NEurope
Dante

iPhone 4/iOS4

Yeah it is pretty funny.

I really want to know the inner workings of the tech behind the retina display. I mean he said 78% of the resolution of the ipad in a 3.5 inch screen. I'm not an apple lover but I can commend good tech.

Although so far the iphone 4 only really has a better screen. Don't think this trumps what happened at I/O a few weeks ago.

Are you genuinely judging the iphone based on about 10 minutes of a keynote? We've only just started! Yes so far thats what's better but 1) that's a pretty big thing and 2) there's more to come.

Can someone explain why the gyroscope makes a difference? I'm slightly confused.

Are you genuinely judging the iphone based on about 10 minutes of a keynote? We've only just started! Yes so far thats what's better but 1) that's a pretty big thing and 2) there's more to come.

I'm really looking for features outside the hardware. Such as connecting to other devices and creating a seamless experience across them.

So far biggest features for me are the screen and battery life, and the use of the band as an antenna. But I think most of the wow factor isn't there due to the guy's who weren't invited to the party.

Can someone explain why the gyroscope makes a difference? I'm slightly confused.

Well I think the best way to explain is to give you an example... If you were playing a driving game on the iphone previously it would use the accelerometer to judge how much you were tipping the device. But if you were to move the phone fast in any direction e.g. turn in a circle on the spot, the iphone would feel the g-force and assume it was you turning the phone in some way, which would confuse the accelerometer and fuck up the game. The gyroscope will stop stuff like that.

The whole thing about iMovie probably explains why some apps were recently kicked out of the app store. Boo at not being free.

Gyroscope means you can play wii sports disc dog...with an "iPhone"

I'm delighted apple have finally entered into video editing on the device. Hopefully they will bring something like iMovie to the iPad

Edited by tapedeck

Ah, right. That doesn't sound like that big a deal.

Impressive stuff with the HD video and the editing.

Html 5 demos may be back. Does anyone know what clock speed the iphone chip is running at. Probably still the 1GHZ of the ipad? Or maybe downclocked it to 800MHz?

Html 5 demos may be back. Does anyone know what clock speed the iphone chip is running at. Probably still the 1GHZ of the ipad? Or maybe downclocked it to 800MHz?

I imagine 1ghz cause he just said A4 and didn't mention clock speed.

Like the new concept of app, apping. There's an app app for that.

Up next is probably iAd

Edited by Ten10

So the antennae is nothing new? Just a different way of presenting what was already in there?

So the antennae is nothing new? Just a different way of presenting what was already in there?

Nothing new but the way they've implemented it should help increase the signal quality. Apparently whatever iphone it is with the metal casing. ( is it the 3g?) has issues with signal quality due to the metal blocking the antennae. By extending the reach of the antenna by building it into the shell, there is pretty much no interference.

Now that is some good R &D. Simple yet effective.

Okay, fair enough. I don't really have a problem. Fine I suppose. Though it does make me think about what it's doing to our brains :)

Can't help but think iAds are going to piss me right off...

Yeah, I'm getting that vibe too. I guess it's better than the current ugly ads I just hope this doesn't mean I see more ads.

Can't help but think iAds are going to piss me right off...

Would probably agree with that but i'd say it's down to placement and size. Some android apps I've accidentally triggered ads due to where they were place but that is down to the developer who eventually moved it to a less hittable area.

I would say iAds should only be in free apps which is is a fair way of the developer getting something in return.

Yeah do you HAVE to open them to close them or have I misinterpreted?

Yeah do you HAVE to open them to close them or have I misinterpreted?

I think they will always be there as a banner. If you hit / activate it then it will expand at which point you will have to close it.

Video chat just revealed. S'ok I guess. At least people will actually start doing it now. I've seen various handsets over the years with the capability but not the platform.

Seems like video calling is wifi based. May work over 3g, but in the first case. There's skype for that.

Edited by Ten10

Aren't video calls still stupidly expensive to make?

Edit: Ah, right. WiFi only....

Does that makes sense?...

Edited by Daft

And the bomb dropped Wifi only iphone 4 to iphone 4. Pretty pointless if you ask me, but at least it's a feature.

I would like to edit my post to say in 2010. Perhaps they are waiting for AT & T to boost their network or for the contract with AT & T to end.

Agreed Daft. O2 etc are probably laughing manically right now rubbing their hands together as they figure out how to rip off UK consumers.

Sure the Jetsons may have been using video calls but they were minted. I mean did you SEE their pad!

Aaaand it's WiFi only. Tell that to Elroy...

Edited by tapedeck