NEurope
Dante

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I doubt I'd be good enough to play them. Metroid Prime took me years to complete and Super Mario Galaxy 2's Star 242 actually made me feel ill. Thanks for the suggestions though, I haven't ignored any of them.

I doubt I'd be good enough to play them. Metroid Prime took me years to complete and Super Mario Galaxy 2's Star 242 actually made me feel ill. Thanks for the suggestions though, I haven't ignored any of them.

It's not really difficult. It just punishes lack of common sense/learning.

Really. It punished lack of common sense? What brand of common sense exactly could help you predict that taking one of two equally viable routes through Darkroot Basin would lead you to a corner behind which there lies a knight that turns around and shanks you in the butthole for an instant kill? Or for example, that opening a door at the base of a tower in the same area puts you directly in front of a hollowed warrior with a club the size of a fossilised mammoth?

The game is great - no doubt about that. But it also frequently uses death as a hand to slap any and all confidence out of you - and requires a sort of diligence and patience that not all gamers are accustomed to.

Really. It punished lack of common sense? What brand of common sense exactly could help you predict that taking one of two equally viable routes through Darkroot Basin would lead you to a corner behind which there lies a knight that turns around and shanks you in the butthole for an instant kill? Or for example, that opening a door at the base of a tower in the same area puts you directly in front of a hollowed warrior with a club the size of a fossilised mammoth?

The game is great - no doubt about that. But it also frequently uses death as a hand to slap any and all confidence out of you - and requires a sort of diligence and patience that not all gamers are accustomed to.

You stopped reading my post part way through, didn't you? I said it punished lack of common sense and learning. Learning being the key prerequisite to not die from that spike trap a second time, thus getting your souls back. ;)

The common sense thing was aimed at people with a run and gun attitude. The kind of people who would run straight at a built motherfucker with their shield on their back.

Well perhaps I just don't have the cojones for it. The fourth time I waltzed up to the Capra demon with a revised strategy and 30 firebombs, I still got my ass squarely handed to me. It is really difficult. But I suppose with enough patience and forethought you can get through it.

Well perhaps I just don't have the cojones for it. The fourth time I waltzed up to the Capra demon with a revised strategy and 30 firebombs, I still got my ass squarely handed to me. It is really difficult. But I suppose with enough patience and forethought you can get through it.

Actually, in Capra Demon's case, the correct attitude is just to go in and start swinging like mad. After the dogs are dead, it's piss easy to deal with Capra.

That shit definitely doesn't work. There's no room to maneuver for a start, so you're persistently trying and failing to evade the demon's ridiculously broad swipes. The only tactic that produced any results is to lure him to the top of the steps and lob firebombs at him.

That shit definitely doesn't work. There's no room to maneuver for a start, so you're persistently trying and failing to evade the demon's ridiculously broad swipes. The only tactic that produced any results is to lure him to the top of the steps and lob firebombs at him.

Both playthroughs I just went in all guns blazing and killed the dogs in 2 or 3 swings. After that: shield. Dodging with Capra is kind of unreasonable since the room is so small, so just defend and attack when there's an opening. BUT KILL THE DAMN DOGS FIRST. They're the real problem, not him.

We're completely derailing this thread, lol... Anyway, what's your build?

Oh for fucks sake. I play the game on and off so I tend to forget certain things while I'm having several weeks downtime, but I didn't even register that blocking would be a viable strategy against the fucking thing. In fact, I even have the wolf ring equipped which reduces flinching, so maybe I should try that instead.

Also, it's been so long since I started the game that I can't remember what my build is. I'm level 36 though, and it says Covenant - Way of White under my character name, if that means anything to you.

Edit: Blocking definitely isn't a viable strategy tbh

Edited by The Bard

Oh for fucks sake. I play the game on and off so I tend to forget certain things while I'm having several weeks downtime, but I didn't even register that blocking would be a viable strategy against the fucking thing. In fact, I even have the wolf ring equipped which reduces flinching, so maybe I should try that instead.

Also, it's been so long since I started the game that I can't remember what my build is. I'm level 36 though, and it says Covenant - Way of White under my character name, if that means anything to you.

Edit: Blocking definitely isn't a viable strategy tbh

Get a good shield, run upstairs and firebomb. Often if you're by the edge he falls down.

Just beat him. The only problem was figuring out that you can block his swipes but not his lunge, and getting past his first attack. I've got a pretty shitty shield though - knights shield if I remember correctly. Was pretty chuffed until I opened the door for the key he gives you and got fucking ruined by some fat butcher and rage quit. This is no game to play when your patience is being worn thin by caffeine withdrawal.

