NEurope
Happenstance

Phantasy Star Online 2

I know there's been a discovery to download and play Japanese demo's on other region accounts (because of their lack of DRM), but can you actually download it onto a UK account? I'm not exactly sure if you can, so all I can say is that you'll probably need a Japanese PSN account.

I think the exploit has been patched. I have a Japanese PSN so that's not the issue.

My original plan was to import the physical copy and play using my UK PSN account, but you're probably right in saying I'll need a Japanese PSN and I'm too lazy to do the whole account switching on the Vita.

Took me all week but I finally got PSO2 working with the English patches. Controller doesnt seem to want to work for me but the keyboard and mouse controls are fine for now. Lot more talking in this though than PSO1.

Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to PS4

Phantasy Star Online 2 is coming to PlayStation 4, Sega announced.

The free-to-play online RPG first launched for PC in Japan in 2012, following a PS Vita release in 2013.

The PlayStation 4 version of Phantasy Star Online 2 will begin service in Japan in 2016.

If you’re at the Tokyo Game Show in September, Phantasy Star Online 2 will be playable on PlayStation 4.

Sega also confirmed the latest expansion to the title, “Reborn: Episode 4,” will be released in 2016, complete with a new logo.

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/phantasy-star-online-2-coming-ps4

PSO2 on PS4???

Finally!

This had better come to Europe.

Also just make it subscription based like the original PSO or free but not "free to play" I'll play it either way but I just prefer to pay up-front for these kind of things.

Bring back the Hunter's License! :D

While a PS4 version is great, I refuse to get excited until they announce a western release. Stop playing with my heart, Sega and just release the thing over here! Let it be one of the many steps needed to regain the faith of your long lost fans.

I guess you cant really blame them though if they've done the research and figured out its just not worth it to release over here

It would still be worth it though, there are plenty of long-term PSO fans who have been playing the game on consoles long before it became a pathetic PC only, Japan-exclusive release, I understand that times change but still... if they add a subscription to this they will easily make whatever money it cost them to localise it back in mere months.

I would much rather play this than any other MMO which is currently out on the PS4 or is coming to it because thus far none of them have been able to hold my interest long-term, this definitely would though as I played the PC version for a short while before it became too much of a convoluted process to keep the game working using various fan-created programs.

But to play this in English with all of the added content, with a decent controller and voice chat as standard with the option of additional keyboard communication would be just marvellous, I would honestly keep playing it for the life of the console as would many others.

If they announce that this will never come to Europe after announcing this PS4 version then I might as well just forget the game exists and go back to playing the original PSO, on my Gamecube, on my own... at least it has an offline mode where all my character data is still usable rather than being tied to a server. :heh:

You can't just say it'd be worth it though, Sega will have actually worked out how much they expect to get back from the game and how much localising it would cost along with setting up the payment systems in the West and hiring people to run all that stuff.

I would love to play it over here instead of having to go through all the fan patching but its just not that simple.

You can't just say it'd be worth it though, Sega will have actually worked out how much they expect to get back from the game and how much localising it would cost along with setting up the payment systems in the West and hiring people to run all that stuff.

I would love to play it over here instead of having to go through all the fan patching but its just not that simple.

Perhaps it isn't that simple, but if it isn't viable now then I wonder when it will be? Does the PS4 which is already selling very well over here have to double or triple its user-base before localisation is even considered?

Part of me thinks a Kickstarter to get it localised over here might even be the answer, it might get things done quicker... unless we're talking a stupid amount like millions upon millions of pounds, in which case yes... it's probably not worth it.

Would just be nice to know exactly how much we'd be talking here because if it's "only" a million or two... then I don't see what the problem is, Sega would make back the money easily during the life-time of the system.

I probably just lack any understanding of what's actually required but all I know is that as a fan it's really disheartening to see these glimmers of hope only for our hopes to be dashed once again. :(

It's been localised for PC right? Logically a western release for the PS4 version would be easy in terms of development. Marketing, manufacturing and distribution will be where they crunch the numbers. However they could fairly easily do a digital release. Or they might even include the English on the Japanese version. In which case, we could import or use a Japanese PSN account.

