NEurope
Ren of Heavens

GoldenEye 007

Yeah I picked it up for £17.99 from Amazon. Should arrive week after Christmas I guess.

I prefer that it's Daniel Craig, never liked Pierce Brosnan

Just bought this from amazon with free delivery about 3 days ago and it came yesterday which I was amazed at with all the snow that weve got. So far liking it, not sure what controls I like best yet though, ive been playing with wii and nunchuck ut today I played witht he cube controller and thought that was pretty good. It is very Call of Duty like which is no bad thing, ive yet to play the split screen mode which im looking forward to.

I'm surprised at both how much time I've already put into this and just how good it is. Voice acting, music, et al are all very classy and we already knew just how much was being put into the presentation. But I'm finding myself utterly addicted to the single-player campaign. The missions are really very pleasingly long, and there are a tonne of ways you can go about progressing through them.

The multiplayer may be a different story, but I'd have to disagree with the comparisons to Call of Duty. Those games always felt a lot more linear and set-piece driven to me, plus there's the stealth aspect in this which works very well if you're skillful enough. Haven't put much time into multiplayer, but yes, I imagine it does feel like Call of Duty, though virtually every FPS does essentially feel the same online...

I love my P99 silencer. And fire extinguishers.

Edited by D_prOdigy

After having played this New! GoldenEye at the house of the rising / nando / the other week, I was prepared for a learning curve. I've put about an hour in (or more, not sure if the mission time includes deaths and restarts...?), and I'm up to the runway. The game is epic. Epic. This is probably down to the fact that I've basically played no FPS since the N64, RedSteel 1+2 aside. I take it this level of craziness and being bombarded with baddies, explosions and what seems like fairly open levels is standard for CoD, etc nowadays. For me it is not.

I can't get the right balance between being Bond/ Sam Fisher and running and gunning. I'm getting used to the looking down the barrel of the gun mechanic but I still prefer to point and shoot while strafing. From being worried about the characters likenesses not being recaptured in this new GoldenEye, to being jarred by the new Trevelyn when I first played it, I've learned to now enjoy it for what it is. Pierce Brosnan, Sean Bean and co would be preferable, but I've accepted that they aren't in this re-imagining. Maybe the most annoying "modern" aspect they've adopted is limiting how many guns you can carry. Stupid realism.

I just... I mean... do you remember what the runway was like in the original?! It was a wee thirty second romp and you unlocked DK mode, without even knowing there were cheats to unlock. I had a quick look at this new version a minute ago and... :o... :blank:... there were explosions everywhere, things burning, choppers in the air, rockets flying around, bullets fizzing at me from all angles... and more explosions at every turn. :o

This is not your fathers GoldenEye.

After having played this New! GoldenEye at the house of the rising / nando / the other week, I was prepared for a learning curve. I've put about an hour in (or more, not sure if the mission time includes deaths and restarts...?), and I'm up to the runway. The game is epic. Epic. This is probably down to the fact that I've basically played no FPS since the N64, RedSteel 1+2 aside.
I'm pretty much the same as you... although I haven't started Goldeneye yet, I haven't played any of the 'next-gen' shooters, and I think this will be my first FPS since Goldeneye and a bit of Timesplitters 2!

Very much looking forward to it!!

What control scheme did you use and what would others recommend?

I turned it on and had a little look at the options... and was wondering about using Experienced 1 (is that what it's called, something like that)?... because I'm not sure I want to use auto-aim... or should I?

I was utterly baffled by all the custom control options, I wouldn't even know how to go about starting to set it up... but maybe it's the best thing to do in the long run?

Welsh_gamer posted these a few pages back. It's what I've set it to and it works a treat.

Go to the Wii's controller settings on the GoldenEye menu, and click Customize.

Go into cursor settings and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 15 above, 35 across.

Set the maximum turn to 100 (which is default)

Set the horizontal speed to 30

Set the verticle speed to 9

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now go into the ADS options, and do the following;

Set the deadzone to 17 above, 17 across.

Set the maximum turn to 90 above, 90 across.

Set the horizontal speed to 20

Set the verticle speed to 10

Set the cursor sensitivity to MAXIMUM.

Now exit those options, and set the camera to; Wii Remote Turning, and turn 'Look' OFF.

Have the Auto re-centre and Turn while cursor off-screen settings ON.

I also always turn auto-aim off. It's an abomination of a mechanic that has no place in any FPS.

Can I recommend everyone play the campaign at least two times through. It's an absolute blast to play, and just gets better every time. The levels are really masterfully designed - there's so much I missed the first time through.

Oh, and the music is fabulous!

Can I recommend everyone play the campaign at least two times through. It's an absolute blast to play, and just gets better every time. The levels are really masterfully designed - there's so much I missed the first time through.

