Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro_Link

I'm loving this game so far, only up to world 4 but I've loved every minute of it up to now... long may it continue!

I get the "it doesn't feel quite like the old DKC games" but as far as not got a patch on them, I think this one has been better up to now. The level design is awesome!

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the criticism with the music, because apart from the Metroid Prime 2 sounding "Tidal Terror" theme, the OST is great.

Whilst it does sound like Donkey Kong just stepped foot in the Sanctuary Fortress, it's still a good track and better than the other original pieces I thought... even if there aren't many to choose from.

I am missing something? I'm absolutely atrocious at Time Trials, and at best can just nab getting Bronze. Any suggestions? I usually have a hard time fighting the controls in TT. :(

Unless you want to practise each level for hours, you might as well accept that you aren't going to do it.

I got gold on the first level after an hour of practise. Maybe one other level two, but the majority are practically impossible.

Yes and No.

I can see why alot of people don't have a problem with Returns as it really is a solid game ( I enjoyed my journey to 100% immensly ) BUT when you do compare it to the originals it's not a patch on them, which is why I can see where darksnowman is coming from.

Many ( including myself ) were expecting a return to the jungle to fight the Kremlings, ride some animal buddies and soak up the atmosphere of this new DCK game. Retro had other idea's though....

Things that made the original games what they were are missing from this. The Kremlings, the animals, the music, the underwater stages, the list goes on. If they wanted to give the series a rebirth then they should have looked at EVERYTHING that made the DKC games what they were and incoporated them into the new game. What seems to have happened was that Retro figured that the platforming is all that mattered and then slapped the DKC name on it.

As I said earlier, I enjoyed my time on the game, it was great fun, but it rarely felt like the original DKC games.

But why do we need the same fucking game over and over again? It was getting stale, Nintendo knew that even Rare knew that, Retro has brought life back into the series. I will keep going on about Donkey Kong Country 3, the game is perhaps far bigger and far better then the other Donkey Kong Country games, yet is considered the worst. And the designs and everything about the old Donkey Kong games are pure bad designs now, seriously, wanting to the Kremlings back is just awful

Kingkrool.jpg

How anyone can tell me that looks good today in this day and age, it's plain awful. I love the new enemies, the simple designs is exactly what Donkey Kong needed.

TikiTakTribe.png

Returns has better style, better level design, is more fun, and the game is all about Donkey Kong. Next game can have underwater, only if it works well, I think I would be bored to death having the same old underwater levels in the Donkey Kong games.

But yeah that ends my rant, I prefer this game over the others easily. Wii has the greatest platformers ever created, suck it haters :D:D

I keep meaning to do a huge multi-quoted reply to this thread. Basically, I'm glad that people are now willing to admit that DKC Returns is rubbish as a DKC game. With ReZ thanking everyone that says anything good about the game I was worried I'd stepped into the twilight zone.

The Tiki are gay.

I don't think it is. :blush:

You're dead in GoldenEye.

A couple of things I've enjoyed in DKC Returns is the rocket level in world two, the last level I did in the cave world where monty mole was throwing bob-ombs from a foreground minecart and 1-K. I learned from 1-K that they have kept the tradition of killing eight baddies in a row yields a life. Finally something in this game that makes sense!

I played some weird platformer the other day. I think it was an old one. It was set in a jungle and there were loads of what can only be described as retarded alligators as enemies. It had this really washed out look that makes me glad we've moved past pre-rendered graphics in this day and age. The controls were a bit annoying, especially seeing as I pretty much has to mash the run button down to clear most of the jumps, and the collision-detection with a lot of enemies was awful by today's standards. The game also kept throwing up loads of cumbersome water levels, which are never a good sign in platformers. Loads of my friends insist that they're actually genius, but I really don't see it. Maybe they're distracted by the lovely music, but they're just as monotonous as they are in any game.

I'm so glad Donkey Kong Country Returns isn't like this game.

-----

Now... obviously, that sounds like a ridiculous thing to most people here. Those are not exactly my sentiments, though they are an exaggerated version of what I think about the original DKC games. The first time I played DKC was in July 2010. I also bought DKC2 about four months later. I had very warm feelings towards them, and I could appreciate they were something of a peak at the time, but I just didn't buy into the messianic culture surrounding them.

Just as it would probably be fascinating to gauge the reaction of a kid today playing a NES game, I found it quite interesting how my views playing DKC in 2010 contrasted with people who experienced those games sixteen years ago. Some of you were kids, others not necessarily. To say that the love that shines through today when those fans bash Returns is down to a case of rose-tinted spectacles feels like it's too easy a counter-argument. But I can't help but suspect exactly that when it seems the crux of the argument is:

"

Returns is technically a good game, but it isn't a DKC game

"

What does this even mean?

No, I'm serious. There is no way I can settle on this until someone at at least tries to explain to me why this needs to be the same as something else to be as good as it.*

*I may stop caring again when the effect of this coffee dies down.

Edited by D_prOdigy

This thread is sexual. I can feel the testosterone bubbling under.

DKC3 pwns all DK games. This included. DKR should have had a mini game called Swanky's Waggles. Rare would have brought some soul/humour to this somewhat 'awesome' 2D game.