This would be awesome to play with N-E folks. @Sheikah, have you seen this news?

It's been localised for PC right?

It's been badly translated to English for the Asian markets (which is region locked and they essentially broke the game). The Japanese version only has a fan translation.

SEGA were originally going to localise it but it got delayed then they went silent on it, so something made them change their minds.

Edited by Ike

Yeah I heard that actual localisation is terrible. The fan one though is pretty good, its just a shame that it cant cover all of the text but it was enough at least when I last played.

Yeah I have, this would be absolutely amazing if it were to come over here but unfortunately like Hero, I just can't muster any excitement for it given it feels like they've pretty much killed it off for the West. PS4 would be a great platform for it though given its immense success, which gives it a bit of a better chance of receiving the game here. Saying that, I ain't hopeful. :heh:

Sega are on some serious crack. Thank fuck they're leaving Atlus well alone, for now.

In the wording there is the word "currently" so this could change but yeah... realistically I'm no longer optimistic at all and have no interest in creating a whole Japanese PSN account just to play it untranslated so until further notice I think I'll just forget this exists. :heh:

Obviously I'll still check this thread if it gets bumped for whatever reason only to be disappointed most likely but such is life. :indeed:

Plenty of other games to play anyway, this has reminded me that I have an unfinished run of Phantasy Star IV to complete which I started last year plus I can always go back to the level grind on the original PSO. : peace:

Wouldn't say no to a VC re-release of Phantasy Star Zero for the Wii U though Sega.

Wouldn't say no to a VC re-release of Phantasy Star Zero for the Wii U though Sega.

No online though...

No online though...

True but all character data stored on the game card at least as opposed to all on the server, I played the majority of the game on my own the first time it came out, was still enjoyable aside from the awful d-pad control.

So the PSO2 slap in the face anime has started and it's on Crunchyroll.

Every time a thread bump...

...every time an inevitable disappointment. :indeed:

Just as well I decided to go back to playing the original PSO on the Gamecube. : peace:

Every time a thread bump...

...every time an inevitable disappointment. :indeed:

Sorry. :p I did think about creating separate thread. It's probably time to give up though. :cry:

I watched the first episode Saturday night, it's such a weird concept. The story takes lace "in the real world", but the main character gets asks to join the school council but he's required to play PSO2 and give reports on it.

It blatantly exists just to promote the game (well, more so than usual), which makes the fact the officially released a subbed version even more confusing.

Well on the almost SEVENTH anniversary of this very thread being created... :(

...it's only fitting that I post this I suppose even though it pains me to do so.

Apologies in advance to those who will check this for bumping the thread. :hmm:

If anyone wants me, I'll be playing the original PSO on the GameCube, offline. :blank:

• Like 1

Yeah, I remember having some brief fun with it, but the language barrier was too great. Can't remember with who I was playing, probably at the very least @Deathjam.

It's a shame, if they were to release this in Europe, even now, I'd still give it a go, and it'll still probably be a lot of fun with a gang of NE people.

Yeah, I remember having some brief fun with it, but the language barrier was too great. Can't remember with who I was playing, probably at the very least [mention=3300]Deathjam[/mention].
It's a shame, if they were to release this in Europe, even now, I'd still give it a go, and it'll still probably be a lot of fun with a gang of NE people.

Haha every time this gets a new bump, despite knowing I shouldn't l, I still hope. Ah well maybe we can hope for a pso3 worldwide release or something.
  • Like 1

I even played the Japanese version as well for a short period of time when it had been partially translated, sadly it was when I had my old PC... I have a newer PC now which would have ran it fine but it's just not viable any more, it's a shame because if we did get a proper localised release then I would play it.

To be fair though, if a HD version of the original PSO got released on the Switch then I would be on it instantly. :D

Anyway, it's cool... I guess, I always have the GameCube version which is the main one I'll keep going back to for as long as the save file on my memory card exists. :)