NEurope
Guy

The Crisp Sandwich Diaries and other stories

I agree, bread isn't made to put crisps in it. Too nice to ruin it with that. Also, crisps and butter? D:

You people are weird. I don't think I could ever get used to UK food/culture if this is the stuff you guys like. >.>;

This isn't like... British cuisine or anything. This is self-confessed slightly-idiotic usually-drunk salt-based indulgence.

Also the number of people in this thread knocking what they haven't tried = fail.

This isn't like... British cuisine or anything. This is self-confessed slightly-idiotic usually-drunk salt-based indulgence.

Also the number of people in this thread knocking what they haven't tried = fail.

It's okay. They all miss out on something incredible.

Thing is I've never heard anyone here eat something like that, so it must be a British kind of thing. Like beans on toast or something. =P

And nah, I doubt I'm missing something incredible. Like I said I don't like crisps and butter, so I highly doubt I would like them on bread.

Cream cheese is an excellent butter substitute for a crisp sandwich.

Slightly deviating from topic but does anyone put fries into their burger if they eat at McDonalds or Burger King? Haven't done that forever, must remember to do so next time.

And here they come, negative McDonalds comments. I feel them building.

Edited by Guy
Spelled put as out. What a oratt.

Man, I sure remember the last time I ate McDonalds last. It was with a chinese friend, and a white english bred friend. He was a bit of a dick. This is absolutely relevant I can assure you.

We sat in a dark corner somewhere in London. The passers by would look away in disgust. And we ate our cheeseburgers like malnourished genocide victims. And when we finished, it felt like we had left the room of ironic punishment. I could feel the shit form inside my stomach, hours before it would make it's journey through my bowels.

It was utterly vile. And I have cursed that day since.

Thing is I've never heard anyone here eat something like that, so it must be a British kind of thing. Like beans on toast or something. =P

Beans on toast is a british thing?

Beans on toast is a british thing?

It's not something I've ever seen/heard people doing around here. I first heard about it on N-E I think.

Mmm Crisp sandwiches remind me of my childhood. :grin:

The good old days of being 8,9,10 years old and tucking into a great snack while watching South Park. :D

Cream cheese is an excellent butter substitute for a crisp sandwich.

Slightly deviating from topic but does anyone put fries into their burger if they eat at McDonalds or Burger King? Haven't done that forever, must remember to do so next time.

And here they come, negative McDonalds comments. I feel them building.

I love chippy chips in a burger!!! (and curry sauce! and red sauce! Gross? Hell no!)

:3

Basically most meals have the ability to go in a sandwich!

fish fingers, peas, chips - good times.

God bless the brits and their love for sandwiches! :grin:

Fish finger butties and bacon & mushroom butties are utterly godly.

I love chippy chips in a burger!!! (and curry sauce! and red sauce! Gross? Hell no!)

:3

Basically most meals have the ability to go in a sandwich!

fish fingers, peas, chips - good times.

God bless the brits and their love for sandwiches! :grin:

Fish finger butties are the ULTIMATE late night snack. I friggin love them. Also beans on toast is complete win and if it IS a British thing then that makes me happier still! :D

This thread just went Next Level. Maybe even NeXt L3vel.

Run wild, forum. Open up our minds to all variety of amazing lunch and/ or snack designs.

People usually have tuna and mayonnaise. However, I find that salad cream is much nicer on tuna butties than mayonnaise.

Not that wild, but people find it odd when I put salad cream on tuna butties.

Thanks for editing the title, Dan Dare. I'll mess with the first post a little later when I'm back at home on the computer and not wrestling with mobile Internet.

Should there perhaps be a "weekly snack" elected from those proposed for people to try and rate? Is that too bold a thing to consider? It could be interesting.

Edited by Guy

My girlfriend swears by cheese and peanut butter. I told her she was crazy, rightly so. Both wonderful ingredients individually nut why oh why would you mix the two?

Then she forced me to try one. She was on to something, it actually wasn't bad..but I'd rather have them individually.

People usually have tuna and mayonnaise. However, I find that salad cream is much nicer on tuna butties than mayonnaise.

Not that wild, but people find it odd when I put salad cream on tuna butties.

Every single day my colleague orders a "tuna mayo sandwich with salad and salad creme, no egg."

:woops:

He says the important part is the mix the mayo with the tuna and put the salad creme separate, at the top above the salad.

I don't like either mayo or salad cream, I find the flavours overpower everything else in the sandwich. Not liking mayo limits your choices somewhat at the average pre-packed sandwich vendor though :(

I find cheese goes with pretty much anything from experimentation and consider it essential snack content.

Cut open a banana so the skin sits open either side, slice up a Mars Bar into small chunks, place Mars chunks inside the skin beside the banana and heat until Mars melts. My brother used to have this when he went camping with the Scouts and swears by it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to add cheese to the above, but the suggestion of cheese and ham with banana gives me hope I can make it work.

Wow, I haven't had crisp sandwiches since I was about 10... they were quite nice though. Actually, I think I usually added cheese and onion crisps to cheese sandwiches, which works quite well. As for other odd combinations... hm. Mostly my taste is depressingly normal and/or gourmet.

Edit: Oh, there is one slightly odd thing I like. Microwaved multi-layered cheese sandwiches so that the bread goes all soggy and the cheese all melty. Yum.

Edited by Supergrunch

Cut open a banana so the skin sits open either side, slice up a Mars Bar into small chunks, place Mars chunks inside the skin beside the banana and heat until Mars melts. My brother used to have this when he went camping with the Scouts and swears by it.

That sounds AMAZING. I really need to try this now.

Also I am way up for a weekly sandwich suggestion dawg!

I reckon Scoop could start us off with a suggestion (as thread creator) then we post pics of our creations, he decided winrar. Then they start a sammich suggestion - rinse and repeat!

I reckon Scoop could start us off with a suggestion (as thread creator) then we post pics of our creations, he decided winrar. Then they start a sammich suggestion - rinse and repeat!

This format gets me excited in the downstairs AND backdoor area.