NEurope
ReZourceman

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light

Tomb Raider is shit.

Uncharted's existence renders Tomb Raider a pointless concept.

Outdated game ftw. Whilst it may be fairly intense in sections, it doesn't produce lolrape in the same abundance as Uncharted.

This new game is totally different though...I'm not saying its by any means going to be good and by moving into the downloadable game market its clearly an admission of defeat on some level that they have fallen behind in the third person action adventure genre.

y moving into the downloadable game market its clearly an admission of defeat on some level that they have fallen behind in the third person action adventure genre.

You may have noticed this is a Lara Croft game, not Tomb Raider. Square-Enix have explicitly stated they're also working on a fully-fledged title; it's likely a reboot that's less 'cartoonish' than the Legend style. Basically they're bifurcating the brand so as to appeal to two separate demographics rather than try to appease both with a single game.

At least that's the theory.

Anyway, there is a proper trailer for this out so I may as well plonk it in here:

Hmmm that actually looks OK to be fair, I didn't realise it wasn't going to be the same as the others. Depends on price, although I doubt I'll get it even if it's a fiver, which it definitely won't be.

It'll be around £10/1200MSP.

As for a release date, probably July or August. It'll be sent off for certification in a couple of weeks, but then it's at the mercy of Sony and Microsoft's scheduling; S-E are aiming for a simultaneous launch on all three platforms.

Tomb Raider Legends is amazing. I will not hear a bad word against it.

That actually looks pretty good. Some kind of co-op puzzler meets Diablo. Yeah, sure.

Looks enjoyable to me :) Always up for any co-op gaming experience, especially games that are built around the concept.

Looks like Lara's been raiding Tal Rasha's Tomb to me. Very Diabloesque, which can only be a good thing really.

Anyway, there is a proper trailer for this out so I may as well plonk it in here:

Actually looks better to me than the regular style Tomb Raider games. Very nice visually and looks like a blast to play.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/06/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-will-not-have-online-co-op/1#c29736998

The game won't have any online features when it's released. They'll release some free DLC on the 28th of September which adds the missing online modes.

We made a decision recently because we were focusing on how we can deliver the best possible experience to the players. If we had launched with online co-op, we wouldn't feel comfortable that it was the best possible experience for the player

Put through the bullshit translator:

We couldn't finish this game in time but still wanted to take part in the Summer of XBLA advertising scheme. So instead we're releasing the unfinished version. Enjoy

This has really put me off it now.

but tomb raider was never really good as a series. The first game was good and I suppose so was legend and anniversary

Prince and persia sands of time rendered it pointless last gen and now uncharted is doing it.

But everything else was shocking.

Edited by mcj metroid

but tomb raider was never really good as a series. The first game was good and I suppose so was legends the remake..

Prince and persia sands of time rendered it pointless last gen and now uncharted is doing it.

But everything else was shocking.

This isn't part of the Tomb Raider series.... And TRII was an absolutely amazing game in its day.

I've yet to play Uncharted 2 yet, which the whole world is saying is miles better. I can't wait to get it. But, Uncharted 1, even though is a really great game, failed to blow me away like Tomb Raider 1 did all these years ago. TR was an excellent exploration game. Uncharted had far too much emphasis on shooting and running for cover.

This though, TR Guardian that is, does look pants and as others have said - looks like Diablo

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/06/lara-croft-and-the-guardian-of-light-will-not-have-online-co-op/1#c29736998

The game won't have any online features when it's released. They'll release some free DLC on the 28th of September which adds the missing online modes.

Put through the bullshit translator:

This has really put me off it now.

I remember that Fable II did exactly this. But I still enjoyed it. :p

This isn't part of the Tomb Raider series.... And TRII was an absolutely amazing game in its day.

oh tomb raider is barely a series anymore it's a mess besides i'd imagine most people calling this " the new tomb raider game" anyway

tomb raider 2 was ok, it wasn't as good as the first and I get the feeling most people just ran around lara's mansion than playing the game.

I remember that Fable II did exactly this. But I still enjoyed it. :p

But Fable 2 wasn't designed around co-op.

Anyway, I personally thought that Legends and Underworld were great games.

I got bored of Underworld. I really wanted to enjoy it so I wasn't happy with that.

I hated how they got rid of the QTEs. Legends is amazing, one of the most memorable games I've ever played. Partly due to the amazing QTE fails. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a game in my life.

I watched some on YT before, they were hilarious.. Some funny ones in Shenmue 2 I did by mistake too.

Any word on when this is due out?

When it is im pretty sure i'll get it. Should be better than that god awful Uncharted series.

When it is im pretty sure i'll get it. Should be better than that god awful Uncharted series.

Not having to listen to Nolan North (based on his performances in Shadow Complex, Dark Void and Prince of Persia) is definitely a big plus.

Nah, his voice works perfectly in the Uncharted games. Its just a shame that hes been overused lately.

oh tomb raider is barely a series anymore it's a mess besides i'd imagine most people calling this " the new tomb raider game" anyway
"Barely a series"? As though the title "series" is some kind of honour bestowed on the best? It's a series, that's an indisputable fact. And saying that this is part of that series is like saying Mario 64 is part of the Mario Kart series.
Any word on when this is due out?
Been announced for a while - It's part of the XBLA summer series so it's available for 360 on 18 August. But the PC and PS3 version won't be available til 28 September, which is also when the online co-op goes live on the 360 game.