I'd advise to also, simply because the campaign is the best thing about this game and is even better than the campaign of many other modern shooters!

It absolutely shines!

I'd advise to also, simply because the campaign is the best thing about this game and is even better than the campaign of many other modern shooters!

It absolutely shines!

Kav - off subject do you still play TW10 online. Me and a friend play all the time and are looking to add 2 more regulars for 4 ball action.

Kav - off subject do you still play TW10 online. Me and a friend play all the time and are looking to add 2 more regulars for 4 ball action.

I just bought my brother this for some online fun, so I would imagine I'll be up for some action (we've played before). Love the game and just haven't given it much time... like most games...

I'm currently playing through for a 2nd time, this time on agent mode, currently at the station now, great times :).

This game is absolutely fucking EPIC!!

(... or at least until Runway, where I'm currently getting my ass kicked!)

Dam and Facility were both utterly brilliant, didn't mind the changes to Facility... and I LOVE the scripting and how gameplay and story flow seemlessly. Enjoyed the trip down the Dam during the Intro Titles aswell! So Great!!

I'm playing on the second difficulty level, and as I've said earlier, other than a little bit of Timesplitters 2, this is basically my first FPS since Goldeneye 64!

I found Dam fine, Facilty fine aswell, except I missed one of the photo's on my first playthrough, so had to go again to progress.

Runway on the other hand... the difficulty has ramped up considerably! I'm trying to get all the secondary 'i' missions, and the weapons you're given don't particularly help! Could do with having a Sniper Rifle!

Loving it though!! :D

Haha, Retro_Link, told you its epic! :grin:

I didn't love the nightclub stage as when it was time to get shooting, I found it difficult to spot the baddies. I'm not used to watching for them on the radar so maybe thats the main issue for me. ::shrug: The all new Valentin Zukovsky stuff is very weird.

I'm using the default (I think) controls. I might switch to the set up posted above at some point but so far I'm finding the controls spot on.

This new wave of positive feedback, coupled with the low price on amazon and me remembering I still have a £50 gift voucher for the place, I have put an order in for it.

No idea when I'll actually get to play it though as it probably won't arrive before leave here.

Looking back, I actually think this was one of my favourite games of the year. Like someone mentioned, technically, the game isn't as good as any of the modern COD games, but boy is it considerably more fun.

This new wave of positive feedback, coupled with the low price on amazon and me remembering I still have a £50 gift voucher for the place, I have put an order in for it.

I think you should go for it. The thing to keep in mind is that its a reimagining of GoldenEye rather than a straight up remake. If you expect a remake you're gonna be disappointed.

Looking back, I actually think this was one of my favourite games of the year.

As far as 2010 releases go its probably right up there for me too.

Eurocom know what it takes to put a shooter together. Can we get them onto making Duke Nukem for Wii please?

Eurocom know what it takes to put a shooter together. Can we get them onto making Duke Nukem for Wii please?

No way, they should go all out and make another Bond game in the same style as GoldenEye.

Goldfinger, anyone?

No way, they should go all out and make another Bond game in the same style as GoldenEye.

Goldfinger, anyone?

But they did Duke Nukem 64 which rocked. I can never decide which is the better game between it and GoldenEye...

I didn't love the nightclub stage as when it was time to get shooting, I found it difficult to spot the baddies. I'm not used to watching for them on the radar so maybe thats the main issue for me. ::shrug: The all new Valentin Zukovsky stuff is very weird.

I'm using the default (I think) controls. I might switch to the set up posted above at some point but so far I'm finding the controls spot on.

I didn't mind the start of the Nightclub, with it's change of pace/gameplay using the camera... but yeah, from the Zukovsky scene onwards I didn't enjoy it all that much... apart from maybe the kitchen bit.

I'm on Level 5 atm... 'Frigate'... which I'll term loosely because I'm glad it's quite a bit different as it was possibly my least favourite level in the original.

Dam and Facility are still my two clear favourites. I Loved them for their multiple routes and ways to play... where as Runway and The Nightclub are highly focused towards large scale fire-fights, which I don't enjoy as much. With these levels there seems no choice but to engage in a mass shoot out, before moving on to the next 'room' and doing the same.

Goldfinger, anyone?

This should most definately be turned into a new series!

Dam and Facility are still my two clear favourites. I Loved them for their multiple routes and ways to play... where as Runway and The Nightclub are highly focused towards large scale fire-fights' date=' which I don't enjoy as much. With these levels there seems no choice but to engage in a mass shoot out, before moving on to the next 'room' and doing the same.

[/quote']

I died in the kitchen bit and had to restart from the last check point. It was a silly death as I blew up a gas canister when I was far too close to it, haha. From the restart I spotted an alternate route (the Duke Nukem in me is showing here :wink:), through an air vent. It got me past a bit of shooting and made me feel like a genius. :awesome: