NEurope
Retro_Link

PilotWings Resort

Has someone mocked that up, or are UK boxes missing the disclaimer?

Although I'm glad this is coming day one, i'm not sure there's much substance to it.

Boxes look weird with the 3DS logo on the right, still used to the DS boxes I suppose.

Although I'm glad this is coming day one, i'm not sure there's much substance to it.

found it on Gonintendo

Put some faith in Nintendo. If you just go by the demo, which people are, then you can say the same about all games, such as OoT only being in Kokiri Forest/Deku Tree

Nyaaahhh, launch title yay! Will also wait reviews though. Does look fun however.

I'll be buying it on launch and hopefully reviewing the title if that helps.

Put some faith in Nintendo. If you just go by the demo, which people are, then you can say the same about all games, such as OoT only being in Kokiri Forest/Deku Tree

The only issue there is that OoT then spreads out into a huge world with many different things to do in it.

Although im sure there's a good bit more to do in the full Pilotwings Resort, I do think it is probably all on the same island.

I'm not, I'm going by the boxart which is a reflection on the game to inform customers of what to expect. Wii Sports Resort had 6 games on the cover, Wii Sports had all 5.

Do you not think it's kinda strange that everything we've seen of this game to date has been those 3 games, there hasn't been even one deviation anywhere.

I more than hope I'm wrong because I'd like to get the game, but not if it's this basic, and I've already done the plane stuff!

I think the problem here is that people are comparing this with Wii Sports Resort a bit too much and while that may have had a basic flight mode using planes, that wasn't supposed to be the main focus though as there were five other events set across the island.

But with Pilotwings all of the modes are aerial-based as that's the way its always been and so I think what we'll see with Pilotwings Resort is actually a far deeper gameplay experience than Wii Sports could ever hope for as Pilotwings games have traditionally always been awesome.

Now admittedly by setting the game on an island which has been used previously in Wii Sports etc this only leads to inevitable comparison but I can see why Nintendo have chosen to take this route as it's a) a familiar setting b) an exisiting area meaning most of the work is already done c) it makes the game more casual-friendly.

Hopefully using the Resort Island means that it will attract a larger audience while the gameplay will hopefully remain faithful to the previous games meaning that the game should deliver an authentic Pilotwings experience. Plus being that all they've really done here is adapt a particular game franchise to an existing setting means that it hasn't taken up as much time as it would have if a new setting had been required which in turn means we get it for the launch of the 3DS and it seems to be a decent showcase title to boot.

Overall I think Nintendo have done well in actually managing to bring back a classic franchise and give it to us in time for launch, we'll see if it actually turns out to be decent or not on its release but tbh I have a lot of faith in it. :)

Do I think that the title will have long-term staying powerful? Not really but then that's not what I'm expecting from it though... if it proves me wrong on that matter then I'll be even happier. :D

OK, well like I said, I hope I'm wrong. But I have a feeling this isn't really gonna be Pilotwings, more Wii Sport Resort Airplane Plus.

I'm not sure what your point was. The SNES box should be discounted because it's just a piece of rubbish artwork, and the N64 box may only have 1 vehicle on it, but that was to emphasise a new addition to the pilotwings line-up.

I wouldn't disregard the 3DS box-art so easily.

But I have a feeling this isn't really gonna be Pilotwings, more Wii Sport Resort Airplane Plus.

Agreed

The only issue there is that OoT then spreads out into a huge world with many different things to do in it.

Although im sure there's a good bit more to do in the full Pilotwings Resort, I do think it is probably all on the same island.

Wuhu Island is just too small - heck I can run its circumference in 10 minutes.

I'm not sure what your point was. The SNES box should be discounted because it's just a piece of rubbish artwork, and the N64 box may only have 1 vehicle on it, but that was to emphasise a new addition to the pilotwings line-up.

I wouldn't disregard the 3DS box-art so easily.

Don't know how I can make it any clearer, so you're going to have to remain unsure of my point. :blank:

For what it's worth though (and like I mentioned in that post), I agree with you and Retro_Link when it comes to suspecting this might not be as in-depth as previous Pilotwings games.

It could be just those 3 vehicles and Wuhu Island, in which case the box-art tells the whole story... And my point, was pointless. :laughing:

Is the Resort Island the only level?

It does seem strange that Nintendo find it so hard to top games like Pilotwings 64 and Starfox 64 which was released so many years ago...

Wuhu Island is just too small - heck I can run its circumference in 10 minutes.

Unless I'm mistaken, I doubt it will be a carbon copy of the Wuhu Island from WSR. It's not like Hyrule is exactly the same in every Zelda game.

Unless I'm mistaken, I doubt it will be a carbon copy of the Wuhu Island from WSR. It's not like Hyrule is exactly the same in every Zelda game.

It looked almost identical in the version I played.

Yeah I think it is an identicle version. Albeit, I think they've added a few extra landmarks etc...

Are you honestly comparing Wuhu Island with Hyrule?

It's identical to WSR.

Are you honestly comparing Wuhu Island with Hyrule?

No, I'm suggesting that like most Nintendo games, they recreate areas differently in each of their titles.

It looked almost identical in the version I played.

Oh, that sucks then. :red:

On one hand, its possible that Wuhu is just one of many islands or that the ocean provides an area of gameplay - landing on floating platforms etc - but I'm not expecting much more than we've already seen: this is a launch game for a system Nintendo is not fully prepared to launch.

Oh, that sucks then. :red:

Well, they did say they wanted to use Wuhu Island like a game character, appearing in various games! I don't really mind, to be honest..

It would be nice to have a few more areas available in Pilotwings Resort, but I'd probably rather see Wuhu Island go through different seasons to see what sort of things go on in Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter :smile:

I always wanted an expanded (bigger) WuHu island for the Wii 2 (inbuilt) that acts as a hub for online interaction. Where you could join groups and engage in games, scavenger quests etc. It would use connect24 to update with new games/missions/quests etc. Would change with the seasons and offer different activities each day. It sounds alot more exciting than I'm describing.

Played this yesterday and its fantastic, looks as good as a wii game and the 3d effect is nice. Most importantly it controls like a dream with the new slider control, Definate day 1 purchase

That's what I like to hear! Some actual positive feedback from someone who has actually played the game, this just reinforces my decision to buy the game at launch. :)