N-Europe

The Moat Saga

Ellmeister

You're right that there are genuinely evil people out there. Regarding Moat's mental state, we don't really know the extent and/or existence of his mental illness, but I don't think I agree with you on that point. If he really was as paranoid and mentally ill as some sources claim him to be, and if he really was neglected as much by the system, I feel a lot more pity for him than hate. I know my view on this will probably stir some minds, but if he truly was that mentally disturbed, I don't think he can be held completely responsible for his actions.

I agree, I think if he WAS mentally disturbed and if (to quote a phrase the British press love) "a catalogue of errors" had been made by the police / prison / doctors / psychiatrists / social workers then THEY should be held accountable to some extent for not dealing with the problem. I think the fact that Moat harboured so much hatred for the police leads me to believe they had unfairly treated him in the past, again those who wronged him should be held accountable to some extent. However no-one, literally no-one, can justify or excuse the actions of Moat and the fact that one innocent man is dead and one innocent police officer is now blind purely because of his job description.

As for the Facebook argument, I think freedom of speech, is generally a bad concept. Especially considering the level of ignorance and lack of understanding many people who hide behind it harbour. See: Moat supporters, racists, homophobes etc. etc.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guy definately had mental health issues, but then so do hundreds of thousands of other people who don't go around shooting people. The system probably did let him down and I feel a bit of sympathy, but the guy is definately not a legend, he was a selfish messed up individual who couldn't deal with his emotions and so decided if he was going down everyone should go with him.

As for freedom of speech, I think everyone has the right to free speech, but you have the responsibility not to be a complete dick in public exercising that right. You can't handle the responsibility then you lose the right.

I agree, I think if he WAS mentally disturbed and if (to quote a phrase the British press love) "a catalogue of errors" had been made by the police / prison / doctors / psychiatrists / social workers then THEY should be held accountable to some extent for not dealing with the problem. I think the fact that Moat harboured so much hatred for the police leads me to believe they had unfairly treated him in the past, again those who wronged him should be held accountable to some extent.

I think this is extremely untrue in the sense that scum really hate police; if you watch any 'police taking down criminal' program, you'll often see a raid on some drug dealers place and the people harbour extreme hatred for police.

Essentially, people doing illegal things are the target of police; said people want to carry on doing illegal acts and the police are their barrier, so to speak. Hence their hatred for police. Sure, police have previously gone over the top, but I don't believe they go to extremes purely for pleasure. No smoke without fire, etc.

I think automatically assuming people are not mentally sound because they murder is a very common thing in society. Murder can be done in a moment of madness, or a means to selfishly dealing with your problems.

I think this is extremely untrue in the sense that scum really hate police; if you watch any 'police taking down criminal' program, you'll often see a raid on some drug dealers place and the people harbour extreme hatred for police.

Essentially, people doing illegal things are the target of police; said people want to carry on doing illegal acts and the police are their barrier, so to speak. Hence their hatred for police. Sure, police have previously gone over the top, but I don't believe they go to extremes purely for pleasure. No smoke without fire, etc.

I think automatically assuming people are not mentally sound because they murder is a very common thing in society. Murder can be done in a moment of madness, or a means to selfishly dealing with your problems.

Yes, but this particular case does not appear to be a case of simply assuming mental problems. He seemed to actually suffer from psychiatric issues and directly asked to see a psychiatrist for a long time. Also, it seems he was harrassed by the police even while doing nothing wrong. I don't know if these things are true, but I'm arguing as if they were because they're the points that the Facebook group was/is based upon.

Yes, but this particular case does not appear to be a case of simply assuming mental problems. He seemed to actually suffer from psychiatric issues and directly asked to see a psychiatrist for a long time. Also, it seems he was harrassed by the police even while doing nothing wrong. I don't know if these things are true, but I'm arguing as if they were because they're the points that the Facebook group was/is based upon.

Ack, if you see the woman who set that group up she is literally thick as shit. I wouldn't go by her group. :p

The woman who set-up that Facebook page was interviewed by Ian Collins too.

I could only barely stand to listen to about a minute of that damn stupid woman...

"Yeah I don't agree with the shootings, they were harsh like..."

Harsh? they were unjust killings! ffs... :nono:

Her boyfriend Sean Taney, 28, has been in prison for burglary and she said: 'I'm not a huge fan of the police because I know what it is like to be harassed by them.'

I'll bet you do. There's a reason why people like these are continuously 'harassed' by police.