NEurope
Ashley

What Have You Bought?

41 minutes ago, martinist said:

I'll stick the ebay listing here then.

Card is black but theres no outer box or pokewalker. Pretty much just the box, card and manuals.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386518305334

Looks legit but I can see why it went for a low price. The cart sticker is in rough shape (no way should the listing be down as very good condition) and if there's no outer box that will also bring down the price. It's usually the outer box that bumps up the price. Finding one in good condition is hard to come by these days. The cardboard is usually damaged in some way.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Looks legit but I can see why it went for a low price. The cart sticker is in rough shape (no way should the listing be down as very good condition) and if there's no outer box that will also bring down the price. It's usually the outer box that bumps up the price. Finding one in good condition is hard to come by these days. The cardboard is usually damaged in some way.

Yep, I can confirm this... I sold my copy of HeartGold almost a year ago for around £180, and even that had very slight wear and/or light creasing to the outer box, even though it was mostly just stored on a shelf, or as part of a display.

A similar condition copy just sold for £220... it could well have been the same one. ::shrug:

The value of such games will likely only ever go up, I just checked and one seller, is selling each individual part of the complete game sets for various prices, which probably adds up to even more than £200 + for a complete copy... they are selling just the outer boxes though in very good condition for £30... which seems like a very good deal, if that's all you needed to complete a copy of the game.

It's all the other bits, the trays... inserts etc, that's what also seems to make up a lot of the value with collectors.

They are very good remakes too from what I remember, Nintendo could do well if they were to re-release them in any form.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, S.C.G said:

They are very good remakes too from what I remember, Nintendo could do well if they were to re-release them in any form.

Absolutely, the beginning of the golden era of Pokémon games, this and the next 3 mainline entries. HeartGold/SoulSilver in particular are remakes that don't compromise on anything that the original games have while bringing said games up to date (By Generation 4 standards), and adding lots of cool new features. I particularly like that it fleshes out the Kanto section to be a bit less bare, now that it's not limited by lack of space in a Game Boy cartridge.

Future remakes would start cutting content from the improved third versions of games, which will always bug me. Hard to call them definitive versions when the originals have more things in it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 8:19 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Finding one in good condition is hard to come by these days. The cardboard is usually damaged in some way.

I have all the other stuff still in pretty great condition from when I picked up back at launch all the way back in 2010 while on a family holiday to York, but that outer cardboard box...yeah, that was never going to last for most, can certainly see why it bumps the value up so much :laughing: my childhood copy of Ruby ended up being resigned to a simple GBA cartridge protector, too :cry:

17 hours ago, S.C.G said:

They are very good remakes too from what I remember

Absolutely excellent remakes, and for the first time I finally got to visit Johto! In retrospect perhaps it's a little too faithful at points (there's still that huge level gap between the second bout against the Elite Four and Red to overcome, and Kanto was still a bit weird in general) but, yeah, they'll always hold a very special place in my heart. 

The vibe? The recreated soundtrack which balances being in Gen IV with the traditional nature of Johto, which bleeds through in certain pieces with the use of certain instruments? That National Park theme :heart:

17 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Nintendo could do well if they were to re-release them in any form.

You'll get Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl  recreations which have been brutally forced out in under a year get overshadowed by the original GBC games being re-released and you'll like it! 

12 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Absolutely, the beginning of the golden era of Pokémon games, this and the next 3 mainline entries.

Black & White, Black 2 & White 2, X &–

I'm just going to assume you misspoke here, Glen, because that golden era started one game earlier with Platinum, and certainly does not include X & Y :p

HeartGold/SoulSilver in particular are remakes that don't compromise on anything that the original games have while bringing said games up to date (By Generation 4 standards), and adding lots of cool new features.

It took everything great about Gen IV, remade already brilliant games with a new injection of colour and character with plenty of care and consideration...and I don't think any of the extra content missed, either? Every time I go back just to crit path the game and enjoy the vibe, I still end up pumping hours into the Battle Frontier and Pokéathlon. It's "side" content which feels essential to the main dish for me, the latter especially! 

I still need to play it so maybe I shouldn't be invoking it's name, but as far as remakes which effectively replace the original go for all but the more hardcore fans, this really should be in the conversation along with Resident Evil Remake. Guess we need to wait for my generation to break into games journalism (is my generation even trying to do that? No idea) but I've just read through a couple of "best remakes of all-time" lists and it took a few to even see HGSS show up! 

Future remakes would start cutting content from the improved third versions of games, which will always bug me. Hard to call them definitive versions when the originals have more things in it.

Trust them to start doing that with the games where the originals mean the most to me :cry: Gen III was my first gen, Gen IV was the gen where I probably got what was closest to a traditional Gen I/Gen II experience at school (rumours, trading, battling, etc.), and Gen V, well, is brilliant, and a wonderful way to close out the DS era. 

Makes me very nervous going into this year, actually, and the potential to see Unova revisited in remakes. Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire had some heart - even if they aren't the best way to visit Hoenn - at least, compared to the cold, corporate-sponsored corpse of a game that was Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl, and that's before even questioning how exactly you'd even want to go about remaking Black & White because of their sequels being a thing. 

