NEurope
Dante

Kinect Discussion

USA Today

•Kinectimals lets you train and play with 20 different virtual cats, including a lion, cheetah and tiger.

•Joyride, a racing game, lets players use their hands to hold an imaginary steering wheel — pull your hands toward you and push back out for an acceleration boost — and their bodies to execute jumps and tricks.

•Kinect Sports has six activities including boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis. To serve a volleyball, you mimic the real motion; in soccer, you can kick the ball or do a header.

•Kinect Adventures includes a river-raft time trial and obstacle course, playable by up to four players. On the raft, playing as a duo, you and a partner must lean one way or another to steer. Jumping helps the raft reach special areas for extra points.

•Dance Central, in development by MTV Games, brings a So You Think You Can Dance experience home.

•Star Wars characters and iconic Disney favorites will be featured in separate new games being developed at Microsoft in conjunction with LucasArts and Disney.

So this is it then, this will be a crazy E3. :hmm:

Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

Bloody hell, that's embarrassing. I would put anything on those games not playing properly. I will be gobsmacked and very impressed if it works.

What a dreadful advert though.

Has anyone seen this?

http://video.destructoid.com/#164359

Don't know what it's from but again, absolutely hilarious. It's is obviously a video and they're miming to it to make it look like they're controlling it. But they are terrible at it. The bit where he pushes the kids out of the way and is severely behind the starwars footage...I thought it was supposed to be the games that had lag...

I really do find it cringeworthy.

It's quite easy to get swept up in Kinect but playing without a physical controller is duff (seriously, an imaginary steering wheel? Sounds the opposite of fun). I don't doubt the tech too much actually since the Playstation EYE is quite good at mapping and tracking the upper body so I don't see how this isn't going to be more accurate.

As for Microsoft, they've definitely done the right thing relaunching the console. It might as well be starting a new console cycle.

The games currently look pretty lame though. Even if they played well they wouldn't interest me. I'll be surprised if there isn't something more substantial announced in the press conference.

All Microsoft really need is a killer price drop. They've already got the horrific Wii like advertising.

It's quite easy to get swept up in Kinect but playing without a physical controller is duff (seriously, an imaginary steering wheel? Sounds the opposite of fun).

The interesting thing about Kinect is that it should technically work just as well if you're holding a controller/Wii Wheel/Stick/Dildo/etc to steer with.

I honestly can't tell if all of this stuff is for real or fake, everything about it is horrendous.

I like the name Natal ("Prenatal vitamins. I know what that means! 'Pre', meaning before, 'natal', meaning ruined.") Kinect is just a lame pun.

The interesting thing about Kinect is that it should technically work just as well if you're holding a controller/Wii Wheel/Stick/Dildo/etc to steer with.

Yeah, but buttons? Rumble? It's all necessary. While I agree you can use the 360 controller with it, at that point you might as well be using Move or even a DS3. (Also, how do you accelerate/break/handbreak? EDIT: Oh, yeah, DUUUUUR. Hand movements and the like. Although if it has to look at my feet I'm going to have to wheel the table in the middle of the room out of the way.)

Also, I think in general motion controls for driving games suck. I'm praying moves integration into GT5 is used for just shifting gears. I think that would work really well.

Edited by Daft

Yeah, but buttons? Rumble? It's all necessary. While I agree you can use the 360 controller with it, at that point you might as well be using Move or even a DS3. (Also, how do you accelerate/break/handbreak? EDIT: Oh, yeah, DUUUUUR. Hand movements and the like. Although if it has to look at my feet I'm going to have to wheel the table in the middle of the room out of the way.)

Also, I think in general motion controls for driving games suck. I'm praying moves integration into GT5 is used for just shifting gears. I think that would work really well.

Yeah bit odd simulating driving without having a physical object for your hands to hold.

Don't know what it's from but again, absolutely hilarious. It's is obviously a video and they're miming to it to make it look like they're controlling it.

340x.gif

It's quite easy to get swept up in Kinect but playing without a physical controller is duff (seriously, an imaginary steering wheel? Sounds the opposite of fun)

Kinect - A rejects way to play games.

C'mon, you see some people (mainly kids) playing "racing" with imaginary wheels and all that. This is suited for them to a tee.

The name is pretty lame to be fair, should have left it at Natal.

And i remember as well the fuss made on here when Revolution was re-named "Wii". And look at how that worked out.

Yeah I still can't see myself buying one. I've got a Wii downstairs that isn't receiving much love. If I find the need to wave my limbs around I'll go load up something on that.

Bah, terrible name they should have stuck with Natal.

GAME has had preorders up since yesterday for a £20 (refundable) deposit online, though the way they word it sounds like your preordering your preorder to me.

HAHA THIS is natal?

Those are the best games they could come up?.... wow

I'll defend the name, because think about who it's aimed at. Natal sounds too intimadating just like revolution did for wii.

I'll defend the name, because think about who it's aimed at. Natal sounds too intimadating just like revolution did for wii.

Kinect sounds more intimidating to me :heh:.

Kinect sounds more intimidating to me :heh:.

haha but at least you know what it does. What the fuck is a natal lol. Means birth or something but apparantly

"As a place name, Natal usually relates to the Portuguese word for Christmas"

Can just imagine the background to this name calling though

wii - we

kinect- connect.........Oh I see what you did there MS......

we live in dark times people....

Wii - We, us, playing together, connecting

Move - Well...movement, obviously.

Kinect - From Kinetic (i.e. movement) and Connect.

funnily enough I think the name is about the only thing they've done right here so far.

Truely aweful name, and not at all impressed with those horrible fake videos.

But I'm happy to wait and see what other games are at and announced at E3.

Funny Kotaku comments:

340x.gif

"he was a visionary after all"

"Meanwhile, at Sony HQ"

340x.jpg

340x.jpg

But seriously... this thing is kind of lame.

But was anyone expecting anything else in all honesty?

GAME has had preorders up since yesterday for a £20 (refundable) deposit online, though the way they word it sounds like your preordering your preorder to me.

'Register your interest'?

Bloody hell, that's embarrassing. I would put anything on those games not playing properly. I will be gobsmacked and very impressed if it works.

What a dreadful advert though.

Has anyone seen this?

http://video.destructoid.com/#164359

Thats one of them !think adverts about not wearing a seatbelt.

Seen this?

@geoffkeighley ur account was inactive for a bit. Does this trending #spaceponcho thing block all external transmissions? #WhatsThatFriend?

Hmm don't particularly like either name they came up with. To be honest when I play games it's usually for a bit of mindless escapism and to chill out. Last thing I really want to do after work is jump around. Even if they had it working with a FPS I wouldn't want to constantly hold up my arms aiming for several hours or keep ducking behind my chair for cover. This just doesn't do anything for me personally. I'm sure it'd be great for like party sessions and the tech is amazing but.....nah. Also the name keeps making me think of Lego for some reason.