NEurope
darksnowman

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance

Its been difficult to figure out what KH 3DS is- initially it was brushed aside as the majority of people decided it was just gonna be a port. Seeing as I haven't played KH 1 or 2, I would have taken a port just fine. :heh: However, Nomura has said that KH 3DS will be a new entry in the series, probably made by the Birth by Sleep team.

This can only mean one thing....it will be great!

I'm just happy we get two more Kingdom Hearts games! So good.

Hopefully N-Europe can keep us up to date with this all even though it does look like there's going to be so much!

I am shocked to say the least. It looks...good, and something new? not a remake not a port...and made by the brith by sleep team!?...wow

Kingdom Hearts 3D Connects to Kingdom Hearts III

Kingdom Hearts 3D is the topic of conversation for Famitsu's latest interview with Tetsuya Nomura. The Kingdom Hearts producer shares a few bits about the 3DS entry's gameplay and story.

Players will be able to control Sora and Riku, Nomura reveals. In terms of gameplay systems, they're hoping to show some differences between the two characters.

Past screenshots showed Sora and Riku as they looked in the original Kingdom Hearts timeframe. They reason they appear like this is currently a secret. Nomura would only say that it was a necessity for the story.

In terms of development progress, the game's central gameplay systems are all complete. They're now going through a trial phase to see how to put those systems into the game.

They're also currently going through world selection for the game's Disney areas. The plan is to use all new Disney worlds this time. It appears that Traverse Town and other original creations will carry over into the game, though.

There could be some deeper meaning to the "3" in the title. In addition to indicating the use of 3D visual output, the game will be connected to Kingdom Hearts III both in terms of gameplay systems and story. It's possible that the ending of 3D will lead into the story of KHIII.

Nomura also shared a few bits about the other currently announced Kingdom Hearts project, Birth By Sleep Final Mix. Work on this is almost complete, he said. He provided a few hints about the nature of the game's new "secret episode." Players will be able to actually control their character in this part.

Final Mix will be playable at December's Jump Festa event, Nomura revealed (Square Enix has yet to formally announce its lineup). Attendees will also get to sample The 3rd Birthday and Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy. Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded will have some surechigai/tag-mode downloads.

I prefer Dante's one ;)

But yeah, more news is good news!

Why does it have to be 3DS though :( Going to make me spend money just for that and a couple of other games. COME ON.

Why does it have to be 3DS though :( Going to make me spend money just for that and a couple of other games. COME ON.

This is Square-Enix we are talking about, and more importantly, a Nomura game, the game won't be out until 2013...or 14...or 15. :heh:

I prefer Dante's one ;)

The 3DS will be a must have, regardless of Kingdom Hearts :heh:

This is Square-Enix we are talking about, and more importantly, a Nomura game, the game won't be out until 2013...or 14...or 15. :heh:

Its ok, we aren't in a rush, are we? :heh:

The 3DS will be a must have, regardless of Kingdom Hearts :heh:

Killer app.

Its ok, we aren't in a rush, are we? :heh:

No not really, but I must say, I can't wait for it to be honest, if it's anything like birth by sleep, then I am a very happy person, it's the only game I really care about. The team that makes that makes the other main team Nomura has to shame.

I prefer Dante's one ;)

Its not Dante's though, at least mine took effort :p

Kingdom Hearts 3DS now renamed to:

Kingdom Hearts 3D; Dream Drop Distance

New trailer expected on the Square Enix website on the 27th apparently.

Kingdom Hearts 3DS now renamed to:

Kingdom Hearts 3D; Dream Drop Distance

Dream Drop Distance... 3 D's... I see what they did there :blank:

I love how Kingdom Hearts has no qualms with doing nonsensical things. You just have to deal with it.

Watched the trailer live about an hour ago.

It looks extremely well paced, the action has a good mix of fast paced action and deep manoeuvres(such as flinging yourself forward, diving at enemies etc), to take advantage of the 3D capabilities of the 3DS.

It looked pretty good.

tshirt-m-gunhead-Black-400.jpg

ohohohohoho clever name square enix u so clever n funny n stuf!!!!!!

girl-with-gun-in-mouth.jpg

Visually I think it's kinda disspointing.

It's a shame there haven't been any ports/remakes of the first titles, because having not played any games in the series, what with the main entries being PS exclusives, I'm not likely to get this.

Yeah, I don't understand why haven't released Final Mix versions of KH and KHII while we are waiting for KHIII. I want FM versions more than another spin off.

