NEurope
ReZourceman

Mafia General Discussion Thread

Here's an advice: come up with roles, associate them with characters you know, and follow the most recurring pattern. That's how I eventually came up with the Gentlemen's mafia (coming soon)

Either that, or just do what ReZ said and choose the wackiest theme possible :heh:

Colours ain't whackey. Wackey. wackie. Wakcia. wuyav.

Erm. Yeah. If no one does it I'll do it after the next Pokemafia. In like...6 months or whatever.

I say to people write roles and plan game before sign ups.

Colours ain't whackey. Wackey. wackie. Wakcia. wuyav.

Erm. Yeah. If no one does it I'll do it after the next Pokemafia. In like...6 months or whatever.

I say to people write roles and plan game before sign ups.

I agree with that last sentence. Do you want to do the colour mafia? 'Cause then I won't do that one.

All right, I'll pick that theme, then. :)

I'll sign up, and I want beige if possible :P

If I sign-up in all of the planned ones, I may have enough experience to try hosting one myself? I have some ideas of my own, theme and gameplay wise.

I'd like a game with some more creative, weird roles, but nothing too complicated. Which may be really difficult. =P

One of my favourite mafias was the animafia one, where I was count duckula. I think my power was that I could trap two people in my castle and they would target each other or something. In any case, it was fun. =P

I'd like a game with some more creative, weird roles, but nothing too complicated. Which may be really difficult. =P

One of my favourite mafias was the animafia one, where I was count duckula. I think my power was that I could trap two people in my castle and they would target each other or something. In any case, it was fun. =P

Correction: whoever targeted the first one would target the second one and vice-versa. I didn't think it was that original, but it sure was fun :heh:

Correction: whoever targeted the first one would target the second one and vice-versa. I didn't think it was that original, but it sure was fun :heh:

Well I guess it was one of my first mafia games, so it felt original to me haha. Plus I liked the write-ups and the theme of the game. =)

Kinda what I'm feeling. I've not done alot of them so I'm not used to the 'standard' roles, but I think players are and so the dynamic of the game is a bit set and stale already. Mixing shit up is the way to make them better, for often I see people's arguments and reasoning in mafia threads being examples of mafia dynamics and previous mafias etc

Well, after seeing your confusing posts in the DIY mafia I was a bit worried before the start :p. But you're doing well so far, just try not to forget stuff :p. But it looks like you got creative with some abilities, there's a lot of fun stuff going on in the write-ups..

I think its awesome. I'll comment more after it. :)

Currently active Mafia Games

DIY Mafia by MadDog

Super Smash Bros Mafia

Currently Signing up

Mafiawesome : In God We Rust

Signing Up Soon

Colours Mafia

Pokemafia : Trust No One (Start date projected 18th October)

How are people finding the DIY mafia? If you're not enjoying it please tell me, I'd appreciate it if you tell me why aswell :heh: unless you can't say till after the game.

I'm trying to think of a kickass theme for my next game. Any ideas/suggestions/wants?

Maddog, I'm really enjoying it. Of course I can't comment on my role, or on your comments on my role, but I already PM'd you about it ;). Hopefully I can say this: I though it was a perfect role for me to start out with in my first mafia game. My introduction to it has been great.

And yeah, I do have a cool theme, which hasn't been used as far as I know, but I'm keeping that one to myself. after all the ones ReZ listed, I may have a go myself ;). Hopefully I'll have enough experience after that.

Edit:

But to give you a suggestion I'd really love:

Semi-DIY restricted to Star Trek characters. People can choose a character from star Trek, any series or film.

Edited by Sméagol

I don't get everyone's obsession with DIY. I personally prefer being allocated a role, because you have no expectations.

I think because you can be literally anyone, it adds to the mystery and makes it more challenging to identify a persons role.

I don't get everyone's obsession with DIY. I personally prefer being allocated a role, because you have no expectations.

Well, personally, I didn't have any expectations about my role. I liked being able to choose a character. I just liked imagining me appearing in the write-ups as someone nobody would guess. The DIY one to me was more random, since I don't know who all these characters are, I can't guess based on their appearance in the write-ups what their role will be, you can only guess based on their actions. the other one I'm in, however, has a distinct theme,

and I'm able to judge more clearly what the roles are. In that sense, I have more expectations in a normal game than a DIY one, just not about my own character.

To me, choosing a character is just simply choosing your description in the write-up. Of course, you could fish for certain roles by suggesting specific characters, but it's ultimately up to the host to decide what to make of a role. The best situation of course is if the host can take inspiration from the character without making the role too obvious, or 1:1. You can still fiddle with the abilities to make them more interesting. Or the host can simply disregard the actual character, and make something up. Too bad. You can still be creative with a DIY mafia. I don't see the problem.

That said, I'm enjoying my non-DIY game just as much.

@MadDog: I'll tell you after the end. I do not judge a product's value or quality before I'm through with it. Likewise, I will understand your mafia far better once it is over, and its mysteries unravelled.

Signing Up Soon

Colours Mafia

Pokemafia : Trust No One (Start date projected 18th October)

Hey, ReZ, put my name there as well. I'll do mine after yours. The roles are pretty much set for the Gentlemen's Mafia. There's just one thing I'd like to ask all of you:

Would you rather have known characters in roles (like we usually do) or would you prefer me to use "blank" roles (The Detective, The Doctor, The Judge, etc.)? Either way is fine by me.

I prefer themed. DIY once in a while, but themed makes it feel more special, like you're "being" characters from stories or movies you can't be a part of (obviously...since they're fictional). Keeping it within a theme retains the feel of inhabiting the story.

DIY is very open-ended, and less fun to think about. My new desire in life is conciseness.

"The Doctor went to visit a town member, but was stopped by The Village Idiot who talked to him for hours. Meanwhile, The Detective was snooping around, and tracked his target throughout the night."

There's an example.