NEurope

Lies.

I stayed 'til the end of the credits for the lights to come on (nightblindness) and there was no such thing.

Lies.

I stayed 'til the end of the credits for the lights to come on (nightblindness) and there was no such thing.

:heh:

It would be interesting if something like this did happen though. That was the point I was going to make.

Haha I whipped out my phone, Googled this phrase and promptly left. Nice try though ;)

RE point 2: Not sure if that fits due to there being a brief 'flashback' of 'leo' and Moll strolling through DreamTown as an old couple, and he says to her "and we did [grow old together]" -- they knew they were there, yet they aged. I think the idea is that the limbo Saito went to appears to have been 'another level down', though, of course, I can't say for sure!

Well... not only did they not know they were in Limbo (Cobb began to suspect it after a time, Moll was convinced it was real) but also you saw them both very young towards the end, when Cobb span the spinning top. I think the shot of them aged was just a representative image, rather than what they actually looked like. Or if that's not the explanation (who can be sure except Nolan?), how about this: Cobb entered Limbo significantly later than Saito - maybe only by minutes, but this would translated to years - and Saito had been there so long he'd forgotten where he was. Edited by Shorty

The spinning top? We didn't see it enough times nor long enough to really say.

Shorty; yeah it could've just been to emphasise the point of 'growing old', but they were aware they were dreaming, and were aware that it wasn't real from the start - hence the whole creating their own world. I think Molly just thought "I have everything I want here, why go back?" while Cobblerface preferred a reality out of his control, and always assumed that the delving deeper was to be a temporary thing. I'm sure there's a quote from the film that suits this -- something like the world in the dreams weren't of any value...

Cobb and Molly altered their own appearance to maintain their youthful visage, while Saito didn't or couldn't - perhaps the difference being that Saito had his subconscious guards with him, and maybe they'd've turned on him if he altered the dream? Maybe he just... couldn't control his dream? I dunno.

but they were aware they were dreaming, and were aware that it wasn't real from the start - hence the whole creating their own world. I think Molly just thought "I have everything I want here, why go back?"

Then why did she have to hide the spinning top? She did that so that they would forget that it wasn't real. That's why Cobb had to use inception to force the idea: "this isn't reality" which carried over when they woke up.

This kind of disproves my original theory about not knowing = ageing but I'm sure they got "lost" in Limbo and didn't choose to stay there consciously.

Edited by Shorty

Cobb and Saito went into a dream in Fisher's dream, so shoudln't they have awoken when Fisher did?

Ok, I have a question; I'll spoiler it just in case because it's a definitely spoiler;

How comes Saito was old yet Cobb was young? Surely if anything Cobb and Ariadne went down to the limbo before Saito did? Meaning he should have started aging before Cobb did. Or was there a difference in the limbos? Did Cobb and Ariadne not go down to limbo when they found Mol/Fischer?

EDIT: I totally didn't read half this thread, I get a feeling this has already been asked and I'm gonna try the whole reading jazz now.

Cobb and Saito went into a dream in Fisher's dream, so shouldn't they have awoken when Fisher did?

Without a kick I assume it's like the whole dying in a dream thing, and they end up in limbo. Saito must have known he was gonna be in limbo though, they discussed how any of them would go there if they died?

Cobb entered Limbo significantly later than Saito - maybe only by minutes, but this would translated to years - and Saito had been there so long he'd forgotten where he was.

Wasn't the world Cobb and Moll built IN limbo? If that was the case, then surely Cobb entered before Saito, as Saito died in the dream up AFTER Cobb went down with Ariadne to get Fischer?

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Then why did she have to hide the spinning top? She did that so that they would forget that it wasn't real. That's why Cobb had to use inception to force the idea: "this isn't reality" which carried over when they woke up.

This kind of disproves my original theory about not knowing = ageing but I'm sure they got "lost" in Limbo and didn't choose to stay there consciously.

She hid it because she wanted to forget reality, because she was happy with the created world they had together. I don't think she effectively chose one way or the other, and whether it is that she forgot or not, I think the point is that she was happy with where she was, with it being whatever it was. The spinning top got in the way of that and reminded her too much... I'm now not really sure of the amount of difference between what we're saying!

Yeah Cobb entered limbo before Saito, he 'plugged in' while Saito was still alive. I asked it myself earlier... and I don't think anyone quite knows the answer as to why Saito was so much older.

