NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Anyone seen this yet? I watched it the first time round, but just the standard 2D version, and always meant to get round to watching it in 3D, but I never did. I've always wanted to check out IMAX, as I've not had the pleasure yet, so I though that this would be the ideal opportunity as I regretted missing out first time. My nearest IMAX is Manchester city centre, and I hate Manchester with a passion, but I decided to make the effort.

Anyway, I'm so glad I did - IMAX is awesome. Normally, you are very aware of people around you in the cinema, but this was something else. The sound was superb - not too loud, but enough so that, along with the massive screen, you felt totally immersed in the experience, as if you were watching it alone.

Anyway, I am aware that most of you will have already checked out IMAX, but I haven't so just wanted to chirp on about how good I thought it was. The purpose of this thread was to discuss all the deleted scenes and whether you thought they were any good.

All the ones I can remember are:

The scene in Augustine's abandoned school just before Jake gets separated from the group

After Jake bonds with the Ikran Banshee, there is a bit showing his aerial hunting skills before they get hunted themselves by the Toruk

Just before the humans destroy Hometree, it shows the Na'vi destroying a few Bulldozers and Colonel Quaritch's reaction

Tsu'tey's death scene - instead of just seeing him shot and fall to his death, he survives the fall and requests Jake to be his "last shadow" ie, kill him

I thought the deleted scenes were pretty good. They added a lot to the backstory of Pandora and the Na'vi. Not sure how long the special edition will be in cinemas, or if it's worth paying to see it again, but it's a good chance to catch it in IMAX if you missed it the first time around. I thought the special effects were good watching it first time in 2d, but the 3D is incredible!

I read an IGN article on the additional scenes, and I'm not sure they're enough for me to go back and see it.

I probably would if there was an IMAX near me though to give that a try.

I've never known what IMAX is...

Anyway, I never saw it the first time.

I'm oddly tempted to see it the second time, purely because it seems that this is the biggest movie ever and if you haven't seen it no one will bother going to your funeral.

BUT.

I don't want to see it because it still looks like a bag of shit.

Didn't see it the first time. Not all too fussed, but I might see it this time. I do, however, feel this is just another way to make a crapload of money on this film.

I do, however, feel this is just another way to make a crapload of money on this film.

How dare they?!

:p

IMAX, as far as I can tell, is just a great big fuck off screen.

It's about the height of a seven storey building and is slightly curved so that the screen takes up the majority of your peripheral vision. Put your nose about a centimetre from your monitor and that's how big the screen is, but without the blurriness. I think...

The sound seemed better as well, though I'm sure some clever person on here can explain it better

How dare they?!

:p

I'm not mad or anything. I'm just tired of the hype around this movie.

IMAX, as far as I can tell, is just a great big fuck off screen.

It's about the height of a seven storey building and is slightly curved so that the screen takes up the majority of your peripheral vision. Put your nose about a centimetre from your monitor and that's how big the screen is, but without the blurriness. I think...

The sound seemed better as well, though I'm sure some clever person on here can explain it better

That sounds absolutely terrifying! :o

Didn't see it the first time. Not all too fussed, but I might see it this time. I do, however, feel this is just another way to make a crapload of money on this film.
Tbf, the movie was taken down too early because of other 3D movies being released soon after its release.

It'll make them a good deal more money, but I shouldn't think more than 10% of first time viewers will go back this time.

There are very few films that I can justify paying £11 (or £12 if I want a semi-decent seat) plus £5.50 for transport for to see at my local IMAX. Avatar is definitely one of them. I didn't enjoy it the first time. It reminded me of Attack of the Clones - i.e. bad main actors/characters, boring "romantic" sections that just fall flat on it's face, stupid plot points and a great sci-fi battle at the end (well, Avatar's wasn't particularity great. It was just that section from RotJ that everyone likes to ignore when talking about it).

I suppose it says a lot that I didn't even notice that I was watching a CGI film due to the amount of cringing.

Edited by Cube

That sounds absolutely terrifying! :o

This gives you an idea of how big it is.

IMAXcomparison.jpg

I watched TS3 in the IMAX. The only difference I could tell was it felt like you were sitting RIGHT NEXT to the screen like you used to as a child.

I've still not seen Avatar but I don't think I'd want to see this so called SE because its a DVD extra that's been re-released in cinemas for more profit. No thanks.

I got fairly uncomfortable after three or so hours in the IMAX London seats and although the movie was incredible, I don't feel the bum numb is justified for another, even lengthier, spin.

I'll be day one for this on Blu-ray though. I've held off the vanilla release for the inevitable extended super set. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

I thought IMAX was just a high resolution, high quality screening cinema. Has 3D etc.

I'm not wasting money on this thang.

I really didn't enjoy Avatar (seeing it for a second time made me want to die). I doubt I'll see the Special Edition.

[/completelyunnecessarypessimism]

I'll never understand the dislike for avatar beyond trying to maintain an "elitist" point of view on things.

I don't mind a view people disliking it but man the internet has really taken it upon itself to collectively hate this film. I mean it generally got extremely positive reviews. It does what it's supposed to do VERY well,It's got great special effects and action scenes.. at one time that was enough in an action film.

I know it's not Cameron's best but it's in very good company.

That been said i certainly won't be going to see the special addition. It's not THAT good lol

I think the intense dislike from some is simply a reactionary response to the (in their opinion) undeserved amount of praise it has received. I haven't seen it myself, so I can't comment on it, but I know even I have become a bit tired by the hailing of this film as the second coming, so I understand if some people hold even stronger negative feelings towards it.

...Or maybe people are just seeing it for what it is, a very by-the-numbers, been-done, mediocrely-scripted-and-acted, visually amazing film?

If it wasn't so epic/lovely visually, it'd get worse reviews.

I enjoyed it, despite it's flaws. But not after the 3rd time I had to see it. :/

Well I finally got to see what the fuss was all about after being one of the possibly few people not to have seen it.

I thought it was great. Not outstanding or the best film I've ever seen, but still great.

I wish it was my first £D experience as I can imagine that being really special, but alas it wasn't and I was still taken aback by the extent of the brilliant fauna and general scenery effort put in to the film.

It was too long though, and I won't be in a rush to see it again.

Didn't catch my interest the first time round and I still have no interest now. I'll see if if my friends are going and I'm not working for once but otherwise I'll give it another miss. I like how it's helped to re-introduce 3D movies though.

I saw this today and the extra scenes makes the narrative flow much better. :D

This should have been the normal version. :)

I enjoyed it more knowing I hadn't contributed to James Cameron's money grabbing plans by seeing it for free. :grin:

This is now the fourth time I've seen it, it was more colourful as well in 3D this time like I was watching it in 3d. ^_____^

So: Avatar: SE in 3D>Avatar: normal edition Imax 3D>Avatar 2D> Avatar normal Edition 3D.

Anyone know what the 3 versions of the film are included on the Special Edition DVD/Blu-Ray?

All websites just seem to say

James Cameron's Avatar: Extended Collector's Edition (3 Discs)

16017056m.jpg

Include 3 versions of the film including an all new 3 hour Extended Cut of the film including 15 minutes of unseen footage

but then they don't go into any more detail!... Is it?...

- Original

- Extended

- Digital version for your PC/iPod etc...

or is there a 3D version in there for those with 3D TV's?

They'll almost certainly release the 3D version a year after this one.

I think they're adding a further 20 or so minutes to the DVD (on top of the SE re-release). Also here's a trailer.

This version will open on Earth!

Sign in to follow this