I'm not saying KH3D doesn't interest me, it does, but I hope this takes place after KHII and actually move the story forward. Hopefully it works like KHCoM connected KH and KHII.

Yeah, I don't understand why haven't released Final Mix versions of KH and KHII while we are waiting for KHIII. I want FM versions more than another spin off.

I'm not saying KH3D doesn't interest me, it does, but I hope this takes place after KHII and actually move the story forward. Hopefully it works like KHCoM connected KH and KHII.

As far as I'm aware, this bridges KH2 and KH3. That's my understanding of the game, and I'm sure Nomura or someone has gone on record as saying those exact words. So yeah, it should move the story forward. But who knows really. I do know there is a teaser for KH3 being included in this for when you finish the game so it does seem like this is bridging the two games.

It looks as though this will lead straight into KH3.

The tenth anniversary for Kingdom Hearts is right before us, now the series is finally moving towards the last phase of the story. This story will be a prologue for the final battle, as with other titles many surprises await. This time, I took on a challenge and chose to use new hardware, the Nintendo 3DS, to present these surprises. A completely new system is being prepared, which will let you gaze at the vision of the future of Kingdom Hearts. I believe it will be bold and have even more exhilarating action. Please look forward to it.

Tetsuya Nomura Discusses Kingdom Hearts 3DS

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix is now out and topping the sales charts. Time for Square Enix to move on to the next Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts 3d!

As revealed at last week's 1st Production Department Premier event, the 3DS title is fully named "Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance." Square Enix showed a new trailer for the game at the event (an official online version is coming later today) and also had co-director Yasushi Yasue take the stage for a few comments.

Of course, as with any Kingdom Hearts game, we'd like to hear what Tetsuya Nomura has to say. Famitsu gives us the chance this week through a two page preview of the game and and one page interview with Nomura.

First, some details on what's in the previews.

A pair of screenshots in the preview look like they were taken from the same spot in Traverse Town. In one of the shots, we see Sora standing in a faceoff with Xehanort, who he defeated in KHII. The other shot shows Riku in a face off against Ansem. The magazine notes that even in the same area, Sora and Riku appear to encounter different bosses.

The preview mentions that the game will have new worlds. One screen shows Sora running through a bell tower. Another screen shows Sora falling down into a crowded plaza (a scene meant to symbolize the "drop" part of the title). These two are new worlds. The game will have others besides these.

Also mentioned in the preview are some of the actions that were shown in the trailer: Sora swinging from poles, Riku kicking off walls to advance, and Sora sliding down a rope at high speeds.

ABOUT THE NAME...

The interview first began with Nomura explaining the meaning of the title Dream Drop Distance. The image associated with the name is "the distance you fall in your dreams" (presumably as in how deeply you fall into your dreams). Nomura admitted that the English isn't grammatically correct, but they were focused on how the sound of the phrase.

Together, the three words have a number of meanings, Nomura told the magazine. On their own, "Drop" in particular has something to do with the gameplay.

One of the points mentioned at the Premier event was that the game will have a lot of actions that we aren't used to seeing in the series, some of which are listed above. This area of change actually ties into Nomura's other big project at the moment, Versus XIII.

Explained Nomura, if you take Kingdom Hearts as a base and evolve it like Final Fantasy, you get Final Fantasy Versus XIII. However, if you evolve the Kingdom Hearts qualities further, you will get Kingdom Hearts 3D.

Versus XIII can be said to form a pair with Final Fantasy XIII. However, in terms of gameplay, Versus XIII forms a pair with Kingdom Hearts 3D and the future Kingdom Hearts series. The base gameplay between the two sides is similar. However, Versus XIII doesn't have some of the actions that you see in KH3D, like the pole swinging. The evolutions shown in the two games differ greatly. The flashy and bold actions shown in KH3D provide a glimpse at the image of the future of the series, and Kingdom Hearts III.

The concept of Kingdom Hearts 3D is "bold actions," said Nomura. He believes that numbered Kingdom Hearts games should have proper and orthodox evolutions. But they want to try out bold things for non-numbered titles like KH3D. The plan is to make KH3D far bolder than even Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. "By playing this, you will probably understand how Kingdom Hearts III will evolve," said Nomura.

SWITCHING BETWEEN SORA AND RIKU

In the past, Nomura suggested that the game would depict Sora and Riku in their Mark of Mastery test that will turn them into Keyblade Masters. In this latest interview, he clarified a bit. The Mark of Mastery test will not span the entirety of the game. Only some parts of the game will cover the test.