Just beat him. The only problem was figuring out that you can block his swipes but not his lunge, and getting past his first attack. I've got a pretty shitty shield though - knights shield if I remember correctly. Was pretty chuffed until I opened the door for the key he gives you and got fucking ruined by some fat butcher and rage quit. This is no game to play when your patience is being worn thin by caffeine withdrawal.

lool. Gotta love a rage quit.

You're aware that Level-5 is doing the legwork while putting on its best Ghibli impression.

That actually makes me want it more.

It stands alongside the Nintendo DS classic Dragon Quest 9 as the studio's best work to date, and it balances tradition and invention just as skilfully.

OK, sold!

So I've decided I need this in my life; the question is...do I front the extra £3/£4 to get it from Amazon and get those exclusive familiars, one of which is a butterfly?? Anyone seen a better price for it than ShopTo?

(i love butterflies)

While having a look for you Rummy I noticed my order I placed on Amazon for the Wizard's edition with the 2 familiars 'checked out' back in September last year at the price of £54.95. I'm guessing they filled all their allocation or something so processed the orders?

Everywhere that still has it now is selling it at between £70-£80... ftw?

Edit: scratch that, I could still change delivery to first class. I guess then that it's hasn't been paid for and that I just ordered it before the price went up.

Sorry @Rummy, time to be useful. You can get the standard edition for £31.46 from Zavvi. Enter the discount code 10POG to get 10% off the cost.

Edited by Sheikah

The Wizards Edition isn't showing up with a price on Amazon anymore, and instead just says 'notify me when available' so I'm guessing you're probably right @Sheikah and they have sold their initial allocation (The same thing happens with the Hyrule Historia Limited Edition).

It's a shame because I really like the look of the exclusive Amazon familiars, but the price hike is a bit much more me (although I'd imagine playing it with the book would be pretty cool; though you might just find yourself not using it after a while).

£31 @Zavvi is a pretty great price! (and if you have one of those 10% off codes they send out quite often you can get a couple more quid off too!)

While having a look for you Rummy I noticed my order I placed on Amazon for the Wizard's edition with the 2 familiars 'checked out' back in September last year at the price of £54.95. I'm guessing they filled all their allocation or something so processed the orders?

Everywhere that still has it now is selling it at between £70-£80... ftw?

Edit: scratch that, I could still change delivery to first class. I guess then that it's hasn't been paid for and that I just ordered it before the price went up.

Sorry @Rummy, time to be useful. You can get the standard edition for £31.46 from Zavvi. Enter the discount code 10POG to get 10% off the cost.

That's brilliant cheers, have it ordered!

The Wizards Edition isn't showing up with a price on Amazon anymore, and instead just says 'notify me when available' so I'm guessing you're probably right @Sheikah and they have sold their initial allocation (The same thing happens with the Hyrule Historia Limited Edition).

It's a shame because I really like the look of the exclusive Amazon familiars, but the price hike is a bit much more me (although I'd imagine playing it with the book would be pretty cool; though you might just find yourself not using it after a while).

£31 @Zavvi is a pretty great price! (and if you have one of those 10% off codes they send out quite often you can get a couple more quid off too!)

Can't you still get the familiars on the regular edition, though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Namco-Bandai-Ni-Kuni-PS3/dp/B008LTGEGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358599249&sr=8-1

Says it just above the 'special offers and promotions' in a little box?

Also; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_171148847_3?ie=UTF8&docId=1000665033&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=0NG9DSPQKS7B6CRKHJ7C&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=365934447&pf_rd_i=B008LTGEGQ

(also that 10% code they sometimes email can't be used with 10POG, as it doesn't work on preorders - just tried it :()

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Can't you still get the familiars on the regular edition, though?
Ah yeah you're right. :)

So it's two other familiars you get from getting the Wizard Edition.

Hmm that's made it a little tricky. 2 kick-ass looking exclusive familiars, or £10 cheaper at Zavvi.

I really would love to, but I'm looking at that as if it were £8 DLC, and I couldn't/wouldn't justify it. Much rather need the monies atm - shouldn't really be buying this even!

I really would love to, but I'm looking at that as if it were £8 DLC, and I couldn't/wouldn't justify it. Much rather need the monies atm - shouldn't really be buying this even!

DLC like this often gets released on the store later anyway and I doubt it'll be £8.

Yeah I'm the same. I'd even like to try and wait for a price drop, but not sure if that's risky.

But then people were going crazy over Tales 3DS when it came out, and selling it on ebay for high prices, and you can still buy it now.

True, I actually did the same with Tales - though play did run out of stock when mine didn't arrive and I had to go with ShopTo. Still haven't finished the game either. I've loved a lot of ghibli stuff though, and I think it'd be a shame to miss out on this.