NEurope
Goafer

Careers

Partially inspired on by a conversation with the photography manager at work, partially inspired by an attempted uplifting conversation that slightly backfired with Molly at the meet, I figured I'd see where everyone wanted to go with their lives career wise.

Me, I'm kind of good where I am for now, anything photographic is fine by me, but editing photos is only good for so long. I'd like to be taking them eventually. I pretty much got offered a photographer position today (how serious it was is questionable though, but if I asked enough I'm sure I could become one), but I'm not great with kids/I don't enjoy being around them. I was asking what our photography manager did before joining us and he mentioned he was a photographer aboard a cruise liner. Now that sounds amazing and I've seen few agencies on the interwebs. The only downside is that it's really long hours and it's not like you get to go home and get away from it when you're done. I think it's the sort of thing I'd like to do for 6 months to a year as a sort of gap year thing to gain experience (both work and "life experience"). I'd like to do it whilst I'm still young and have few commitments, but I don't think I'm ready to just up and leave for that long yet.

Where do you guys plan/hope on taking your careers?

Thats if you are the favourite one this time around Goaf, or another dude (or dudette).

Career-wise, hmmm. I thought i had my career when i was at Fairfields, perfect working hours, pay was neat, great workers and a job that had all the prospects of promotion if i decided to go up in the world. I could have been at the company for years, if not the rest of my working life. But alas, it was not meant to be and at present, i am still deciding what to do next. Should i go back to retail, or maintain a course into the Admin side of things. Or should i go into labouring sort of work again. Who knows really.

At the moment I'm a freelance graphic designer/illustrator/web designer, however I've never been so good with working for other people and would rather do my own thing creatively.

My ideal job would be to work for myself releasing my own comics/art, so my goal at the moment is to get a comic/graphic novel published, but we shall see. I guess the best thing about the medium is that there's nothing stopping you from putting your work up online and if people will like it they'll keep reading and you can get a following that way and work up from there.

If all else fails I guess I'll have to go back in to office work....

The Internet is a brilliant resource for creative types. Comics especially.

I want to be a self employed comic artist pretty much running shop for myself. That's the dream, and it's a long as hell way off... but it isn't impossible. I figure the best way to approach that is through the web. There are other things I've tinkered with doing over time, but it ultimately ends with me going back to the comic route.

In all honesty, I couldn't really aspire toward anything more financially precarious.

I'm off to start my art-based filmmaking/directing/producing course, where you just try everything and eventually have som semblance of what aspects you like at the end of the degree.

I can imagine myself being on the extras of DVDs (or Blu-Rays by then, or even the next thing after that) as the balding prosthetics guy on a shite sci-fi film, telling people how long x took to make etc. Or in some joke capacity of film. Like wardrobe manager. The scarred woman from September Issue constantly inspires me.

My ideal job would be to work for myself releasing my own comics/art, so my goal at the moment is to get a comic/graphic novel published, but we shall see. I guess the best thing about the medium is that there's nothing stopping you from putting your work up online and if people will like it they'll keep reading and you can get a following that way and work up from there.

I'm currently in a good position but i'd definitely like to be a nit higher in the chain. Hopefully I'll get promoted in the next few month, one possibility could be a very good move indeed. Basically i want to keep moving up and end up in a very senior position within my current company or another.

At the moment I'm a freelance graphic designer/illustrator/web designer, however I've never been so good with working for other people and would rather do my own thing creatively.

The Internet is a brilliant resource for creative types. Comics especially.

I want to be a self employed comic artist pretty much running shop for myself. That's the dream, and it's a long as hell way off... but it isn't impossible. I figure the best way to approach that is through the web. There are other things I've tinkered with doing over time, but it ultimately ends with me going back to the comic route.

In all honesty, I couldn't really aspire toward anything more financially precarious.

...echo echo echo...:P

It's cool to already see quite a few people who want to do the same thing. Who knows, we could be the next generation of comic writers/artists/etc.

I was asking what our photography manager did before joining us and he mentioned he was a photographer aboard a cruise liner. Now that sounds amazing and I've seen few agencies on the interwebs. The only downside is that it's really long hours and it's not like you get to go home and get away from it when you're done. I think it's the sort of thing I'd like to do for 6 months to a year as a sort of gap year thing to gain experience (both work and "life experience"). I'd like to do it whilst I'm still young and have few commitments, but I don't think I'm ready to just up and leave for that long yet.

Gotta be careful about the company though. Some apparently treat you like utter shite/a slave. While everyone is out enjoying the docked locations you're docked to your printer.

I am nowhere near my intended career, but mostly because I'm stuck in a dead end job during the summer to pay for my postgrad.

I have daydreams of finishing my PG next summer, getting a job and everything going smoothly. Its doubtful but its nice to dream. But hopefully within the next five years I will be on track. Hopefully something above a junior animator but we'll see.

I want to become a teacher. Maybe even a university professor. But that last bit is still an idea more than a plan. It sounds a bit cocky saying that's what I want to be. :heh:

I just want to be an author, I have no other ambitions or drive in life, I'm happy doing whatever. :)

It will take me forever but I hope to get there some day. :D

Psychology is just a façade. (is that the word I want?)