You'll be switching off between Sora and Riku as you play. However, Nomura revealed to Famitsu that the switching will be forced upon the player as they play. When walking through town and even in battle, you'll suddenly be switched to the other character.

Nomura noted that in most games, character changes take place at key points in the story. But here, the changes will have nothing to do with your progress through the story.

The Premier trailer showed a mysterious new gauge called the "Drop Gauge." Famitsu asked if the character changes will have something to do with this. There are actually a number of secrets to the gauge, said Nomura. Regarding character changes, he said that it will be easiest to understand if you think that there's something like a countdown event always taking place.

Adding even more confusion to the issue, Nomura said that Riku and Sora's stories are different. They don't have the same goal, and they'll encounter different bosses (as indicated in the screenshots in the preview).

They also have different actions, and even different control methods! This area has something to do with a new system that has yet to be shown.

NEW WORLDS AND NEW GAMES

Regarding new worlds, Famitsu noted that the bell tower world shown in the trailer and screens looked a bit like Hunchback of Notre Dame. Nomura wouldn't acknowledge that this is the case, saying that we'll have to wait for a followup report. The new worlds being included in the game are ones that have received a large number of requests in the past. There will be new Disney Worlds, of course, although Nomura would not give a solid count of the new count.

Closing off the interview, Nomura said that Kingdom Hearts 3D is not currently at a state where he can give a release time period. He suggested that players first take a look at Birth By Sleep Final Mix and Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy.

More mysteriously, he added, "Also, there are still titles that were not announced this time," presumably in reference to the 1st Production Department being in development with additional games that weren't shown at the Premier event.

Sora and Riku to See Clothing Changes.

Famitsu.com has posted a more complete version of Weekly Famitsu's recent Tetsuya Nomura interview covering Kingdom Hearts 3D. We summarized the original interview here, but there are a few additional bits in the full version, including additional hints on the strange character switching system, and mention of clothing design changes for Sora and Riku.

The interview references the 1st Production Department Premier event trailer, which you can see here. Pay particular attention to the intensity of Sora and Riku's actions.

THE NAME

First up, the name. Is it "Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance" or "Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance"? The second one is correct. When you say Dream Drop Distance, you don't say 3D. Okay?

ACTIONS

Famitsu said that Sora's actions in the trailer looked a bit like the actions during his Kingdom Hearts 2 form changes. Nomura agreed. And there's a reason: they want players to be able to experience dynamic form change-like actions even as normal actions here.

Some of the actions shown in the trailer look like they might be tough to control. Nomura joked that at present the wall jump detection (in the trailer, you can see Riku springing off walls as he darts forward) is pretty severe, and the only the person who's in charge of that part of the programming can do it. They'll be making adjustments so that it will be easy to control in the end.

CHARACTER CHANGE

One of the biggest surprises from the original interview is that the promised character changes between Sora and Riku will be automatic and sudden -- that is, you'll suddenly be switched between the two characters when you're walking through town or in the heat of battle.

In the full interview, Nomura says that the main reason they decided to use this system was for "surprise." By taking away the feeling of security players have that if they reach a certain point the character will change, they can give rise to thrills. The character will suddenly change, perhaps when you feel like you want to continue playing as the current character, or maybe when you feel like you'd like to change. This will give players the enjoyment of coming up with their very own strategies for how to progress according to their expectations.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN SORA AND RIKU

Sora and Riku have different stories, with different bosses. While they visit the same worlds, they do so in different orders. They're not in the same place. In the trailer video, we see them in the same place, but this is rare.

The two characters have different actions, and different control methods. This area is related to a new system that has yet to be announced, said Nomura. You can think of the differences as being the same level as how in Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories Sora's card deck could be freely set while Riku used a preset deck.

MAIN VISUAL

The image you see at the upper right of this article is the first image visual for the game. It was made with Disney anime packaging in mind, said Nomura.

Nomura actually hasn't drawn any specific drawings for Kingdom Hearts 3D yet. He's actually looking into an idea of changing Sora and Riku's clothing. One of the reasons for this is that if the characters appear in the same clothing, some people might think that KH3D is a remake.

Of course, Sora and Riku have to appear in their original Kingdom Hearts forms as part of the story. Nomura said that he's considering having them appear in their current clothing at the start of the game, and change midway through.

Who?

Looking forward to this a lot. The spin offs have yet to disappoint me the slighest and I'm sure I will have a great time with this one too.