NEurope
Dante

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch

I think it's a game that deserves full price tbh, here's hoping they sell loads and bring us a sequel.

Full price over here in Portugal is somewhere around 60£... I'm very reluctant to pay more than 20£ for a videogame and have yet to miss out on anything important, this gen, here's hoping Ni No Kuni continues that trend.

This game has completely slipped my radar until now. I feel like I deserve a slap because having just watched the GT review it looks simply amazing.

Really want the special edition because having the spellbook in front of you instead of on screen would be so much better. (Also Drippy looks awesome!)

Only problem is I'm heading into the final 5 months of university so I think I'm going to have to hold out until the summer to buy it. Even if it means missing out on the special edition :sad:

Just watched the GT video now (was on non-flash supporting tablet before).

Wow. We're clearly in for a real treat. Best world map I have ever seen.

Preordered this after watchinng the GT review and playing the demo. Thought about getting the special edition but I thought £60 was over doing it a little.

Can't you buy it from say Amazon UK or somewhere else that ships to you?

I haven't bought a game from anywhere except the UK since I bought my 360. That was 5 and a half years ago.

The issue is that unless it's an online game, I see absolutely no advantage in buying a game at launch instead of a year later for half the price. I'm just worried Ni No Kuni won't be around (not for cheaper, anyway) in a year.

This game's voice over work is amazing, mostly because Drippy steals the show with some fantastic - accent rocks (Welsh fairies, what an amazing idea!!) - dialogue and humour.

So I played the demo just now, it really is cool. The world map looks so well done, it's amazing.

The combat works well, one thing I've noticed is that it feels a lot like Dragon Quest VIII (the way in which the monsters are animated and look). Although in this case you're able to move around too when you don't control your familiar.

I like how there's a bonus for defending and attacking at the right time, it gives you something to play for. And I really like the lack of currency/exp inflation - the EXP you get is in single figures to begin with as is the dropped cash. It makes it feel like the battle rewards really matter.

I really had very little clue what to do in the demo, I slightly understood the combat, but then I don't really play RPG's.

I'm hoping the battle mechanics are explained to you well and progressively, which I think I heard in one of the reviews they are?... even if the difficulty then ramps up during the game.

I really had very little clue what to do in the demo, I slightly understood the combat, but then I don't really play RPG's.

I'm hoping the battle mechanics are explained to you well and progressively, which I think I heard in one of the reviews they are?... even if the difficulty then ramps up during the game.

L1 to switch between Oliver and his familiar, then you select either attack, defend or their special attack (the latter costing MP). And if you're Oliver you can do spells too.

Seems like it's quite simplistic but more things get added in as you go.

Combat system outdoes FFXIII and that whole game was just a combat system.

Fucking hell, just caught a video review of this. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a PS3.

Fucking hell, just caught a video review of this. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a PS3.

I came here to kick ass and play Ni No Kuni.

Looks like we're all out of ass.

Getting excited for this now, might avoid this thread as I still know rather little about it except to hear it's good! Was gonna leave it on the shelf a while/lend it to my mate whilst I don't have time to play, but maybe I'll try and make some. Is there any idea at the moment how much gameplay time there is in it? Main quest adn any possible other stuff on top?

Getting excited for this now, might avoid this thread as I still know rather little about it except to hear it's good! Was gonna leave it on the shelf a while/lend it to my mate whilst I don't have time to play, but maybe I'll try and make some. Is there any idea at the moment how much gameplay time there is in it? Main quest adn any possible other stuff on top?
I think I heard in one of the video reviews or something, that it might take you around 40hrs to complete the game and then 80hrs + to do everything else/get the platinum trophies etc...

I've gone from Day One to DAY GLUM on this. My financial situation will not permit me to drop dollar on Ni No Kuni when it releases. I have lots of games to play at the moment anyway, so I can only hope there'll be a copy kicking about in a few months when I can grab one. It looks so truly awesome.

The familiars level up and learn more moves that you equip to them throughout the adventure. They can also evolve when they hit a certain level, by feeding the familiars their element stone that causes them to evolve to the next stage and reset back to level 1. Although, they grow more as they level up again, due to the evolution.

Each hero can have three familiars at one time, and switching between them is really easy, just click L1 and press left and right to select which one. Battles later on revolve around your ability to switch, as some familiars can't even defend, while others are made for evading. For example, on a boss, you can see the boss charging a move, so you would switch in a defence or evade familiar and cast the skill just at the right moment to evade the incoming high damage attack. It's actually quite deeper than what it first seems.