N-Europe

Perfect Dark

I'm surprised that a Perfect Dark thread doesn't already exist (well not a specific one anyway).

So I've been playing this gem of a game lately. Just wanted a discussion because I've been getting back into multiplayer mode! My main point of this post was to see if anyone had any good multiplayer scenarios they created when playing this back in the day.

I've always found that although this game offers so much more than Goldeneye (and most other shooters, even today, for that matter), I still prefer Goldeneye! When my friends and I used to play multiplayer, we'd always play Goldeneye deathmatch/team deathmatch and play PD when we wanted to all team up against sims (yes, we even endured the 2.5fps). Perhaps I just find competitive multiplayer more exciting/memorable? Who knows.

I also managed to complete PD on Perfect Agent earlier in the year for the first time ever! Was incredibly tough but wow, what a great challenge! Made Agent difficulty seem so boring in comparison!

So share your thoughts! And Scenarios!

I remember trying to complete the game 100%. This included completing the game on the hardest difficulty (did this eventually) and completing all 30 Combat Simulator challenges 4 times each with 1-4 players. That is, completing challenge 1 with 1 player, then 2 players, then 3 players etc...

For the early levels, I could just plug in a few extra controllers and leave the players idle whilst I polished everyone off. But for the later levels, I had to enlist housemates.

Unsurprisingly, I never did finish that. I did complete all 30 challenges in 1 player though.

Though we played Goldeneye multiplayer an obscene amount, I preferred PD's multiplayer for sheer mayhem-ness. The 2.5fps was just about putupwithable.

About the only criticism I can level at it is the awful awful voice acting. I think the voices were done by Rare staff members IIRC.

And of course, completing the first story level in 6 seconds is an achievement I'll never forget. ;-)

Edited by Patch

This recently came out on XBLA and despite hugely anticipating its release, I never really bothered playing through it once it came out. It has aged fairly gracefully, but nothing can really re-capture the old 4-people-on-a-sofa-squinting-at-a-14"-TV memories.

Also I thrashed pretty much everyone online, bunch of noobs didn't even know how to use their radar.

nothing can really re-capture the old 4-people-on-a-sofa-squinting-at-a-14"-TV memories.

Ah yes, I know what you mean. Many a weekend was spent doing this. The funny thing is that I was actually better on the tiny screen! Can't seem to shoot for shit nowadays!

I bought the XBox version when it came out and enjoyed some some old-school multiplayer (ie. people physically round my house).

It was loads of fun.

I also bought 3 months of LIVE to play it online with my friends.

I don't think it let me on the multiplayer bit (even the local) without Gold though...

Combat boosts were incredible on that huge blue coloured foyer level with the lift in one room. It played like the bank scene in the original Matrix movie. Me and my mates used to play it for months. The levelling up system was super addictive and kept us playing far longer just to get to the coveted level 1. I think I was a level 4 or something and that took eons.

There were so many good weapons and imaginative ways to play this and that's why we loved it. Everyone had a favourite (saved) setup. For instance, the laptop gun was a sublime idea and gave a tactical slant to some of the levels and I even enjoyed the team modes. Yet, for me, it was the good old proxy mines that seemed to be the ultimate way to play this game. Proxies in the felicity. ;)

Edited by tapedeck

Yet, for me, it was the good old proxy mines that seemed to be the ultimate way to play this game. Proxies in the felicity. ;)

You beauty. I loved the proxies in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. What was the huge multiplayer level in PD that had four areas? It always reminded me of Block Fort from Mario Kart 64. That level with the full array of bots and some splitscreen friends, along with proxies and the... item that made everything blurry (N Bomb...? Can't remember) made for some good laughs and crazy slowdown. Slowdown was obviously a big feature in every level, but I liked that Block Fort level more than most. Chuck in some venge sims and you never had a dull moment.

Don't wanna derail the PD chatter but in GoldenEye, Complex or the Bunker + proxies was the only way to play. :awesome:

I have had a PS3 and loved it for a long time, but for the last few months I have been considering an Xbox, just so I can play this. A testament to how awesome the game is and if I had to pick ONE game to be with me on a desert island, as much as I love all Zelda and Mario games, it would probably be this.

You can never tire of this game, there is just FAR to much to do on it. Modern developers should really sit down and work out what made this so hella good.

You guys are missing out not re-living this game on XBLA :D high res and no framerate issues. 8 player multiplayer including 4-player split screen.

What was the huge multiplayer level in PD that had four areas? It always reminded me of Block Fort from Mario Kart 64.
Maybe Warehouse? Not sure. The one tapedeck is talking about is Grid.

Am I the only one who liked Car Park as a Combat Simulator map?

What was the huge multiplayer level in PD that had four areas? It always reminded me of Block Fort from Mario Kart 64.

Warehouse? I get lost in that one quite easily.

I always liked Ravine, which was nice and big.

I thought I was the only one. Tricky to tell who is on which floor using that tiny radar. You could also run around for ages without seeing anyone, to find out that your opponent has been doing the same thing round and round in circles.

Edited by Patch

Maybe Warehouse? Not sure.

Warehouse? I get lost in that one quite easily.

Not Warehouse but I found it through that link. Its Fortress. We used to create alot of mayhem in that central outdoors part with the narrow paths, haha.

I was never a fan of the car park. Too easy to get lost, imo.

I was never a fan of the car park. Too easy to get lost, imo.

It was one of the most simple level designs in the whole game, how could you get lost!!!

My faves are Grid and Temple. I really like how they spruced Temple up, make it look a lot cooler!