NEurope
Nintenchris

Minecraft!

I know the Minecraft site and server had an attack this week and then they switched to a new server which was done wrong so thats probably why.

Probably, jealous buggers.

The single player mode has been working fine for me on my laptop although it likes to crash from time to time on my desktop, poor thing.

Me too, but it is an alpha.

Oh, of course, but the recent increase in crash frequency has made multiplayer virtually unplayable.

I know the Minecraft site and server had an attack this week and then they switched to a new server which was done wrong so thats probably why.

Ah, that likely explains it, though I've strangely enough not had any problems with the singeplayer mode.

Heres a report on the attack:

So, you're having problems logging into your Minecraft account and getting into multiplayer servers. There's a reason for this. Someone (or a group) is currently DDoS attacking the game's hub, Minecraft.net, and the strain is causing problems on the player's end.

On October 20, the game's creator, Markus Persson (or "Notch") updated his blog stating that he believed the site was being assaulted. Later in the day he backed off that assessment, only to come around again after confirming that his problems were indeed the result of a malicious flood.

"SYN flood, apparently," Notch wrote, explaining what was happening. He continued in the short post, "I've learned a lot today. One of those lessons is [that I need to] hire a Linux guru."

Speaking with us today, Notch said that the Minecraft forums community has been a big help in identifying what is going on. With their aid and an ISP confirmation, Notch was able to fix the damage of one attack, shortly before another and larger DDoS attack started.

"I didn't realize it was an attack at first," Notch told us via e-mail. "I got some great help from the people running the Minecraft forums, and then my server host confirmed it was a DDoS attack. We fixed the initial attack, but then a larger one started."

This morning, Notch provided an update about current events on his blog. Minecraft is still the victim of an ongoing DDoS attack, and just like the yesterday, Notch has no clue why his site is being targeted. "As to why Minecraft.net is being targeted, I'm not sure," Notch wrote. "While the guys hosting my server are looking into things, I'll get back to coding." The game's Halloween update, which adds a new realm, fishing, jack-o-lanterns, six new block types and more, is still in the works.

As of now, Minecraft.net is up and available for use. Notch told us that he's "geting great help from several sources now" and hopes "it will be fixed tomorrow."

UPDATE: A group that wants Notch to put out more updates for the game is claiming responsibility for the DDoS attacks in a 4chan post, according to Kotaku. It's impossible to tell at the moment if these guys are really the ones responsible for these attacks. Note: this group isn't claiming affiliation with 4chan.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/minecraft-multiplayer-goes-down-as-minecraftnet-gets-attacked/2658/

I imagine it's not actually those who say it is, this game is making a vast amount of money very quickly, someone wants a cut of the profits.

Sorry for this question that has probably been asked loads. What do you get in the paid version over the free one? I'm really considering buying it as the free one seems a bit boring as there are no monsters etc. I do enjoy the free one by building things but other than that there's nothing else to do.

Sorry for this question that has probably been asked loads. What do you get in the paid version over the free one? I'm really considering buying it as the free one seems a bit boring as there are no monsters etc. I do enjoy the free one by building things but other than that there's nothing else to do.

It's just better, more monsters, easier to build things etc, I would say get it before it becomes 20euro as at 9euros you never have to pay again.

Halloween is going to be awesome, they are implementing hell :D

The main differences are crafting, monsters, tools, mining, the day/night cycle, and the fact that the paid version is incomparably better. Watch some youtube videos if you're unsure of whether you'll like the game - they'll give you a much better idea than playing the free version will.

Halloween is going to be awesome, they are implementing hell a politically correct 2nd dimension that Notch previously referred to as hell :D

Fixed. :heh: Looks like it might end up being called inferno or something.

minecraftl.png

Best picture I could get. Doesn't do justice to the scale of the project, although the battlements look alright in the picture. Has taken thousands of blocks to make that thing on the hill and it's far from being finished. Believe it's 15x15 and about 25 blocks high at the moment but will be going much higher (if possible, maybe 3 or 4 times the height it is now). Will also change drastically in shape as it goes up. All the cobblestone placed on the side of the hill is marking out the walk way that I'm going to create up to it. Not going to be a perfect and pristine one, rather I'm trying to make it rugged.

And to further point of how big the scale of this project is, in the centre of that building, under a glass floor, is a mineshaft that is 6x8 that goes down about 30 or so blocks before getting slightly smaller, at 4x4, and going down another 20 or so deep.

I seem to have an abundance of trees however. Even when all of the wood is chopped down, the foilage won't go away. Rather annoying so I kind of just leave it as it is.

There is an article on the Minecraft Wiki regarding the disappearance of trees. If any leaf block remains supported from underneath by another block that's not a leaf block, that leaf block and all connected leaf blocks won't disappear.

The main differences are crafting, monsters, tools, mining, the day/night cycle, and the fact that the paid version is incomparably better. Watch some youtube videos if you're unsure of whether you'll like the game - they'll give you a much better idea than playing the free version will.

Fixed. :heh: Looks like it might end up being called inferno or something.

Pssh, I would be insulted, but it is true, so I'll let it slide. :awesome:

Exploring caves currently, I have found a skeleton spawn which I plan to blow to pieces once I make TNT, I've still not been able to find anything other than coal and iron..

:weep:

Had a bash of this for the first time yesterday after all the praise it's gotten everywhere...I don't see the appeal, Played about 5 hours worth, built a house, built a little mountain base inside a mountain and that was it..I was bored doing it after a while, and the creepers and spiders pissed me off as well, though I do like the creepers they're pretty cool

Anyone up for some group work on a project in the server tonight? I'm--

Damn it, I just realised I'm busy tonight. Anyone up for it tomorrow evening? Say around 7/8ish?

Anyone up for some group work on a project in the server tonight? I'm--

Damn it, I just realised I'm busy tonight. Anyone up for it tomorrow evening? Say around 7/8ish?

Quite possibly! There has been nobody on the server the last three or so times I've been on, which has been disappointing. I mean, I built a port so we can all go on a cruise at some point, but we need everyone to be online :)

Yeah ive been on a few times lately and nobody else has been there. Hopefully we will get more people back once the halloween update comes.

I'm sure Mcoy is looking in to it. I'll speak to him tonight for you.