Anyways, great pick-up @martinist:peace:

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Julius said:

I'm just going to assume you misspoke here, Glen, because that golden era started one game earlier with Platinum, and certainly does not include X & Y :p

Bugger! I keep forgetting that Platinum came out before the Johto remakes!

That said, X and Y still has the best battle system, to date. The rest of the game is mediocre, but the battle mechanics are top notch! Inverse battles are great fun, and Mega Evolution is still best-in-class for battle gimmicks.

18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Bugger! I keep forgetting that Platinum came out before the Johto remakes!

Them naming the third version Sinnoh game a metal in line with the Gen II titles instead of another gemstone or high priced item has to be one of the best title teases which went completely unnoticed in the history of gaming :D

18 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That said, X and Y still has the best battle system, to date. The rest of the game is mediocre, but the battle mechanics are top notch! Inverse battles are great fun, and Mega Evolution is still best-in-class for battle gimmicks.

Hey, don't defend your mistake unless you're advocating for X & Y being top three/four :p in all seriousness, though, yeah, I loved the additions made that gen. It still hurts that they nailed the gimmick with Mega Evolution and then actively went and did away with them for much weaker ideas. Oh, and don't forget the introduction of EXP for catching Pokémon! My absolute favourite addition that gen in all honesty, and definitely makes it harder for me want to go back to a game in the series from before 2013 and have the desire to catch them all. 

A fictional band's album (the Clicker made it real).

embed?resid=3AF874526742C6E9!9119&authke

Spoiler

Songs from Alan Wake 1 & 2 and Control.

book-of-mormon-hero-710wx355h-1662719052

Had to use up my remaining annual leave before April so figured I'd go down to London for a few days and decided to finally go see Book of Mormon so I've booked my ticket. Complete coincidence but Goafer is also going down on the same week for something else so managed to save money and split a hotel room.

My Kindle Scribe has been playing up lately so I needed a new e-reader/note taker. Decided to try finally going outside the Amazon ecosystem and try the Onyx Boox Note 3C. I'm interested to see how well the colours work on it. I know they're much more muted but it'll be nice to have for comics I don't necessarily need in the best format as I'd probably get them as omnibus anyway.

ONYX_Note_%20Air_3_C_1000x1000_03.jpg

aa7841cb-421a-4000-8ab9-c77478a4f83b-102

Emulate all the things!

Edited by martinist

43 minutes ago, drahkon said:

addasd.jpg

Today's the day :D

Didn't realise you were such a big fan of the first qomp that you'd be picking qomp2 up on Day 1

:p

• Weird 1

Went to Sports Direct to buy some new trainers as the heels had worn down making me slip occasionally... And discovered that like Argos' are appearing in Sainsbury's, there appeared to be a GAME store in a Sports Direct. Naturally I had to have a browse. Found this delightful t-shirt for 8 quid. I could not resist.

image338033163.jpg

2 hours ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

And discovered that like Argos' are appearing in Sainsbury's, there appeared to be a GAME store in a Sports Direct

Yeah, Mike Ashley owns them both and the vast majority of Game stores moved into Sports Direct about 2 years ago now. 

Plus Sainsbury's has owned Argos for years too. Plus Habitat so some of the very large stores have homeware from Sainsbury's, Argos and Habitat all in one store but under different brands 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

Yeah, Mike Ashley owns them both and the vast majority of Game stores moved into Sports Direct about 2 years ago now. 

Plus Sainsbury's has owned Argos for years too. Plus Habitat so some of the very large stores have homeware from Sainsbury's, Argos and Habitat all in one store but under different brands 🤷‍♂️

I've known of the Argos/Sainsbury's remix for years, mainly since the two closest Argos' closed and the nearest can only be found in a Sainsbury's miles away. I only ever go into Sports Direct to buy footwear, so I only just found out :( 

81yrzReGlRL._SL1500_.jpg91xFRgOUdQL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm about halfway through the first book and it's really good! A little difficult to read as I have to have a dictionary nearby and use it a lot, but a great read nonetheless.

57 minutes ago, drahkon said:

81yrzReGlRL._SL1500_.jpg91xFRgOUdQL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm about halfway through the first book and it's really good! A little difficult to read as I have to have a dictionary nearby and use it a lot, but a great read nonetheless.

What would you compare them to?

11 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

What would you compare them to?

Haven't read lots of Sci-Fi books so I can't really compare.

The first one (I haven't read the others) is batshit insane. Some proper old school sci-fi writing. A bit Iain Banks imo.

It was a bit too weird for my tastes, and I heard that the rest of the series just gets weirder.

0daac81aece54cbf32ce210f04c42f908039571a.jpeg?auto=compress,format&fit=crop&h=353&w=616&s=b33303f81726410c258590144326ea3b

Last_Divinity_DLC.jpg

For about 5 bucks.
Gonna use my Steam Deck again :D