NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2010/11

So anyone watching the Rep. of Ireland vs Scotland match right now. Last match of the inaugural Carling Nations Cup?

Here's hoping for Ireland to win some silverware :D

Any chance its more than the 500 who watched Wales v N. Ireland? What a joke it's turned out to be, glad the FA didn't get involved in the end.

Any chance its more than the 500 who watched Wales v N. Ireland? What a joke it's turned out to be, glad the FA didn't get involved in the end.

Yeah why have all the matches in Dublin? Obviously no one is going to travel there for a Wales - Northern Ireland match which doesn't even matter. The tickets are ridiculously priced too. Cheapest was 30 Euros for the match tonight. Far too expensive for what is essentially a friendly.

I'd say the Lansdowne Aviva (i refuse to call it just "Aviva" btw) is about 80% full, i didn't see any figures though.

Don't know why all the matches are in Dublin, I think the idea was the "host" would rotate each year? So maybe it's in Scotland next year?

Prices are stupid though, but at 30 euro for a seat up the back, plus travel costs didn't seem worth it.. though I am itching to go see a match in the new Lansdownbe Road.

Halftime now, good game. 1 - 0 to Ireland, good goal by Robbie Keane (49th for Ireland now), Scots had a good early shot rattle the crossbar.

I'd say the Lansdowne Aviva (i refuse to call it just "Aviva" btw) is about 80% full, i didn't see any figures though.

Don't know why all the matches are in Dublin, I think the idea was the "host" would rotate each year? So maybe it's in Scotland next year?

Prices are stupid though, but at 30 euro for a seat up the back, plus travel costs didn't seem worth it.. though I am itching to go see a match in the new Lansdownbe Road.

Halftime now, good game. 1 - 0 to Ireland, good goal by Robbie Keane (49th for Ireland now), Scots had a good early shot rattle the crossbar.

Looking at the stadium its nowhere near 80% full... The whole of main stand seemed to be empty when I saw it? (Maybe that was halftime and executives were away?)

Yeah I think the idea is the host will rotate. I think its still better to do it 6 nations style. Away to the team one year, home the next.

Yeah I think the idea is the host will rotate. I think its still better to do it 6 nations style. Away to the team one year, home the next.

Yeah I was just thinking that... actually before this tourney was announced I always wondered why they didn't have a 6 nations style tourney for teh football (mostly cuz I'm not a ruby fan), and then few weeks later I hear about this, haha.

that would be the way to go if they wanna improve the tourney in the future.

Actually quick question, maybe someone here knows this.

I only just noticed cuz of this tournament, that Northern Ireland use the English Anthem "God Save The Queen" for their football team, but Scotland and Wales have their own anthems... are the Northerners just not creative enough to come up with their own? (any reasoning behind this?)

Edited by Mokong

I only just noticed cuz of this tournament, that Northern Ireland use the English Anthem "God Save The Queen" for their football team, but Scotland and Wales have their own anthems... are the Northerners just not creative enough to come up with their own? (any reasoning behind this?)

Perhaps because Northern Ireland are a very Protestant country?

Wasn't sure who I wanted to win last night, but settled on wanting Barca to do it, since I was to be at a party that night and really didn't want Man Utd fans around me in that state.

Luckily I need not have worried! Though I can't stand Barca either, you have to admit they generally look unstoppable.

Jesus, great play from the Scots there, was certain that was an equaliser, how did Miller miss that, unlucky.... though a draw will still see Ireland take the title by goal difference anyway :)

Just realised this is a Bi-annual tourney, thought it was annual.

Scots have been having a pretty good second half, just can't get a goal. Ireland just taking it easy... maybe wanting to save energy for the Euro Qualifiers next week... but I would like to see them try for a few more

EDIT:

WOHOOO, it may not be a World or European Cup, but a Trophy is a Trophy, but we'll take it :D and Scotland put up a good fight.

And the last two games anyway allowed for some new Irish players to shine after a few lazy sods pulled no shows :heh:, I'd hope the likes of Simon Coxand Shane Ward keeps their place aggainst Macedonia in next weeks qualifier

My flatmate and I reckon that the commentator had a bet on to see how many times he could yell out 'Cox' over the course of the match.

Commentators mentioned after the match that England may enter the next Nations Cup in 2013, that would be interesting and should help attendance numbers, wonder who will host it next time?

Though as Charlie mentioned would be better if they used the 6 Nations Ruby format for matches instead of having every match in the same place.