I think maybe the only explaination would be is Cobb and Molls world wasn't built in limbo, but a 4th layer, and when Moll stabbed Cobb he dies (or could have died from the 4th layer falling apart) and goes to limbo joining Saito.

That would also explain why he awakes in such a random place... washed up on a beach... because otherwise how did he get from his and Molls apartment to being out at sea and washing ashore?

Edited by Retro_Link

I watched this tonight, I have avoided spoilers like the plague and from the first time you see him in the multi layered dream I just thought that the whole thing was a dream of his, I watched the whole film looking for evidence to support what I thought but it is all subjective and open to interpret how you want, thats pretty much how they want it to be I guess, but here are a few things that I thought suggested the whole thing was a dream.

In the film they said about dreaming that when they stayed so far in that real life seemed like the dream - when he talks to his kids on the phone it looks like a dream sequence, Also the grandma person who doesn't want to talk to him (why?) and why is she not there at the end?

The grandad character says things like "when are you going to come back to reality?", "when are you going to wake up?".

Another point that they made was about how you don't remember the start of dreams; you're just there, now I know that is just part of filmmaking but I thought it was very prominent in this film if you were reading between the lines as I was.

The jump from the very high balcony, they made a point of showing how far he fell and he was unscathed, maybe another hint.

Also a lot of revelations just came out of nowhere (also I know, could happen in any film) but it just fit in with the explanation of how you think and see things at the same time in dreams.

I know that the film was made to be ambiguous like this, and there is no way at all to know (if only the spinning top would have stopped spinning we would have known for sure) but the way I watched the film didn't take anything away from it and I still found it enjoyable. But if you ask me then the conclusion I am happy with is that the whole film was a Layer 1 dream that Leo's character (i'm crap with names) had trapped himself in because his life was shit and he had killed his wife.

The accidentally one killed me. Cillian's face made it.

So, I saw this at the Duke of York cinema in Brighton. The sound was incredible, absolutely booming out of the speakers.

Overall, there's not much I can say in this thread that hasn't been said already. I think I like it the more I think about it. For me, in the cinema I thought "yeah, good film" and then afterwards you replay bits in your mind and decide that it was better than good.

The only single piece of criticism I have is with the director. I thought about seeing this with Ine in Belgium, because then we'd have subtitles and it might be easier for her to follow. In the end, we decided to take our chances and see this in the UK. Did anybody else feel that the volume for the music was incredibly high, yet the volume for the dialogue was lower than it should have been? It made it pretty difficult to catch what the characters were saying. Nolan also did this during the Dark Knight, where every scene appears to have music in it. Luckily it didn't hinder us with the overall plot, but it would have made it easier to hear exactly what was said in the conversations.

Apart from that, I thought the film was great. The cast were strong, and I particularly loved Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character. I can see myself watching this again in the future, just to find these little "touches" that you might not quite see first time around.

Yeah I enjoyed the film overall. Though like Jim said, it was so very hard to understand what they were saying. I only understood half of the lines, which made it a bit hard to follow. Though I think I still managed to follow the plot and what was going on heh.

But yeah, subtitles would've been nice. =P

I missed most of the scene that bookended teh opening scene as it was too quiet for me, but I didn't have any issues with the rest of teh film (my hearing difficulty means this is a frequent issue). I've never been to the Duke in brighton so I can't say for sure whether that cinema is known for it's sound faults.

It might be a common problem of Nolans.

The first scene between Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon in Dent's office in The Dark Knight, you can't hear a freaking WORD that Jim Gordon is saying.

And the end of TDK too, when they're like "Why is he running away Daddy?" "He's the dark knight, son" or whatever it is, I didn't hear it at all all the times I've seen it.

And the end of TDK too, when they're like "Why is he running away Daddy?" "He's the dark knight, son" or whatever it is, I didn't hear it at all all the times I've seen it.

Yeah I only heard it when I watched it at home.

I missed most of the scene that bookended teh opening scene as it was too quiet for me, but I didn't have any issues with the rest of teh film (my hearing difficulty means this is a frequent issue). I've never been to the Duke in brighton so I can't say for sure whether that cinema is known for it's sound faults.

Might just be me though. I'm used to seeing films with subtitles, plus all of them speaking in different accents in this film didn't help at all. =P

I don't think I've had any problems with sound in TDK myself, apart from always wondering why the film itself starts off so damn quite! It always makes you want to turn the sound right up.

I don't think I've had any problems with sound in TDK myself, apart from always wondering why the film itself starts off so damn quite!

Quite what?