At times it seems that the characters have been reset. Cranky is peripheral and has no banter for instance. By the bandana of Funky I could go on but it's still a top game.

Just...doesn't...feel...like...

It's like changing Mario's core mechanics and expecting long time Mario gamers to turn a blind eye. The roll mechanic was pivotal to the original, now it's...meh.

The roll mechanic was pivotal to the original, now it's...meh.

I never EVER rolled in the original games. There was never a need. It really annoyed me that rolling was mapped to the same button as running, because it'd spoil the feel of the run. I'm glad Retro did what many developers still don't do and used the analogue stick in the proper way; so there isn't any NEED for a run button. Makes it feel so much purer.

The two rocket levels in the cave world are high points for me. Monty Mole Patrol and Keese's Crowded Cavern. The music for the rocket stages is super too. Reminds me of Mr. Bonejangles tune from the Corpse Bride.

Enough with the positivity - once again that boss was utter tosh!

This thread is sexual. I can feel the testosterone bubbling under.

DKC3 pwns all DK games. This included. DKR should have had a mini game called Swanky's Waggles. Rare would have brought some soul/humour to this somewhat 'awesome' 2D game.

At times it seems that the characters have been reset. Cranky is peripheral and has no banter for instance. By the bandana of Funky I could go on but it's still a top game.

Just...doesn't...feel...like...

You're right. DKC Returns is lacking big time in the soul department. Its a very "empty" feeling game. The trilogy is brimming with heart and warmth and fun... this is just... void.

I never EVER rolled in the original games. There was never a need. It really annoyed me that rolling was mapped to the same button as running, because it'd spoil the feel of the run. I'm glad Retro did what many developers still don't do and used the analogue stick in the proper way; so there isn't any NEED for a run button. Makes it feel so much purer.

Dude, what? If you don't roll/ cartwheel/ spin you're doing it wrong. :nono:

DKC Returns suffers majorly from not having a run button. DK runs too slow in Returns. When I played it Nes style, I instinctively held in the 1 button.

Dude, what? If you don't roll/ cartwheel/ spin you're doing it wrong. :nono:

Yes, I thought someone might say that. Miraculous it must be that I completed it quite briskly. Maybe I'll just always be "wrong". I'm so glad there are many old-skool elitists to make me see the light that the original trilogy is some sort of pinnacle and anything that is not the original trilogy, by Leibniz' law, will just never match it.

Miraculous it must be that I completed it quite briskly. Maybe I'll just always be "wrong".

Did you complete it or did you 101% or 102% (or 105% it if you had downloaded DKC 3)? Cos to answer that question myself, you have to use the roll-off-the-edge-then-jump-from-the-jaws-of-oblivion mechanic to reach stuff.

"A leap of faith is all it takes to find Winky in Barrel Cannon Canyon!"

I'm so glad there are many old-skool elitists to make me see the light that the original trilogy is some sort of pinnacle and anything that is not the original trilogy, by Leibniz' law, will just never match it.

Its all in good spirits, me little chimp! :kiss:

I don't care what the elitists say, DKCR is the best of the franchise. Level design is better, the Tiki's are a refreshing change from the Kremlings (they got a bit tiresome) and all those damn annoying Kongs have been scrapped!

Thank god Retro sorted out DKCR!

Did you complete it or did you 101% or 102% (or 105% it if you had downloaded DKC 3)? Cos to answer that question myself, you have to use the roll-off-the-edge-then-jump-from-the-jaws-of-oblivion mechanic to reach stuff.

There's probably a bit of confusion here in the fact that the roll button is mapped to the run button. I personally don't consider the "roll jump" to be utilising the 'roll', it always seemed to be more of a "run jump", like in most platformers.

Anyway, we probably shouldn't tangent too much onto a metaphysical debate over what counts as a "roll"...

You're right. DKC Returns is lacking big time in the soul department. Its a very "empty" feeling game. The trilogy is brimming with heart and warmth and fun... this is just... void.

GAAAAAAH you are trying to troll me aren't you >_< Soul!? WTF!? please!!! please tell me where it felt empty, last time I checked something was happening throughout the whole game, it was insane and incredible, it's the main reason why it's better then the rest.

There's probably a bit of confusion here in the fact that the roll button is mapped to the run button. I personally don't consider the "roll jump" to be utilising the 'roll', it always seemed to be more of a "run jump", like in most platformers.

Anyway, we probably shouldn't tangent too much onto a metaphysical debate over what counts as a "roll"...

Aside from the roll jump (which is a tremendous mechanic, as you can't run into pitfalls in other platformers then jump out), the roll is there for killing baddies. Ever spot a line of baddies from time to time? You can roll through them all. Or ones near a ledge? Roll through them and out into midair and into a jump. There are even baddies like the Klaptraps that you can't roll attack... their existence should show you that the rest are there to be rolled.

DKC 3 added rolling and multi-jumping off the top of water. Good times.

GAAAAAAH you are trying to troll me aren't you >_< Soul!? WTF!? please!!! please tell me where it felt empty, last time I checked something was happening throughout the whole game, it was insane and incredible, it's the main reason why it's better then the rest.

Emptiness doesn't mean nothing is happening, that the game is physically empty. Here, let me put it in terms you will understand:

DKC 1-3 = Dragon Quest

DKC Returns = Final Fantasy