NEurope
david.dakota

The Android Thread

The build quality of these tablets seems absolutely shocking, I was going to pick one up. But the reports in forums about various faults is so worrying. I've seen more people have a faulty unit than a working one.

Edited by Caris

But the reports in forums about various faults it's so worrying.

And is no different to every single device ever released.

Well, yes it is. Pretty much everyone's posting pictures of the glass lifting out the casing. Design flaw, serious problem for Asus/Google.

What I mean is that problems like that are massively increased (probably way more than tenfold) if you look at the complaints. It's a tiny, tiny number. It's like saying that the weakish glass on the iPhone 4S is a "serious" problem for Apple.

My Nexus 7 is fine. Haven't seen anyone posting pictures of the glass coming out on it's own. People with fine units won't really be posting.

Well over on OverclockersUK most people who have bought one on that forum have said they have a defected unit. That's all I'm saying.

Most people on IGN Forums would say they have a 12 inch penis. The national average is still around 6. That's all I'm saying.

Ok a bit of advice people. I've just received a Galaxy Ace with my new contract. I currently have a Galaxy Apollo. I don't really like the phone, but I don't use my phone much and I'm not interested in having the latest phone (I'd still have my D900i if I hadn't have accidentally drowned it). Does the Ace offer much more than the Apollo to warrant keeping it, or would I be better selling it and keeping the Apollo? Also how much would I be likely to get for it?

It doesn't sound like you're interested in a smartphone, so if you're not that bothered about browsing/Facebook/Twitter/games/other apps then there won't be much difference, other then less laggy contact management.

Anyone got Jellybean?

I'm not impressed with ICS, the battery life on it is far worse than I had on Gingerbread and I use it less! I've seen a few bits and bobs of Jellybean but not enough to say 100% how good/bad it is.

So, got the Nexus 7 16GB for £190 off ebuyer yesterday, should have it tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :)

I'm trying to update the firmware on my Galaxy Apollo through Samsung Kies. For some reason when I connect my phone up, after a few minutes it disconnects me from the internet and my computer can't detect my wifi adapter (through USB). If I disconnect the phone and then disconnect and reconnect my adapter it connects again, but happens again every time I try to update my Apollo.

Help please.

Anyone got Jellybean?

I'm not impressed with ICS, the battery life on it is far worse than I had on Gingerbread and I use it less! I've seen a few bits and bobs of Jellybean but not enough to say 100% how good/bad it is.

I like Jelly Bean better than ICS, but the battery life on my Nexus S ended up being worse than ICS. Although that was because I turned on location reporting, turning if off improved it but Google Services is still draining it a lot overnight, haven't worked out what's causing it. Mind you I haven't done a factory reset so that might solve it, but my Nexus 7 has a great battery life, but they are different devices and have different uses ::shrug:

So, got the Nexus 7 16GB for £190 off ebuyer yesterday, should have it tomorrow. Looking forward to it. :)

Welcome to the club :)

Loving my Nexus 7, anyone who doesn't have a tablet yet should definitely get one!

One thing I can't believe about this is the price - £190 with cash back for the 16GB ! Makes the iPad seem like a rip off by comparison. The price and functionality of this is perfect. :)

Was that new or preowned?

Sounds good but the Nexus is really taking the reviews by storm for being properly up there with the iPad in terms of resolution, performance, design etc.

the Touchpad was discontinued and they heavily discounted it to clear their stock

Aye, it's a dead product and officially runs a now-dead operating system but can be upgraded to Android ICS (and soon Jelly Bean).

I'm trying to update the firmware on my Galaxy Apollo through Samsung Kies. For some reason when I connect my phone up, after a few minutes it disconnects me from the internet and my computer can't detect my wifi adapter (through USB). If I disconnect the phone and then disconnect and reconnect my adapter it connects again, but happens again every time I try to update my Apollo.

Help please.

I had the Apollo once. From the first day I hated it and considered the purchase a mistake as it was light years away from the user experience of my HTC Desire. Anyway in the end I put a custom ROM on it and the phone was usable until I got the Galaxy Nexus. I used this particular ROM: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=957123

Ages ago there was a rumour that there could be as many as 5 Nexus devices this year.

We've had the Nexus 7, and there is a rumour about a Nexus 10 at some point.

The latest rumour involves three Nexus phones:

- Samsung Galaxy Nexus II

- Sony Xperia Nexus

- LG Optimus Nexus

Which bodes well for me getting a Nexus later this year. I'm not bothering with HTC any more.

So tempted to get a Galaxy Nexus, only got my Nexus S 8 months ago though :cry: Although he rumours are there will just be a refreshed version of the current GN which includes a faster processor and an SD card slot. Although I thought Google were completely against that. ::shrug:

Anyone recommend some apps or books to buy from the Google Play store, still got most of the credit I got free with my Nexus 7? :/

Anyone recommend some apps or books to buy from the Google Play store, still got most of the credit I got free with my Nexus 7? :/

Apps I've purchased

- Rail Planner Live

- Swiftkey X (there's a month demo - try out this and Swype)

- LillyPad (it's a Facebook chat app, but it opens in it's own window so you can use other apps behind it)

Games I've purchased

- Game Dev Story

- Pool Break Pro

- Mass Effect Infiltrator

- GTA3

- Lapsus

Really, the vast majority of good apps and games are free or ad-supported.