now as well but there are some movies that are just plain horrible and unenjoyable...

Pretty obvious but... the Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions.

...such as these two (maybe not Reloaded so much but definitely Revolutions. What a disappointing way to end a trilogy! :sad:)

I do that now as well but there are some movies that are just plain horrible and unenjoyable...

...such as these two (maybe not Reloaded so much but definitely Revolutions. What a disappointing way to end a trilogy! :sad:)

You are dead to me! :p

You are dead to me! :p

I could let Reloaded slide but not Revolutions!!! lol :p

Star Wars Ep 1 2 and 3

Lord Of The Rings.

Final Fantasy: Spirits Within

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Now I recently re-wacthed them, but yeah, I used to Looooooove LoTR but, now I just scratch my head and truly realize that it's a boring piece of shit.

The Star Wars is a given though :heh:

Final Fantasy Spirits Within was so bad it made Squaresoft broke (lol)

And Advent Children...lol Nomura, belts and zippers.

EDIT: OH and Harry Potter the 3rd movie, the book was my favorite, and how they completely fucked up the movie was truly disappointing.

While I never quite understood the dislike for the Matrix sequels, and while I was surprised to realize that films like Spider-Man 3 and Pirates 3 also disappointed many people, I have accepted that this is the case ...

I too very much enjoyed The Matrix 2 + 3 and Spider-Man 3, but I didn't have high expectations for any of them.

Personally, it's been a long time since I was excited for a film, and I actually feel a bit bad about saying this, but I'd have to say Jurassic Park. There was so much hype, I was a teenager and I'd always loved dinosaurs, so I expected it to be really brilliant. When I watched it though it was sort of a non-event, only appreciated on later viewings. Stan Winston's brilliant dinosaur models were the star of the show though.

Jurassic Park 2 was a huge dissapointment.

Star Wars Episode 2, YES!

I actually like Episodes 1 and 3.

EDIT: OH and Harry Potter the 3rd movie, the book was my favorite, and how they completely fucked up the movie was truly disappointing.

Interesting. I found the third book to be my least favourite, but the 3rd movie to be my favourite.

Actually, the only Harry Potter film I found disappointing was the first one, because films can't live up to books you've already visualised. After that, I knew what they were getting at. In fact, the films influenced how I visualised books 5-7.

More disappointing '90s films:

Men in Black

Independence Day

Jurassic Park 2 (just plain bad)

Thought they'd be brilliant, but there were a bit of a nothing, really.

Men in Black

Independence Day

Thought they'd be brilliant, but there were a bit of a nothing, really.

t10neuralizer.jpg

Jurassic Park 3. After the first (which was brilliant) and second (which wasn't as good, but still great) this one was pretty terrible.

Lord of the Flies (old, supposedly good version). Was a bit crap, and i've no idea what was supposed to be shocking about it. They showed absolutely nothing, and it could only possibly be shocking if you've not read the book, and didn't know what was going to happen.

Also didn't like the black and white version of Men and Mice. The 90s version is amazing though.

Also... most X-Men films really. Just underwhelming. I only watch them for Wolverine, who is played to perfection by Jackman.

Lord of the Flies (old, supposedly good version). Was a bit crap, and i've no idea what was supposed to be shocking about it. They showed absolutely nothing, and it could only possibly be shocking if you've not read the book, and didn't know what was going to happen.

Didn't the old film show the boulder right fall on fatty's face, though? I found that to be quite shocking when I first saw it.

Also... most X-Men films really. Just underwhelming. I only watch them for Wolverine, who is played to perfection by Jackman.

The casting in the X-Men films (bar Wolverine:Origins) is actually amazing. It's just the script / general atmosphere of the movies which are underwhelming IMO. And the fact they stray so far from the comics, to the point they make up shite just for the sake of it, in a worse way than it was handled in the comics.

Ian McKellen captures the mood of "not actually evil, just has different ideals" really well.

I found highly praised movie very disappointing because I like to be different and/or create controversy.

You rebel, you.

The casting in the X-Men films (bar Wolverine:Origins) is actually amazing. It's just the script / general atmosphere of the movies which are underwhelming IMO. And the fact they stray so far from the comics, to the point they make up shite just for the sake of it, in a worse way than it was handled in the comics.

Ian McKellen captures the mood of "not actually evil, just has different ideals" really well.

Halle Berry is an underwhelming Storm, but I did like Cyclops, Wolverine et al. I liked Jean in the films, even if she felt slightly different in character than the comics. Rogue is completely different character in the films...as is Iceman...that's something; the X-men films generally got rid of the humour some of the characters famously have (like Rogue and Iceman) in favour of teen angst.

But yeah, the third one is the only "bad" one. The other two are fine, and I really like X2, cause it feels most like the comic X-men.

More disappointing '90s films:

Independence Day

You're going to hell for that. Absolute heresy.

My most disappointing films would be...Alien Versus Predator and AVP:Requiem. The first one is passable, but still disappointing. The second is an abomination. Disgusting film. No positives whatsoever.

I was also quite disappointed with American Beauty. Found it quite pretentious at the time. The second time I found it ok, but still dislike it very much.

Terminator 3 has to be up there. Considering the two films that came before it, this is a disappointment in almost every way. Terrible scripting, lame action set-pieces, disjointed acting, bad casting for certain characters...I wish the film was unmade.

I was also quite disappointed with American Beauty. Found it quite pretentious at the time. The second time I found it ok, but still dislike it very much.

I'm going to send you to hell.

A tryst with Mephistopheles will sort you out.

I'm going to send you to hell.

I'll send you to Hull in a minute. Worse than hell.

I just didn't like it. I was watching it with a room full of people saying "OH MY GAAWWWD MAN, ITS BLOWN MY MIND!" Didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it, but couldn't help but feel disappointed.

It's fine.

At least you like Alien/s. That's my barometer of great these days.

Didn't do anything for me. I wanted to like it, but couldn't help but feel disappointed.

That's what Eenuh said.

b9vfl4b63im3ajczb5y6Qle8o1_250.gif

I was also quite disappointed with American Beauty. Found it quite pretentious at the time.

Agree.

Regarding X-Men, I didn't like the first one but, it's a bit like Harry Potter - once I got used to how they were doing it I very much enjoyed 2 + 3.

Some comic book films I found disappointing:

Hulk - I'd spent years hoping for a good Hulk film, and this was not it...

The Incredible Hulk - ...trouble is, neither was this.

Batman: the Dark Knight - is it really a good story or is it just an indulgent fantasy?

That's what Eenuh said.

b9vfl4b63im3ajczb5y6Qle8o1_250.gif

<3

For me it'd probably be some of the Harry Potter films, x-men, a few pixar films too (cars etc.), I've just not been impressed, but then all three have more than one film so it's bound to happen.