NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ipaul

London.

I thought it should have it's own little tribute thread. Post your wonderful experiences of this city here, along with any photos you may care to share.

I post this because I, somehow, have never actually been. The closest I've been is simply using Heathrow airport, which I love and hate at the same time. I need to go at some point during the summer. I'm worried I may love it, and wish I had chosen to go to university there. I suppose there's always the slim possibility of adjustment.

London is a beautiful place... I haven't been there either, but I have many friends from there whom come to visit me every now and then.

I have been numerous times over the last three years (and am due to go next week, the end of August and then move there in September) but its to visit people so can't say I've done many touristey things but I do enjoy going. I like the bustle of a city so London provides it a bit better than this no-Starbucks town I live in.

Recently (and by that I mean March) I had the day to myself there so I got the tube down to Waterloo (was meant to be meeting a friend who works for TFL but couldn't find him) and walked across the river and casually back up to Oxford Street. Was a nice sunny day and it felt good just to drift through the city.

And last time I was there I had a stroll through Regent's Park. Quite nice except the gaggle of school children that got in the way :heh:

I've been to London twice.

First time was when I was invited to the Houses of Parliament with my Young Enterprise team.. We were shown round the place, had tea and chips on the parliament (the chips they have there a school lunch quality) then went back home. The trains and everything went on the MP's expenses.

I went to London with a few other people (Oli, Wildo, McPhee) for the Guitar Hero 3 launch party. Watched John Lydon talk rubbish for an hour then saw Funeral for a Friend and the utterly awesome Maximo Park perform. Stayed in a hostel then went back the next morning.

So, other than the HoP I haven't really seen much of London's sights.

Is London sucking the life out of Britain?

This is an amusing read. I don't consider myself British or Greek, I am a Londoner through and through. Also the notion that Londoners are "rude and insular" are kind of strange; of course people living in one of the biggest cities in the world will be to some degree but actually, if you do engage with anyone, in my experience it is generally a friendly place (Go to Moscow and then try and tell me Londoners are rude). The idea is quaint and too small for a city like London.

I think London is a great test of character. You'll get out of it what you put into it.

4325751990_c14b8504e8_z.jpg

Edit: It is expensive though (although I'm used to it and just one of the reasons I cycle everywhere). Daily living way more than Tokyo, which I've heard peple call the most expensive city in the world.

Edited by Daft

Edit: It is expensive though (although I'm used to it and just one of the reasons I cycle everywhere). Daily living way more than Tokyo, which I've heard peple call the most expensive city in the world.

But as they say, its as expensive as you make it. If you get the tube everywhere and buy lunch every day etc etc yes its going to be expensive.

I do love how you can tell whose a local and whose not at ticket barriers on the tube, particularly when someone holds up the queue.

You just need to take the tube once for it to be expensive. TFL are extortion artists.

Although I'll give them their dues. £5 for an all-day all-zone ticket with a YPR is reasonable if you're going to get around a lot that day.

But yeah they rip off in such extreme ways. £4 for a single journey anywhere within zone 1-2 (or maybe further?) without an Oyster is obscene.

Which reminds me, I need an Oyster (finally). Does anyone know if the Oyster buying kioskey thing in Euston (which is the hub thing upstairs in the middle isn't it?) will be open at 11pm on a week night? If not will they let someone else buy one in my name?

There's an Oyster Card vending machine. Make sure you have the right change (£5 I think?), pop the money in, out comes your card, top it up and you're off!

Personally I love the City. I'm off down there again next weekend to visit some mates and just generally chill out. Best times I've had down there have just been hopping off at random tube stops that none of us have been to before (well, not that random really, tend to stay away from ones that might be in dodgy areas and go for the ones in posh areas instead) and wandering around. There's usually something interesting going on. Depends on the mood really though, different areas of the city are very different. In a Camden mood at the moment, but that might have changed by Friday.

I presume it accepts card...but cheers anyway, much appreciated :)

I've lived in London all my life (south east London) and to be honest I'm sick of it.

Overpriced housing, overpriced transport offering a shit service. Overpriced beer in pubs, Quality of life is not as good as it was. No one speaks to anyone anymore mainly due to not being able to speak English and people just seem to be down right rude. This all makes it a pretty unfriendly atmosphere in my opinion.

I've got some good memories growing up in London and there has and will always be lots to do but meh. I guess I can only really speak for the south east/central. I have no idea about north London and the West apart from the odd visit to places there.

Stick to your smaller towns people and just visit occasionally and do all the cool stuff. But don't live here. :)

Edited by Platty

Stick to your smaller towns people and just visit occasionally and do all the cool stuff. But don't live here. :)

It's definitely a Catch 22 thing. I lived in the country for a few years on and off and that feeling of the grass is always greener does creep up on you after a while. It did get to a point last year I just hated being surrounded by so much noise and buildings and cars and roads. Did my head in.

I would be in the best situation for visiting London if the Oxford Tube was cheaper. £15 is just a little too much.

I've lived in London all my life (south east London) and to be honest I'm sick of it.

Overpriced housing, overpriced transport offering a shit service. Overpriced beer in pubs, Quality of life is not as good as it was. No one speaks to anyone anymore mainly due to not being able to speak English and people just seem to be down right rude. This all makes it a pretty unfriendly atmosphere in my opinion.

I've got some good memories growing up in London and there has and will always be lots to do but meh. I guess I can only really speak for the south east/central. I have no idea about north London and the West apart from the odd visit to places there.

Dude, we'll have to meet up when I move down. I speak. And I tend to do it in English! I can even fake friendliness :p

I've always thought it would be nice to live in the city and have a weekend house...somewhere. Shame money prevents such things.

Am I the only one that thinks London is way over-rated then?

Give me grass and fresh air anytime.

Everywhere's the bloody same these days with chain stores... Nothing is really that unique. Yeah you have different museums and stuff but a lot of them are something you see once and its not something that you'd be that interested in seeing again.

I like living in my quiet suburbs. I stayed in London yonks ago and sleeping was a nightmare. Saying that I live in a place where most traffic stops after 8pm =P

I've been a few times. Nothing special.

I love London, don't think I'd want to live anywhere else in the uk, just not enough going on elsewhere.

I would be in the best situation for visiting London if the Oxford Tube was cheaper. £15 is just a little too much.

Get a young persons railcard, although you probably alreayd have. If not, it's essential. I can get an all day travelcard into London and back for a tenner, bit of a bargin if you tube it alot.

Anyhoo, my hometown is classic London suburb. Shame there's no way I'll be able to afford a house somewhere like here when I'm older, what with prices in my town being absolutely ridiculous these days.

Anyway, dunno what it's like to live there but it's clearly a great city. The amount of variety of things to do is just unrivaled / stating the obvious

I prefer London-By-Sea.

That is; Brighton. Plenty to do (though I never do any of it), slightly cheaper and -- SEASIDE!!! Also not QUITE as hectic.

There's grass in London. I was sat on some earlier! :heh:

I do feel like there's something slightly better about a park in the middle of a city. Knowing you're surrounded by life but can't hear any of it seems 'better', to me, than just being in a park in the middle of nowhere. It feels like a breather; a reward.

I prefer London-By-Sea.

That is; Brighton. Plenty to do (though I never do any of it), slightly cheaper and -- SEASIDE!!! Also not QUITE as hectic.

Brighton lost any good points it had when it was home to Flink for four years.

Sign in to follow this