My flatmate and I reckon that the commentator had a bet on to see how many times he could yell out 'Cox' over the course of the match.

I only just remembered I went to school with a guy who had a double barrel surname "Cox-Keane"... wonder if he was related to both Irish strikers tonight, haha

England didn't take part because they decided to throw friendlies at the voting panel for their world cup 2018 campaign, didn't they? I'd love to have a home nations thing - but to be really honest I'd much prefer seeing a british lions type squad, lord knows though they'd never really be able to play!

The Barclays Premier League has itself a welsh side. Swansea beat Reading by 4 goals to 2 to win promotion. Seemed like quite a fantastic final by all accounts especially after those 0-0 semi final first legs.

Was a great match to watch! Thought Reading would pull it back after storming 2 goals through but it was all over after the penalty.

Nice one Swansea.

Someone want to sum up the shit storm at FIFA, or is it impossible.

At least Liverpool fans will get to travel to another country for a match next season.

Someone want to sum up the shit storm at FIFA, or is it impossible.

Quick summary: FIFA is corrupt to fuck! :laughing:

From what I gather; Sepp Blatter is the only person up for the presidential election now. His rival has pulled out while he is investigated for corrumption, along with some carribean dude, neither of which say they're guilty.

That's all I know...

From what I gather; Sepp Blatter is the only person up for the presidential election now. His rival has pulled out while he is investigated for corrumption, along with some carribean dude, neither of which say they're guilty.

That's all I know...

Yeah...apparently now the carribean dude Tony Warner has an email that suggested Bin Hammam (the rival for presidency) bought the Qatar World Cup through bribes etc...(a belief shared at the time that two oil rich countries won the 2018 and 2022 world cups) and now has tried to buy votes for the President role.

I think its absurd that Sepp Blatter is set to stand again as the only candidate. It's happened I also think it sucks that its such a closed system anyone should be able to go for it. Why should all these select few people have so much power on the world game? IF they do have this power it needs to be more transparent and justified.

So Blatter came out to say the ethics committee had decided the vote was to still go ahead (the vote could go no vote if enough delagates decide that. but then that leaves them without a president so blatter basically is back in again)

My favourite quote from his press conference was;

"If governments try to intervene then something is wrong. I think Fifa is strong enough that we can deal with our problems inside Fifa."

I'm sorry but I can't but read this as FIFA thinking they are above anyone questioning them. I think this is precisely what needs to happen, worlds governments need to not be bullied by this dumb organisation and make a stand.

Go here for what people think should happen;

http://changefifa.wordpress.com/

1. Independent scrutiny

To restore worldwide confidence in FIFA and its leadership we call for the appointment of an open, transparent and independent commission to lead an inquiry; and thereafter enact major reforms that open all FIFA proceedings to the public. We call for the immediate suspension of the FIFA Presidential elections, whether through FIFA Statute 22 or not, until all of these matters are resolved.

2. Democratic decision-making

Football belongs to all of the citizens of the world, so every FIFA member should have a right to vote on the major decisions affecting the international game, in particular the decision on where the FIFA World Cup is held.

3. Open and public governance

The football citizens of the world deserve to know exactly what, how and why decisions are made. To promote public confidence in all decision-making, especially when members’ interests are diverse, each and every decision, vote and action taken regarding international football must be open to the public as well as the actions of all officials relating to their position.

4. Shared power

The leadership of the game must regularly pass to all geographical corners of the world, never lingering in any one place for too long, for that reason there should be term limits for membership of the FIFA Executive Committee and the President should not serve for more than two terms of office.

5. Transparent Finances

The finances of international football must be open to public inspection and of detailed public account including the sources of funding. Moreover, the officers of international football should have all of their compensation (e.g. income, expenses, salaries, costs, reimbursements) made on the public record and subject to independent audit and thereafter enact major reforms that open all FIFA proceedings and FINANCES to the public..

These are the things that should happen as a bare minimum.

It's on the news at 10 now.....Blatter is clearly in denial refusing to answer questions.

At least Liverpool fans will get to travel to another country for a match next season.

I have been getting quite pissed off with all the anti united stuff on facebook the last few days (from liverpool supporters) as i normally shy away from other club hate etc.

However having laughed at your comment this is now my facebook status and txts have been sent out to various people! :laughing:

Edited by Mike1988uk

I refuse to read/listen to anything FIFA related. Corrupt and one massive pathetic joke.

good old Stevie G

article-1392321-0C54D01E00000578-939_233x423.jpg

Is he asking for a league medal? I'm confused..