NEurope
Nicktendo

Quit Facebook day: 31st May '10

My Facebook is dull.

Probably because I don't have many friends or something.

I don't use it to chat, play games, stay in contact with people.

I have 49 I could easily get rid of at least 40, probably more.

There is only 5 people I really talk to in life anyway!

I barely use it. I only use it to mock people/make obscure sporadic status updates to confuse those who dare make friends with me. :p

I didn't even make it! :D

One thing I do like is having people sending you a friend request keeping them hanging on for a while then DENIED.

Oh I don't like people complaining about someone adding them when it takes to people to complete that process.

Wow I sound more bothered about this than I actually am, I'm not that fussed. :p

Oh and about the privacy thing if you learn anything about me from Facebook good luck with that.

Barely anyone knows about my life. good times. :)

I do hate the concept of people facebooking you after a job application. It's kind of annoying. What you do in your off time should have little effect on your job unless it is something extreme or you're applying to work with kids

Yeah I know what you mean. My work has a Facebook page and have tried to add me before but I just ignored it. I don't want to give my boss any ammunition against me! Not only that working in a service it wouldn't be most professional if any parents seeing what I do when I'm not teaching their children how to swim.

My last work managed to get hold of all my FB details, my activities the lot. And they weren't even my friend, so it shows that last year the FB security was shocking.

I do keep in contact with a few people via FB, namely peeps from school, those who i havn't got msn addy's for etc.

Yeah I know what you mean. My work has a Facebook page and have tried to add me before but I just ignored it. I don't want to give my boss any ammunition against me! Not only that working in a service it wouldn't be most professional if any parents seeing what I do when I'm not teaching their children how to swim.

The instances of someone having a bad day at work, complaining about the bad day in the status and then getting fired are getting so numerous these days it's no longer humourous.

Those are the reasons I'd quit facebook, not anything else. However, as I'm self employed at the moment, it's not an issue.

Edited by Serebii

I do hate the concept of people facebooking you after a job application.

One of the reasons why I left. At least now they wouldn't have a chance of finding me at all, haha.

Also Ashley, that STFU Married is almost exactly what my friends do. You always have one or two friends who posts what they're feeling or what they're doing every waking second of the day.

I remember one of my female friends on Facebook posting every 4 or 5 minutes that she was bored and very hungry...like literally every 5 minutes. So I posted "So eat and watch a movie or play a game or something FFS!". I just don't see the need for things like that. Post it once, fine but post it multiple times?

Edited by Animal

Well if people search my name, they'd get craploads of stuff on the Elephant Man and a load of stuff about a country rock singer in America :p

Ten10 never joined. The flaws were obvious from the outset. Poking was one thing that put me off but I could see the downfall of the downfall in privacy. The fact of the matter is if you're going to put something on the internet and it something you don't want certain people seeing, your probably shouldn't put it there at all.

I really couldn't care less about the privacy stuff. If you really want to get ahold of my personal information, you're gonna get it anyway, so why bother? I've had my personal information online for a long time, and I've never experienced any problems because of it.

Regarding other stuff, there's nothing on Facebook that I don't want people to know. If an employer is going to look at stuff on there and judge me on that, well, that's his loss for being a superficial fool.

So yeah, I have kind of a devil-may-care attitude about my FB life. :p

For me there are far worse websites that probably have far more details of me than facebook. The website is so easy to use, privacy settings are by far the best I've ever used.

Besides why do people complain we should go back to phones? People used to complain about phones anyway and how people lost touch because they could now text.

If you don't like it, don't use it. But I personally plan to stay.

First, it means you can still use Facebook which means a lot more people would be inclined to do it over deleting their accounts. Second, isn't FB's revenue ad based? If the ads aren't targeting effectively, then that's a big issue for Facebook.

Subversion is quite a good means of protest.

This is why I always take the time to read one of Daft's posts - not only is the guy as smart as fuck but he's also one of the very few people in discussions such as these who actually takes the time to think about what he's saying/believing etc. unlike the person who started this thread and is wasting internet storage space with their mindless drivel in the process.

As many folk have already said, it's a useful tool, it provides you with privacy settings that are more than adequate, and if you really still don't like it, just don't fucking use it.

It's that simple.

I find it ironic that people worry about sharing their information yet use a medium that is designed with that very purpose at its core. Retards.

This is why I always take the time to read one of Daft's posts - not only is the guy as smart as fuck but he's also one of the very few people in discussions such as these who actually takes the time to think about what he's saying/believing etc. unlike the person who started this thread and is wasting internet storage space with their mindless drivel in the process.

As many folk have already said, it's a useful tool, it provides you with privacy settings that are more than adequate, and if you really still don't like it, just don't fucking use it.

It's that simple.

I find it ironic that people worry about sharing their information yet use a medium that is designed with that very purpose at its core. Retards.

That's a bit harsh

So calling people retards because they have a differing viewpoint is "common sense"?

Never used facebook. Couldn't stand any of the precursors either.

So calling people retards because they have a differing viewpoint is "common sense"?

Well inputting private information onto a public website then complaining about privacy is pretty retarded.

As Moogle neatly sums up, I wasn't knocking someone else's viewpoints and rather it was their actions I was having a pop at.

I agree that it's their own fault and they should have read privacy policies and set their privacy settings to be private, but come on, insults are never the way.

I agree that it's their own fault and they should have read privacy policies and set their privacy settings to be private, but come on, insults are never the way.

I'm simply expressing my view on the issue - it winds me up that people can be so ridiculous about something so simple.

People are so quick to blame anything/anyone other than themselves. The user decides whether or not their information is present on the site, not Facebook - they merely provide them with the platform in which to do it. Did Facebook hold a gun to someone's head and say they must share all their information or die? No. Furthermore, although the site may use the information for monetary gain by gearing ads towards the user (and potentially by doing other things too, I dunno what), can you really blame it? No, it's providing a freaking huge networking site to the user for free. And it's not like it's being completely irresponsible with it - it doesn't, for (a bad taste) example, take take a teenage girl's phone number and directly and knowingly give it to a rapist.

Your presence on social networking sites is defined purely by what information you choose to share. If you can't share info, then don't join Facebook - it's an incredibly logical thing, hence my (rude) frustration when people complain about something that is essentially their own fault.

Of course, perhaps one important exception to this is children as they may not necessarily understand the potential risks and so on to begin with. But that's a different discussion.

I'm not saying I don't agree with you, as I do. What I was saying is that insulting a person by calling them a retard for that is not on.

I've set my Facebook so that only friends can view my information, if I haven't got you as a friend all it says is my name and birth date.

That's pretty good privacy imo.

I've set my Facebook so that only friends can view my information, if I haven't got you as a friend all it says is my name and birth date.

OMG SOMEBODY KNOWS YOUR DATE OF BIRTH!!! NOW THEY CAN STEAL YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND TAKE YOUR HOUSE AND CAR AND RAPE YOU!

That's how John Travolta stole Nicholas Cage's identity. He went on his facebook page.

OMG SOMEBODY KNOWS YOUR DATE OF BIRTH!!! NOW THEY CAN STEAL YOUR CREDIT CARDS AND TAKE YOUR HOUSE AND CAR AND RAPE YOU!

That's how John Travolta stole Nicholas Cage's identity. He went on his facebook page.

Facebook Off.

Sorry.

Similar to me, all you see is my name and my location.