N-Europe

(Unusual?) Hobbies

Daft

I started parkour a few weeks ago - loving it. I'm sure I've gone on enough about it so I won't blab on about it. Next week I am starting archery - I did it once for a week about 10 years ago so I'm looking forward to trying it out again.

Also, grip has become a bit of a problem doing parkour so I'm think of starting indoor climbing since there is an indoor wall right next to where I work, off Covent Garden.

I love trying new stuff. I'm pretty much interested in everything (Except cricket, because it's a fucking stupid "sport".) so I'd love to hear what everyone invests their time in! Maybe get some more ideas to try out. :smile:

It's funny you should mention indoor climbing. I've been wanting to start it to help with Urbexing.

Which leads me nicely onto my strange (IMO) hobby, Urbex. Basically wandering/climbing/falling/sneaking into abandoned buildings and taking pictures. It's great fun and has taken me to some amazing places. Most notable was the Cardington Hangars. It's a great mix of photography and exploration.

You've obviously not experienced hitting a decent '4' or done an awesome clean bowl onto the stumps.

It's not as good as football, but you can't play football all the time.

Most villagers that play the game are a bit... simple. Like Phil Tufnell.

Cricket can be great to play and watch - especially now that England are performing well on all fronts.

I'm pretty obsessive in my poker playing/reading/watching. It really is such a deceptively deep and thoughtful game. Helps to keep me out of the workplace for the moment as well (not that I win loads).

Moving on from cricket...

I really, really want to get into carpentry/woodwork/whittling for what remains of this summer, but I just don't know where to start. Probably going to get a book then a KNIFE (stabby stabby) and just go for a walk in some woods and carve me some key to a secret door where a monster will come out and rape my friend while I rescue a boy that I kinda killed but it's ok because he has a talking dog/badger thing and--

I love trying new stuff. I'm pretty much interested in everything (Except cricket, because it's a fucking stupid "sport".) so I'd love to hear what everyone invests their time in! Maybe get some more ideas to try out. :smile:

Don't knock cricket. Try watching it with someone who knows the sport and it can be really interesting. My flat overlooks the local cricket pitch and whenever the weather is good on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon we go over and lie on the grass watching the game. It's great for just casual watching, even if you don't know which team is which. :heh:

My friend was the best cricketer in the school. There was a match every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday on the field my house was on. Hell, I played it when I was younger.

It's a retarded game. There's a reason why it's taken seriously by only a few countries.

Moving on from cricket...

I really, really want to get into carpentry/woodwork/whittling for what remains of this summer, but I just don't know where to start. Probably going to get a book then a KNIFE (stabby stabby) and just go for a walk in some woods and carve me some key to a secret door where a monster will come out and rape my friend while I rescue a boy that I kinda killed but it's ok because he has a talking dog/badger thing and--

Yeah, starting thing is always the big problem I find. I always tend to lose interest. Why the interest in woodwork?

This summer, my sister and I have been trying to work lines from Mean Girls and Clueless into daily conversation with other people.

Yeah, it's funnier if you're us.

My personal favourite; "..Sweatpants are all that fits me right now."

Yeah, starting thing is always the big problem I find. I always tend to lose interest. Why the interest in woodwork?

Just good memories associated with it -- making a go-cart with a mate when we were like 10, made a birdhouse, helped with the garden shed, got a power drill for xmas one year, used to go to a carpenter's for sawdust for our rabbits... Er, yeah. Lame nostalgia reasons PLUS it'd be a useful skill, and generally I've not got anything to show for my pitiful life so far.

Also unfurnished flats are loads cheaper...