No, I'm no where near where I want to be with my career!

I really want to be in photography but have no real idea of the best way to go about it... something like the cruise ship idea you mentioned sounds interesting goafer. I've thought about applying for volunteer photo journalism/documentary positions with volunteer projects before but think I would have needed more experience. And I'm not really sure how to go about internships or apprenticeships.

Photography is what I think I'd really like to do!

Maybe we should set up a/go into business Goafer!

I have a degree in Landscape Architecture I could also do something with, but when I came out fo Uni everyone hiring wanted like 2 years of experience... so how are graduates supposed to get jobs! There may be some opportunities for me to get some experience abroad which I am considering.

But there are aspects of L.A. that I really enjoy... the design/photoshop... and others I really dislike... like C.A.D! But maybe it's something I should just get over and go for?!

Whatever I do, I know I'd be great at... it's just getting there!

Edited by Retro_Link

No, I'm no where near where I want to be with my career!

I really want to be in photography but have no real idea of the best way to go about it... something like the cruise ship idea you mentioned sounds interesting goafer. I've thought about applying for volunteer photo journalism/documentary positions with volunteer projects before but think I would have needed more experience. And I'm not really sure how to go about internships or apprenticeships.

Photography is what I think I'd really like to do!

Maybe we should set up a/go into business Goafer!

I have a degree in Landscape Architecture I could also do something with, but when I came out fo Uni everyone hiring wanted like 2 years of experience... so how are graduates supposed to get jobs! There may be some opportunities for me to get some experience abroad which I am considering.

But there are aspects of L.A. that I really enjoy... the design/photoshop... and others I really dislike... like C.A.D! But maybe it's something I should just get over and go for?!

Whatever I do, I know I'd be great at... it's just getting there!

I've heard good ways of getting experience is through wedding photography. You could go Here and look for current wedding photographers looking for a second photographer or even advertise yourself on there and say you want some unpaid experience. If I were a wedding photographer, I'd happily allow someone to accompany me unpaid as long as they were smart, behaved themselves and didn't distract me too much. Worst case scenario is that their photos are shit, but it's not like I'd have paid for them. I'm sure other photographers have a similar attitude.

I know our place requires no previous experience to become a photographer, our photographers just need to be good with the kids. Studio photography (especially at schools) is more about getting people to smile, the photography side of things is very formulaic (I.E. certain setup, settings etc with no real creativity).

I've heard good ways of getting experience is through wedding photography. You could go Here and look for current wedding photographers looking for a second photographer or even advertise yourself on there and say you want some unpaid experience. If I were a wedding photographer, I'd happily allow someone to accompany me unpaid as long as they were smart, behaved themselves and didn't distract me too much. Worst case scenario is that their photos are shit, but it's not like I'd have paid for them. I'm sure other photographers have a similar attitude.

I know our place requires no previous experience to become a photographer, our photographers just need to be good with the kids. Studio photography (especially at schools) is more about getting people to smile, the photography side of things is very formulaic (I.E. certain setup, settings etc with no real creativity).

Yeah I saw a job advert the other day for a schools photographer, however it wasn't close enough by and I'm not sure that's where I'd like to get my experience.

I've thought about looking into wedding photography... I always used to think it was a bit of a photography dead end, however I've changed my perspective quite a bit and really it's all about gaining experience. And even if it did become a full time career, it's one where you are at least capturing special moments for people (hopefully) and that's got to be quite a good feeling. But yeah I'd look upon it as experience.

There are a couple of portrait studio's that I'd be interested in contacting, but not having the experience I don't think they'd really be able to offer me anything. I can't really afford to work unpaid atm, which might prove tricky when trying to get your foot in the photography door!

20 years old, currently working in an office. It's a holiday job (vacation job?). Hopefully I'll be there until October.

After that I want to study dentistry, but I don't think I'll get the chance. It's likely I'll study Biology or Biochemistry which wouldn't be too bad.

My dream is to become a dentist. If that fails I like to go into research.

Well, I've been working as a Nurse about a year ago, and I've figured out that I can do better as a writer.. Right now, I've been working as a freelance article writer from home, and that I've found a couple of clients that were able to give me a great path in career..

undertaken or engaged in as a means of livelihood or for gain

I don't seem him doing anything else with his life thus its his livelihood :p

Ah! I wouldn't want to interupt him :p Did he used to post on the forums before? I only ever see him commenting in the main page. I'm sure I heard he was banned a few times.

I don't seem him doing anything else with his life thus its his livelihood :p

Haha! I'm afraid you're right. He's still very unprofessional, though. :heh:

This week I started a new job at Allianz (I've been there for the past 4 months but as a temp in a different department). At the moment I'm a "Motor Claims Assistant" basically I'll be keeping the customers informed on how their claims are progressing. I plan to take my ACII qualification though and train as a claims handler.

If you'd asked me at the start of March if I ever wanted to work in Insurance my response would have been an instant "no" but I love it there and it appears as though there's lots of opportunities for progression.

Well I handed my notice in at work yesterday so that should give you a fairly good about where I am on the career path. I've been lost on a road I thought would be a good one to travel but I guess if I hadn't have gone, I'd never have known.

Anyway, time for a fresh start and a new challenge.